PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Reason I'm Glad We Got C. Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qbert is correct. He's using a harsh tone, but it's warranted given the excessive certainty that seems to pervade this thread.

PonyExpress and NEM are acting like five year olds, IMO.

Qbert has not once offered any actual criticism of Chad Jackson, he has merely tried to deflate some of the swollen expectations here.

Look, I'm actually one of Jackson's biggest fans. I wanted him at 21 before the draft, was thrilled when he was there, and disappointed when we passed on him. All I could think for the ensuing picks was "please don't pick Jackson, let him slide". I turned around for a minute to post on KFFL, and when I turned back they were flashing Jackson highlights like he'd just been picked, and I knew the Packers had been OTC. You should have heard me yell when they then flashed the Patriots logo.

And all that said, this thread is verging on the rediculous. Jackson is supremely talented, and he has the ability to be most everything that people here seem to think and hope.... but ability is necessary for greatness, but not sufficient. I even agree on some of the "it"ness arguments.... but the bottom line is that right now CJ is a guy who is still breaking in.... and who runs bad routes. He needs work on that if he's gonna be all that he can be.

I'm very, very optimistic. But this thread is, in many parts, laughably homeristic.

Thanks for performing a public service, Q.

EDIT: That noted--- THUS FAR, there's every reason to feel great about Jackson vis a vis Holmes--- it's NOT homeristic f'risntance to say something like "I wouldn't trade Jackson for Holmes" or "I think Jackson is more likely to be a true NFL #1 than Holmes is."

The statements about Jackson that are absurd are the ones that speak with certainty about great success in the future.

Last edited:
qbert said:
It's pretty clear that Chad Jackson will not just be the best WR to ever play for the Pats, but he has a good chance to be the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. What he has shown us in 6 weeks of hot tub therapy and his two receptions for 42 yards has been spectacular... a combination of Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, and Charlie Joiner in a single body.

If this guy's stats project to a whole season, he will have, like, 16 catches and 336 yards for the year... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.

LOL. Tell us how you really feel.:D

qbert said:
Well, at least you can comprehend sarcasm.

Look, there is no sufficient body of work by which to judge who is the better receiver in the long run, or even in the short run. If you were to do that, then you should conclude that the Packers' Greg Jennings looks LIGHT YEARS ahead of both Jackson and Holmes and will be the best receiver of the draft. The premature spooging all over Jackson is pretty laughable. Let's see him put together a great rookie year first.

I've got to get your back. You should know not to dump on our boy Chad during his fist of many HOF seasons.

In fairness, I think the original poster was just giving Chad the advantage over Holmes no arrests to 2.

Based on what we've seen of our receivers so far, you couldn't tell for sure if one of them had 3 arms.:bricks:

qbert said:
Wow, quite a reach there when I haven't said a single word, positive or negative, about Holmes or Jackson. Are you NEM's house boy or something?

I wasn't here to talk trash, just discuss football with an opposing team fanbase's perspective and do it in good fun/humor. Obviously that will not be with you. Now run along.

Edit: Well, looking at your post history I think you actually do know some football. So you must have reacted as you did above becuase you think I'm a troll.... well you are wrong, I stated pretty clearly I was a Steelers fan in one of my first posts, so we can stop with the juvenile taunting.
Alright, I'll meet you halfway; My reaction was uncalled for, over-the-top, undeserved, unprofessional... now let's talk some football...
1. Chad Jackson never missed a college game, despite heavy special teams duty. There is nothing "injury prone" in his profile.
2. Chad Jackson dominated his soph year, as a deep threat, setting the all-time Florida record for yards per catch, and his junior year as a possession receiver in a new offense, setting the school record for receptions.
3. Chad Jackson was the fastest man at the combine
4. Chad Jackson easily won the best hands competition before the draft
5. The Pats traded up to get CJ, sacrificing "value points" on the draft board for no apparent reason. Hint: they would have sold their mothers to snatch him.
6. Chad Jackson signed promptly, not trying to extort the "1st rd money" another less mature talent disappointed with his draft plummet might have done.
7. Chad Jackson had the best minicamp a Pats receiver has had in memory, including Deion Branch.
8. Chad Jackson has never been arrested
9. Chad Jackson has no children by multiple women
10. Chad Jackson, after practicing ONE DAY with Tom Brady made one spectacular catch and a TD grab, all the while looking extremely natural and fluid.
11. Chad Jackson went out of his way to establish a rapport with Brady, requesting additional time to practice route running between the two of them.
CONCLUSION: Any Pats fan who is not extremely optimistic about Chad Jackson is a wet blanket, a party pooper, a pessimist, a limp noodle and eager to rain on the general parade. I am currently throwing confetti and dancing a whiskey induced jig over this kid.

Last edited:
qbert said:
It's pretty clear that Chad Jackson will not just be the best WR to ever play for the Pats, but he has a good chance to be the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. What he has shown us in 6 weeks of hot tub therapy and his two receptions for 42 yards has been spectacular... a combination of Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, and Charlie Joiner in a single body.

If this guy's stats project to a whole season, he will have, like, 16 catches and 336 yards for the year... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.
Excellent post,I found your obvious sarcasm right on point,the hyperbole about Jackson,who's played..........let me count......wait.......ONE game!,is maybe beyond hyperbole and entering
Paris Hilton-like hyperspace.

by the way:"sarcasm is the wit of the intelligentia".

"Sarcasm is the wit of the intelligentsia"...I guess the idea this Steeler fan is jealous because his team is stuck with Holmes, and wants to rain on our parade over Jackson never crossed your mind? Naivete is the sin of the intelligentsia, but the way.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
Sarcasm is the wit of the intelligentsia... Hmmm. What an elitist bastid you sound like. I guess the idea this Steeler fan is jealous because his team is stuck with Holmes, and wants to rain on our parade over Jackson never crossed your mind? Naivete is the sin of the intelligentsia, but the way. Look it up in your history book.
The "quote",I believe is from George Bernard Shaw......who
you probably think is Irwin Shaw's wacky younger brother.If being literate and once in a while practicing profundity,then,yes,I am an elitist snob
and quite proud of it,I might add.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
qbert said:
... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.
Best post ever qbert. Somebody should make that their signature.
Here you go.

In fairness, since the awesome quote comes from qbert, this sig should be his first refusal first. If he doesn't want it, then first come first served (if you don't know how to use graphics in your sig, I'll set it up for you.)

qbert-sig.jpg

italia44 said:
The "quote",I believe is from George Bernard Shaw......who
you probably think is Irwin Shaw's wacky younger brother.If being literate and once in a while practicing profundity,then,yes,I am an elitist snob
and quite proud of it,I might add.
"Ex quo intellegitur, quod verum, simplex sincerumque sit, id esse naturae hominis aptissimum", genius.;)

PonyExpress said:
"Ex quo intellegitur, quod verum, simplex sincerumque sit, id esse naturae hominis aptissimum", genius.;)
careful,youngster,I went to Boston Latin.......How come you desperately need spell-check in English,but not for Latin,Huh?...rainman....Huh?

Last edited:
"Bastid" is a Shakespearean colloquialism. :p

PonyExpress said:
Sarcasm is the wit of the intelligentsia... Hmmm. What an elitist bastid you sound like. I guess the idea this Steeler fan is jealous because his team is stuck with Holmes, and wants to rain on our parade over Jackson never crossed your mind? Naivete is the sin of the intelligentsia, but the way. Look it up in your history book.

Jealous? Over 2 catches, one TD and a wobbly hamstring? Come on, you're smarter than that. Why don't you just accept that both teams made their bets, and got their man? There isn't a performance based argument either way at this point (not in your list, either). I can guarantee that on the Steelers msg boards, there are zero threads about whether Pitt should have taken Jackson instead. However it seems to be a popular topic here to compare the two at every turn when they have barely started their pro careers. Get a grip.

That said, I will concede that I thought the Pats got great value where they drafted Jackson. And he definitely has the tools to be a great receiver. And Jackson will probably put up better numbers than Holmes this year, just based on (1) how much more established and diverse the Pats' pass offense is, (2) Holmes being the #4 WR and not seeing as many snaps as Jackson.

Holmes has botched some routes and returns this year, but nobody is giving up on the kid after a rough start. He still has elite speed, great hands, excellent moves off the line, and most importantly, HE BLOCKS WELL which is paramount for WR in the Steelers offense. One could argue that his best plays to date have been a pancake block on a 3rd down screen against Miami and where he waved off a return & destroyed the Jax ST gunner to allow the touchback. He is a better fit for the Steelers than Jackson. Let's leave it at that until either player does something to put them well ahead of the other.

PonyExpress said:
"Bastid" is a Shakespearean colloquialism. :p
you're overreaching again,rainman....stay in the gene pool that you were assigned,now

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Here you go.

In fairness, since the awesome quote comes from qbert, this sig should be his first refusal first. If he doesn't want it, then first come first served (if you don't know how to use graphics in your sig, I'll set it up for you.)

qbert-sig.jpg

ha, nice work. the attention is flattering, but someone else can take the sig.

italia44 said:
you're overreaching again,rainman....stay in the gene pool that you were assigned,now
I guess we shall remain two fans divided by a common team...;)

PonyExpress said:
I guess we shall remain two fans divided by a common team...;)
or two languages as Winston Churchill said.

qbert said:
Jealous? Over 2 catches, one TD and a wobbly hamstring? Come on, you're smarter than that. Why don't you just accept that both teams made their bets, and got their man? There isn't a performance based argument either way at this point (not in your list, either). I can guarantee that on the Steelers msg boards, there are zero threads about whether Pitt should have taken Jackson instead. However it seems to be a popular topic here to compare the two at every turn when they have barely started their pro careers. Get a grip.

That said, I will concede that I thought the Pats got great value where they drafted Jackson. And he definitely has the tools to be a great receiver. And Jackson will probably put up better numbers than Holmes this year, just based on (1) how much more established and diverse the Pats' pass offense is, (2) Holmes being the #4 WR and not seeing as many snaps as Jackson.

Holmes has botched some routes and returns this year, but nobody is giving up on the kid after a rough start. He still has elite speed, great hands, excellent moves off the line, and most importantly, HE BLOCKS WELL which is paramount for WR in the Steelers offense. One could argue that his best plays to date have been a pancake block on a 3rd down screen against Miami and where he waved off a return & destroyed the Jax ST gunner to allow the touchback. He is a better fit for the Steelers than Jackson. Let's leave it at that until either player does something to put them well ahead of the other.

You are right. Holmes is an immense talent, although his maturity may delay his impact a bit. If he can stay on the field, avoiding extra-curricular issues, he has Terry Glenn ability (the most talented foot/hand combination in the game). Pittsburgh's draft record is impeccable, no one can deny Colbert's credentials so far. However: much of the credit for the development of these players, I believe, goes to Cowher's commanding personality. If Cowher flies the coop after this year, Santonio may have some trouble staying on the straight and narrow, as Glenn did without Parcells, especially if a coach without heavyweight credentials and charisma replaces the Chin...

Last edited:
Belisarius said:
Qbert is correct. He's using a harsh tone, but it's warranted given the excessive certainty that seems to pervade this thread.

PonyExpress and NEM are acting like five year olds, IMO.

Qbert has not once offered any actual criticism of Chad Jackson, he has merely tried to deflate some of the swollen expectations here.

Look, I'm actually one of Jackson's biggest fans. I wanted him at 21 before the draft, was thrilled when he was there, and disappointed when we passed on him. All I could think for the ensuing picks was "please don't pick Jackson, let him slide". I turned around for a minute to post on KFFL, and when I turned back they were flashing Jackson highlights like he'd just been picked, and I knew the Packers had been OTC. You should have heard me yell when they then flashed the Patriots logo.

And all that said, this thread is verging on the rediculous. Jackson is supremely talented, and he has the ability to be most everything that people here seem to think and hope.... but ability is necessary for greatness, but not sufficient. I even agree on some of the "it"ness arguments.... but the bottom line is that right now CJ is a guy who is still breaking in.... and who runs bad routes. He needs work on that if he's gonna be all that he can be.

I'm very, very optimistic. But this thread is, in many parts, laughably homeristic.

Thanks for performing a public service, Q.

EDIT: That noted--- THUS FAR, there's every reason to feel great about Jackson vis a vis Holmes--- it's NOT homeristic f'risntance to say something like "I wouldn't trade Jackson for Holmes" or "I think Jackson is more likely to be a true NFL #1 than Holmes is."

The statements about Jackson that are absurd are the ones that speak with certainty about great success in the future.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post but am too lazy to write it. Bravo, Belisarius. CJ looks good so far, but let's all relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back