Another Reason I'm Glad We Got C. Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From www.profootballtalk.com

SANTARDIO?

A league source who keeps a close eye on the Pittsburgh Steelers has suggested that we cease and desist referring to receiver Santonio Holmes as "Santurdio," a moniker he earned after being arrested twice in a three-week period after the draft.

Said the source, "[Holmes] has had two months to learn 10 plays and he still f--ks it up so now he is 'Santardio.'"

Through two games, Holmes has two catches for 21 yards. A foot injury kept him out of practice on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, but he was able to participate on Friday, which means that he still might play on Sunday.

Holmes was the first receiver drafted, Chad Jackson was the second. Mel Kiper has us taking Holmes in the first (take it for what it's worth.) I'm happy the Steelers took Holmes and we took Jackson. Despite having far less time to practice and play than Holmes, he has already done more.

Jackson is better than Holmes, no doubt about that. IMO

Ceresco said:
Jackson is better than Holmes, no doubt about that. IMO

I think it's a bit too early to be to be crowing about Jackson over Holmes just yet. Holmes may turn into a great receiver, and by all indications, Jackson will too. Let's see where they are 2-3 years down the road. I am thrilled to have Jackson in a Pats uni though.

scott99 said:
I think it's a bit too early to be to be crowing about Jackson over Holmes just yet. Holmes may turn into a great receiver, and by all indications, Jackson will too. Let's see where they are 2-3 years down the road. I am thrilled to have Jackson in a Pats uni though.

My point was simply that thus far, it looks like the Pats made the right choice. Of course anything can happen in the future, but in what has come to pass Pats fans can certainly feel positive about us getting Jackson and the Steelers getting Holmes.

zippo59 said:
From www.profootballtalk.com
I'm happy the Steelers took Holmes and we took Jackson. Despite having far less time to practice and play than Holmes, he has already done more.

Its just a matter of time before Jackson is a superstar. Its not a question of "if" but of "when" IMO.

When we look back on this draft, it will be obvious that:

- Maroney was the back the Colts wanted, but we took.

- Jackson was the reciever we picked, but the Steelers should have.

R

Last edited:
Being that Holmes already has been arrested twice since he was drafted, and looks completely lost out there at times, in my mind it's been long enough to consider CJ the better choice. Holmes has all the makings of a bust already. Not that he will be but he's on that path.

NEM said:
There is something about Chad Jackson that will make him different than any receiver we have ever had.... I dont know what it is, but from watching his vids, his sessions, and all the other things about him, I believe he will outshine many of the, so called, great receivers currently in the NFL.

There just is something different about him, and I cant actually say what it is, other than I believe he will be the best wide receiver in Patriots history, in time.

It would be easy to scoff at the hyperbole, but I do know what you mean. That's how I started on my Matt-Cassel-irrational-exuberance path...watching Cassel in his first training camp, I just had the overwhelming impression that he had "it." (I didn't get to see Brady in his first couple of camps, wish I had for comparison's sake.) Anyway, Jackson does exude it-ness. Stay healthy and work hard Mr. Jackson, we can sure use you.

patchick said:
It would be easy to scoff at the hyperbole, but I do know what you mean. That's how I started on my Matt-Cassel-irrational-exuberance path...watching Cassel in his first training camp, I just had the overwhelming impression that he had "it." (I didn't get to see Brady in his first couple of camps, wish I had for comparison's sake.) Anyway, Jackson does exude it-ness. Stay healthy and work hard Mr. Jackson, we can sure use you.

Chad Jackson looks a lot like Eric Moulds to me.

I'll sum it up this way: we got the "Patriots type" receiver between the two of them -- apparently reasonably smart, arrest-free, and talented. Maybe I should add "injury prone," but I don't want to have to defend that one. Holmes may or may not blossom into another superbly talented head case wide receiver... we've already made it clear we don't care for those, the numbers be damned. It's a delicate thing to win year after year with a team, and the three-touchdown, 200 yard outing is nice for the papers, but if matched by a crappy attitude, random missed games, games on the sideline on a bike, etc., that receiver is not for us. Holmes is already showing signs of idiot receiver syndrome.

I agree with the folks that say wait a year or two before crowing about CJ just yet. But all indication is we've got a huge infusion of talent and youth at the skill positions, something that'll help us for years to come.

PFnV

It's pretty clear that Chad Jackson will not just be the best WR to ever play for the Pats, but he has a good chance to be the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. What he has shown us in 6 weeks of hot tub therapy and his two receptions for 42 yards has been spectacular... a combination of Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, and Charlie Joiner in a single body.

If this guy's stats project to a whole season, he will have, like, 16 catches and 336 yards for the year... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.

Last edited:
qbert said:
It's pretty clear that Chad Jackson will not just be the best WR to ever play for the Pats, but he has a good chance to be the greatest wide receiver to ever play the game. What he has shown us in 6 weeks of hot tub therapy and his two receptions for 42 yards has been spectacular... a combination of Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, and Charlie Joiner in a single body.

If this guy's stats project to a whole season, he will have, like, 16 catches and 336 yards for the year... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.

That was his first game after missing virtually all of training camp and many practices since. I'm not saying the guy is a Hall of Famer, the point was to compare him to the receiver who was the 1st one taken, shortly before he was taken. In what has transpired it looks like the Pats got the better of the deal.

You can't deny Jackson's talent and I think most are pretty impressed with what little he has shown so far.

zippo59 said:
That was his first game after missing virtually all of training camp and many practices since. I'm not saying the guy is a Hall of Famer, the point was to compare him to the receiver who was the 1st one taken, shortly before he was taken. In what has transpired it looks like the Pats got the better of the deal.

You can't deny Jackson's talent and I think most are pretty impressed with what little he has shown so far.

Well, at least you can comprehend sarcasm.

Look, there is no sufficient body of work by which to judge who is the better receiver in the long run, or even in the short run. If you were to do that, then you should conclude that the Packers' Greg Jennings looks LIGHT YEARS ahead of both Jackson and Holmes and will be the best receiver of the draft. The premature spooging all over Jackson is pretty laughable. Let's see him put together a great rookie year first.

NEM said:
There just is something different about him, and I cant actually say what it is ...

Could it be that he will be one of the best Patriots receivers who has trouble ever getting on to the field?? :mad:

It would be hard for me to change my pick of greatest WR ever for the Patriots - Stanley Morgan which will be very hard to pass as an overall top greatest Patriots receiver in memory - How many games he won for the Pats in the 80s is hard to gauge and that was WITHOUT a top QB (Sorry Steve Grogan but you are not in Brady's class although you were pretty close to top notch and a hardnosed QB) - If Terry Glenn had ever lived up to his potential and stopped missing games because of a hangnail or such type 'injury' he might have had a shot

NEM said:
How would you like those words served to you when you have to eat them????

Huh?

My post implied it is way too early to make these kind of judgments.... under what circumstance would I be "eating those words"? Are you arguing that it is perfectly valid to project a guy's NFL career based on a single game?

If so, don't bother replying; get yourself neutered instead.

It's always amusing when a Steeler jackass unmasks himself. Now we have the honorable Qbyatch, who probably thinks Santardio is the next coming of Lynn Swann. Isn't that right Q? Santardio is the bomb, isn't he? Once he learns how to read and stops beating up the mothers of his children he'll lead the Steel Clowns to more SB robbery? It's going to hurt you for years that your self-satisfied Front Office traded up to draft Holmes, passing on the GREAT CHAD JACKSON. Don't be sore... just concentrate on putting your QB's face back together...:D

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
It's always amusing when a Steeler jackass unmasks himself. Now we have the honorable Qbyatch, who probably thinks Santardio is the next coming of Lynn Swann. Isn't that right Q? Santardio is the bomb, isn't he? Once he learns how to read and stops beating up the mothers of his children he'll lead the Steel Clowns to more SB robbery? It's going to hurt you for years that your self-satisfied Front Office traded up to draft Holmes, passing on the GREAT CHAD JACKSON. Don't be sore... just concentrate on putting your QB's face back together...:D

Wow, quite a reach there when I haven't said a single word, positive or negative, about Holmes or Jackson. Are you NEM's house boy or something?

I wasn't here to talk trash, just discuss football with an opposing team fanbase's perspective and do it in good fun/humor. Obviously that will not be with you. Now run along.

Edit: Well, looking at your post history I think you actually do know some football. So you must have reacted as you did above becuase you think I'm a troll.... well you are wrong, I stated pretty clearly I was a Steelers fan in one of my first posts, so we can stop with the juvenile taunting.

Last edited:
PATRIOT64 said:
It would be hard for me to change my pick of greatest WR ever for the Patriots - Stanley Morgan which will be very hard to pass as an overall top greatest Patriots receiver in memory - How many games he won for the Pats in the 80s is hard to gauge and that was WITHOUT a top QB (Sorry Steve Grogan but you are not in Brady's class although you were pretty close to top notch and a hardnosed QB) - If Terry Glenn had ever lived up to his potential and stopped missing games because of a hangnail or such type 'injury' he might have had a shot

Actually, she might have had a shot. Didn't you watch Parcell's press conferences, back in the day?

PFnV

qbert said:
... friggin awesome. I love this kid. Future NFL Hall of Famer, write it down.
Best post ever qbert. Somebody should make that their signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe