PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Branch Article- Pat will lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sarge said:
There are some who don't think Deion is genuine. And considering these quotes from Deion below, I think it is very obvious he is a liar.
That's basically what I mean when I call him Fake Smile. He says all that stuff. He has the sweet, innocent smile. He has the cute stories of calling his high school coach on the bus on the way to the Super Bowl.

And he turns out to be a calculating jerk who calls the contract he signed unfair with just one year to go. It's not like he's locked in for the rest of his career, he's a UFA in 5 months. He's nothing more than a greedy rat bastard, as it turns out. But sure, if he plays for us again I'll root for him - however it won't be the same.

Willie55 said:
Well who is? Deion is the one holding out. I know people will says it the agent, but Deion's a grown man and old enough to, and supposedly mature enough, to make decisions for himself. Hell, Watson did it as a rookie.

Funny when Seymore did the same thing last year nothing was said about
him
The pats caved in on him and gave him a bonus after 3 days.
So Deion does the same thing and now a lot of fans are all over
him.When he does come back those same fans will cheer him again
after his first catch.
And say we love you Deion.

pats60 said:
Funny when Seymore did the same thing last year nothing was said about him
A few differences. First, Seymour is better than Branch. Second, it wasn't 2 weeks and counting. Third, I don't remember any comments from sources about sitting out until Week 10. Fourth, Seymour was stuck with a 6 year not a 5 year contract so he had even more of an issue.

pats60 said:
When he does come back those same fans will cheer him again
after his first catch. And say we love you Deion.
Speak for yourself, buddy, don't f'n put words in my mouth.

Warren94 said:
Well done PE.

My question is what is fair?

Oddly enough, I have an answer to that.

Of course, even rookies in the NFL make more money than most of us will ever earn, but you have to realize that these are young men with a short (possibly very, very short) career who have few skills to offer outside playing football.

Also, the contract that they sign when they join the league is a very unequal one. They can offer their services to one employer and one employer only: the team that drafts them. No other industry would get away with it.

What I think that every NFL player can reasonably look to is to be able to put what I would call (there is a more vulgar phrase for it) "walk away money" in the bank: that is, money that would ensure that, if the worst came to the worst and he had to stop playing tomorrow, he and his family could live in comfort for the rest of his life.

How much money is that? Of course, we can all argue but I think that anyone who has $6 million in the bank is very well fixed. Roughly: spend $1.5 million on a home. Invest $4 million dollars with reasonable prudence and look for an income of $160,000 a year. Have $500,000 for fun. So let's err on the side of generosity and call $10 million "walk away money".

So what I think of Deion's case is:

(1) He hasn't yet earned walk away money or anything like it. It's reasonable for him to want it and to want it now and I have sympathy with his hold-out if that would be the only way to get a significant increase on his rookie contract. Where the relationship between employer and employee is as unequal as it is in the NFL rookie contract I don't think a hold-out is unreasonable.

(2) The Patriots are offering Branch what is, in effect, walk away money. Certainly, there would be little difficulty in ensuring that there is $10 million guaranteed.

(3) If he wants more, that is, of course, his prerogative. I think that players who hold out for the odd million dollars after they are over that threshold are being greedy and, as a fan, I feel I have every right to say so. If Branch wants to get more, the time to negotiate that is at the end of the coming season, not now.

So I now have no sympathy with the hold-out, given that the Patriots have put a very substantial offer on the table -- even less if the aim is to prevent the Patriots from franchising him.

pats60 said:
him

I guess I missed Seymour's agent negotiating in the media

pats60 said:

Seymour is the best in the League at what he does

pats60 said:
him.

Again, the following statements were made by Branch, statements you have conveniently left out when you claim they have done the same thing.
“My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not,”
“As far as getting it done now, that’s the part I don’t know. I’ve got a year to go yet. I’m going to enjoy my offseason work, and hopefully we can get something done that makes both parties happy.”
I still have until next March before free agency. Both parties are going to pray on it and hopefully get something done. If not, we’ll talk about the next part later.”

pats60 said:
him
after his first catch.
If we lose Seymour our front seven will be disasterous. He is far far more important to re sign than Deion.

According to NFL live Branch wants 8-9 million a year.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That just cant be true. Deion and his agent are simply a joke if thats the case.

Kdo5 said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That just cant be true. Deion and his agent are simply a joke if thats the case.
I wouldn't be shocked if he got that on the FA market. But that's irrelevant. He needs to play this year for a mere $1M and get to FA or take less to get the money a year early.

Why are you more entrenched about Deion than Brady himself? Brady cares more about winning than every one on this board combined. yet Brady holds no hard feelings toward Deion, he goes out of his way to say what a fine person he is, and remains hopeful things will work out. Yet you, who know nothing about him, can't disparage him enough. Why are you taking it personally, when BB and Brady aren't? All I'm saying is, let's not burn any bridges. All this may work out sooner rather than later- why put yourself in a position where you have to dislike Branch for the rest of his career just so as not to look like a hypocrite? the day Brady turns on Deion I'll change my tune. Until then, I'll be patient.

Last edited:
Kudos from one more pats fan to PE.

I say only this, on all the holdouts, "Pats are cheap" talkers, "Players are greedy" talkers, etc.: All of this bullsh*t has to do with the fact that football is a business. The contract is structured a certain way, the CBA assesses fines a certain way, nobody is doing anything immoral, illegal, or fattening. They're all just using the standard tools to try to improve their business positions.

Most likely Branch's agent wants the money to come in a year:
1) closer to the SB MVP season, not farther,
2) closer to the #1 receiver season (last year), not farther,
3) in a year when the Pats perceive scarcity rather than plenty at the WR position.

Makes sense to me. And of course, this time next year for all he knows Deion could be in the middle of an ACL rehab.

All's fair in love and war, friends. I'd love to see Deion back sooner than the middle of the damn season, and I'd love to see the Pats have another receiver or three step up. But it may just be that this year, the Pats play serious three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust ball.

Well, that's one way to keep the LB and secondary concerns somewhat muted... 20 minute drives!

PFnV

Kdo5 said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That is crazy.
I honestly don't think Deion thinks he can get that but he sure as hell should get paid more.....we need him-and we have money-he's a player worth investing in-not that much though.

Everyone is going nuts due to the lack of dialogue....let's go find Deion's agent! I bet he's an Indy fan!

It is too early to start making personal insults to Branch.

At this point, he could simply be trusting his agent to do the right thing. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

As of September 2, he is either WITH us or he is AGAINST us.

September 2nd is D-Day. And that is the day I decide whether he has a fake little **** eating grin or whether he is a Patriot.

With all that being said, I believe in my heart that he is a goner, because his agent is 100% committed to getting him out of New England next year. I think we can all see what his agent is planning, a Redskins style payday.

PonyExpress said:
Why are you more entrenched about Deion than Brady himself? Brady cares more about winning than every one on this board combined. yet Brady holds no hard feelings toward Deion, he goes out of his way to say what a fine person he is, and remains hopeful things will work out. Yet you, who know nothing about him, can't disparage him enough. Why are you taking it personally, when BB and Brady aren't? All I'm saying is, let's not burn any bridges. All this may work out sooner rather than later- why put yourself in a position where you have to dislike Branch for the rest of his career just so as not to look like a hypocrite? the day Brady turns on Deion I'll change my tune. Until then, I'll be patient.

How do you know Brady doesn't hold any hard feelings toward Deion? What you see in the media is jock-talk. What does he really say behind closed doors.

How do you know if Brady harbors any hard feeling for Deion? Seriously, if Brady doesn't like Deion, I don't think they would be texting and calling each other almost daily.

Kdo5 said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

See this is not even based on reality...since HIS AGENT HASN"T MADE A COUNTER PROPOSAL AT ALL!!!

If 6 MILLION a year is so insulting why not make a counter proposal? Because your "counter proposal" is stupid and it will be a known fact that you are a greedy bastard with to much self worth...instead you don't make a proposal and try and Drew Roanhaus your way to the free agent market.

The Pats made more than a fair offer to Branch. Branch signed a fair offer when he was a rookie too. Is he worth more than a Million dollars this year? Yes, but he signed the contract in his SLOTTED position in the NFL draft. The Pats didn't "rip" him off. They signed him to a contract in his slotted position in the draft out of thier assigned rookie pool $$$.

Now add Deions statements to the press and his no show at the charity tournement and you don't even have 1/10 of the Big Sey situation.

I would also point out that many here were lambasting Sey on this board just for the short "no show" mini holdout he did. For those defending Branch how can you spin 6 MILLION DOLLARS a year offer by the Pats as a "bad" but Deion not only refusing to sign it but refusing to submit a counter proposal as "good for him"? If he had done what Sey did you would have just heard the grumbling that Sey got but since Branch is in full greed mode it is becoming louder.

This isn't about comparing to "real jobs" either. He is being offered 6 Million a year for 3 years...thats upper echelon receiver money and IMO a little higher than he deserves (I think 5 is closer to his talent level..if he leaves you will find he is a #2 receiver without Brady) For his defenders....how do you justify turning down 6 Million a year???

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
This kind of talk about Deion's "fake smile" is what sometimes bothers me about committed fans, not just pats fans. It's like being a member of the communist party. When current events don't suit you you rearrange history. His smile suited me fine when he caught the 17 yard pass against Carolina, absorbed a major hit and hung on to the ball to set up the winning FG, and it suited me fine when he stole the ball away from sheldon Brown and saved Brady from throwing a game changing interception in the 2nd half of the SB against Philly, and it suited me fine when he waved goodbye to all those Steelers on his late TD run to ice the AFCCG, and I liked it plenty when he sat next to BB on the tonight show and was as respectful as I've ever seen a player act toward a coach on camera. I guess people are unaware that Deion has a very ill child and I don't blame him for trying to secure money for himself and his family at all. "Fake smile" Deion certainly has impressed our Offensive captain brady enough, who says he loves him. So don't go overboard with this anti-deion schtick.

Amen! Some people need to grow the F up and get a life.

pats-blue said:
See this is not even based on reality...since HIS AGENT HASN"T MADE A COUNTER PROPOSAL AT ALL!!!
Thank you. People seem to keep forgetting, the demand of this hold out is one thing, and one thing only. My client will sit out until you agree not to franchise tag him next year.

Now, obviously the reality is that if the Patriots were to come back with a mindblowing offer, he'd be back quicker than s*it through a gooses ass. But as it stands now, the agent is sending one message. No promise not to tag, no Deion.

This to me sends an even more important message than if the agent was threatening a hold out over a specific contract number. And I don't like it, or what it says about Deion.

The question is no longer 'will Chayut negotiate further' or 'will Branch get more money'. All negotiations ceased in May. All Bridges are burned.

Further, the Pats simply will not honor any cute little request to not use their franchise tag if they see fit. They will not set an example by caving into any request of Chayut's at this point. Chayut burnt the bridge.

The only question remaining is 'Will Deion honor his contract, and play for the Patriots as of Sept 2nd?'

You can bet that he will not have any support from Brady to hold out after Sept. 2nd.

I am and always have been a Fan of The New England Patriots ...First ....and then I am a Fan of Individual players Second.............My loyalty is to the Patriots franchise and the players who show up to play for them.....So I get pissed when a player tries to disrupt the Chemistry on the team I pull for.........You won't see me hoping Vinatieri has a great year.....If Bruschi left and went to the Dolphins I wouldn't be pulling for him....simply because it goes against the interest of the Franchise I have always rooted for even when good players were very few and winning seasons were fewer! I have always felt that Branch isn't a True #1 Rcvr....He hasn't been able to play a full season and is simply a good #2......I think his offer was pretty fair and certainly couldn't be very far away from what he should be truly looking to get. Branch is can do what ever he wants.........I don't have any feeling either way to the guy personally..........But as a fan I'm not very high on him anymore...Oh well...........

Last edited:
pats60 said:
him
after his first catch.
I didn't notice 1---Seymour staying out for a LONG time...2--OR his agent yapping about the poor deal that his client got or 3---stay away from the Patriots charity golf tourney....AND Seymour is also in the top 5 of his position...Branch is not. Also Seymour did not call other Dlinemen and bad mouth the Patriots, telling them they should come to NE...SO No comparison

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore