PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Anfernee Jennings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Plus run Defender. Smart, savvy, really good ID blocks. Good job it's slipping, same patient. Plus functional strength Plus at the point of attack. Does a really good job at extended, finding the ball and finishing. Definitely a reliable, fire hydrant type end.

I really like the punch and placement of his hands. They're heavy, accurate and definitely pack a punch and move his opponent.
Not somebody who's really going to threaten the corner with his flexibility or bend. But has a decent array of moves. You'll see him use a chop, rip, swim, long arm, bull, change up his strides-decent lil euro step you'll see guys use nowadays.

Smart player that really utilizes what he has. Isnt the longest but does a great job getting the most out of what he has.

He's a high cut, linear athlete for the most part. Straight forward with little wiggle. Decent versatility but the probably more of a impact rotation than impact starter. Someone who can play outside/inside. Not a ton of upside but a vg player when healthy.

Worst pick of all the picks made so far imo. Just don't see a lot of potential there. See a backup unfortunately.

This guy has heavy hands, sets a hard edge, and plays downhill with the perfect balance between aggression and discipline.

His pass rush doesn't look half bad to me either. A little limited, but has a good 'get off' and impressive eye discipline for QBs stepping up/moving in the pocket.

I like the pick. He could develop into a solid starter. Probably will never be an all-pro, but he could be a top-5 cornerstone of a very good defense some day.

Last edited:
This guy has heavy hands, sets a hard edge, and plays downhill with the perfect balance between aggression and discipline.

His pass rush doesn't look half bad to me either. A little limited, but has a good 'get off' and impressive eye discipline for QBs stepping up/moving in the pocket.

I like the pick. He could develop into a solid starter. Probably will never be an all-pro, but he could be a top-5 cornerstone of a very good defense some day.
I'm thinking Dugger is Chung's replacement or the hybrid Bill has wanted since Bush was in office.

Uche, I've been saying Collins so I'll stick with that although he's a wild card. Again Bill loves double dipping at the same school. Wino & Uche are two big flyers coming at you.

And Jennings is to give Wise a kick in the ass? Again I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing at first glance. Id like to hear other opinions??

This team will look so different next year so I could see all these guys starting in 2021. Plus William. Wino.

I'm thinking Dugger is Chung's replacement or the hybrid Bill has wanted since Bush was in office.

Uche, I've been saying Collins so I'll stick with that although he's a wild card. Again Bill loves double dipping at the same school. Wino & Uche are two big flyers coming at you.

And Jennings is to give Wise a kick in the ass? Again I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing at first glance. Id like to hear other opinions??

This team will look so different next year so I could see all these guys starting in 2021. Plus William. Wino.

Thought Wise as well for the Jennings comp. Feels like Wise in certain ways, but a bit leaner and quicker off the ball.

We needed help in rushing the passer and defense against the running game.Uche and Jennings are very helpful in that area. I like their flexibility which would be used in many schemes. I expect a solid addition in NT today to stabilize the running game. So far so good Mr. BB.

Not seen him play but seeing him described as a Nink type...not spectacular but sets the edge well. Hope those takes are right and not the 'he's a bum' ones

Anfernee Jennings: “(Patriots assistant Vinnie Sunseri) told me actually right before we started all the combine and stuff like that, that I was going to be a Patriot. That being said, I just went about the process and now I’m here and I’m a Patriot. So it’s kinda funny."

100% agree on Dugger.

With Jennings my thoughts are that BB plays a base d with 2 DTs and 4 other front 7 guys.
And there are many different molds for this other 4.
From straight up off the ball lb. to straight up DE and then a bunch of hybrids anywhere along the spectrum in between. Pretty much all are welcome and he mixes and matches them into a defense.
So with that group he likes to have the big DE a guy who is closer to a DT than a lb (wise fits that mold as did flowers) he likes to have to smaller DE who could be an OLB but really isn’t suited to it and even when he’s standing up he’s really a de. ( nink, Simon, rivers)
Then there is the OLB who can double as a DE (KVN) and the off the ball LBs who can include a guy like Hightower who could probably be good at any and all of spots mentioned.
Jennings to me has the skill set of the wise/flowers role but needs to bulk up to get there. It will be interesting to see if that what they want from him or if they see him more in the nink/Simon role.

edit: Kyeds tweet implies a KVN role

What concerns me about Jennings is what I call the Henderson affect. The Celtics Gerald Henderson trade in the 80s was one of the great basketball steals of all time. It was possible because Henderson looked far better than he really was because of how truly great the players around him were. Also kind of what happened to the Pats, with the Thomas free agent signing from the Ravens a few years age. He sure looked better playing next to Ray Lewis than he ever did on the Pats. I think the same goes for a lot of Bama players.

What concerns me about Jennings is what I call the Henderson affect. The Celtics Gerald Henderson trade in the 80s was one of the great basketball steals of all time. It was possible because Henderson looked far better than he really was because of how truly great the players around him were. Also kind of what happened to the Pats, with the Thomas free agent signing from the Ravens a few years age. He sure looked better playing next to Ray Lewis than he ever did on the Pats. I think the same goes for a lot of Bama players.
I hear this just remember he's coming into an all-star league playing with the best of the best.

I was reading some Bama boards and they all really like Jennings. Most thought he was their best player on D this year with McKinney and expected him to be a 3rd or 4th round pick, so perhaps not the reach others thought. Most said he was more reliable and productive than Lewis and almost everyone said they would miss his leadership. The consensus was that the reach was Raekwon Davis, who people thought underwhelmed for two years, rather than Jennings or Lewis.

He's not a high ceiling player but is going to be a dependable, team first player, who has a well rounded set of skills. You don't want him in coverage too often and he isn't going to scream off the edge but he can grow into a Ninkovich type - set the edge well, and maybe pick up 6-8 sacks a year. Plus he can kick inside at times on 3rd down.

I like the pick more after doing a little more research. Just seems like a Patriot.

Let's not underrated the importance of setting the edge in this defense.

After watching more tape on him, it looks like he can really set a strong edge against the run. Missed that sometimes from our last years LB. Needs to work on his pass rush plan and moves sometimes, but i think we got a good LB here.

I was reading some Bama boards and they all really like Jennings. Most thought he was their best player on D this year with McKinney and expected him to be a 3rd or 4th round pick, so perhaps not the reach others thought. Most said he was more reliable and productive than Lewis and almost everyone said they would miss his leadership. The consensus was that the reach was Raekwon Davis, who people thought underwhelmed for two years, rather than Jennings or Lewis.

He's not a high ceiling player but is going to be a dependable, team first player, who has a well rounded set of skills. You don't want him in coverage too often and he isn't going to scream off the edge but he can grow into a Ninkovich type - set the edge well, and maybe pick up 6-8 sacks a year. Plus he can kick inside at times on 3rd down.

I like the pick more after doing a little more research. Just seems like a Patriot.

Set the edge and a handful of annual sacks is.... Willie McGinest production =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey