PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And Our Fourth Safety Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know what the role was gonig to look like when the season started. Just because he was exclusively working out at LB doesn't mean he was going to be there every down , just that regardless of the down he has to be ready for anything.

I assumed that Tanks role was going to be similar to what Rodney was doing last year not in some exotic new role created specifically for him (but if that is what you thought please elaborate as we all enjoy your football breakdowns). And I don't think some training camp practices meant that Tank was all the sudden being turned into a 3 down LBer. To guess what the role was going to be and say that it was going to be more than Rodney last year is just speculation.

Its all speculation. People are saying 'who will take Tanks' 'hybrid lb/s role'.
Fact is his role is backup safety.
We traditionally use S as 'lbs' in the nickel/dime package. That isnt really 'a role' for someone to take. Tank wasn't taking over for Rodney either.
It would appear that BB feels (I believe this very strongly, and his use of Tank in camp seems to concur) that the weakness on this team the last 2 years has been coverage in passing only situations. And the problems have been at LB,S and nickel, pretty much equally as often. We overhauled the nickel spot. Meriweather seems to help the safety coverage issue. Tank Williams was never going to improve coverage at the safety spot.
One way that we have used is to use safeties at the LB spot, essentially removing ANOTHER LB and putting a s on the field, but playing him the LB spot.

Where Tank was different is that BB had him playing ILB in the base defense in camp. Never, ever has he done that with a safety.
The logic, it would seem to me, is that BB intended to use Tank to expand the situations where he would replace a LB with a S, for example staying in the 34 on 2nd and 10, and replacing an ilb with Tank to get better coverage at the expense of run D.

I don't and never did expect Rodneys role to be impacted at all by Tank Williams, with the possible exception that in the sub packages Rodney would have played S rather than a LB-type position.
Rodney is EXCELLENT as a nickel LB, and a fantastic blitzer. He has very good "LB cover skills". I would like to see him as little as possible playing straight safety in sub packages, though, because he is a liability.

In other words, in order to improve coverage, we play Safeties in a LB position. Up until now that has been limited to sub packages, and Harrison is the guy we like to use in that role. It appeared during camp that we were going to use that tactic in more than just sub packages, and Tank Williams was being prepped for it, or at least BB was trying to figure out if he could do it. Without Tank Williams nothing has changed, other than the fact, his skillset had created some new ideas that BB was at least considering using him in.

A somewhat off topic question here regarding possible interest in Lynch. When a player is put on IR, does that remove his hit from the salary cap? I don't know what he is asking for salary, but could we even afford Lynch?

Last edited:
A somewhat off topic question here regarding possible interest in Lynch. When a player is put on IR, does that remove his hit from the salary cap? I don't know what he is asking for salary, but could we even afford Lynch?

IR players count against the cap. To not count them you have to reach an injury settlement, and then only count the settlement amount, and release them.

I don't think Lynch will command or ask for much more than the vet minimum. Earlier today, another couple of vet SSs -- Archuleta & Schweigart -- just signed for not much more than the vet min.

That should set the market for Lynch (as well as tell you how in demand he is ...).

Last edited:
I don't think Lynch will command or ask for much more than the vet minimum. Earlier today, another couple of vet SSs -- Archuleta & Schweigart -- just signed for not much more than the vet min.

That should set the market for Lynch (as well as tell you how in demand he is ...).

Lynch isnt in a negotiating position, he is hoping he can find work.
I'm not real interested in him at this point. We don't need old, small, slow DBs. Its not our MO to bring in a guy who used to be someone and gets a job on reputation when he cant play anymore.

I'm not real interested in him at this point. We don't need old, small, slow DBs. Its not our MO to bring in a guy who used to be someone and gets a job on reputation when he cant play anymore.
But AJ, haven't you been reading the Lynch press releases in this thread? He's our savior at S, the one who will be signed immediately now that Tank has gone down...Jeff who? Shoate? Not Lynch? Oh Noezzzzz! We're doooooooooooooooooooomed!!

But AJ, haven't you been reading the Lynch press releases in this thread? He's our savior at S, the one who will be signed immediately now that Tank has gone down...Jeff who? Shoate? Not Lynch? Oh Noezzzzz! We're doooooooooooooooooooomed!!

Not sure why you have to meet this speculation with such derision. BB showed a very strong interest in John Lynch a few years ago when he was on the market. That is a fact. We just lost a SS.

Not much of a stretch to speculate the Past might be interested. And no one is saying he's a savior. There's no need to use such mocking hyperbole.

Lynch might have completely lost a step and the Pats could have 0.00% interest in the 2008 John Lynch. But you don't know that, I don't know that, and no one on this board knows that.

So for now we'll speculate and talk about it. You know, kind of what a message board open forum is supposed to be for, isn't it?

Or should everyone run their opinions by you first?

Not sure why you have to meet this speculation with such derision. BB showed a very strong interest in John Lynch a few years ago when he was on the market. That is a fact. We just lost a SS.

Not much of a stretch to speculate the Past might be interested. And no one is saying he's a savior. There's no need to use such mocking hyperbole.

Lynch might have completely lost a step and the Pats could have 0.00% interest in the 2008 John Lynch. But you don't know that, I don't know that, and no one on this board knows that.

So for now we'll speculate and talk about it. You know, kind of what a message board open forum is supposed to be for, isn't it?

Or should everyone run their opinions by you first?
Since you didn't run this by me first you obviously missed the memo. Do please keep up with procedural changes. ;)

Since you didn't run this by me first you obviously missed the memo. Do please keep up with procedural changes. ;)

Haha. Must have been sent to an old email address. Duly noted.

Its all speculation. People are saying 'who will take Tanks' 'hybrid lb/s role'.
Fact is his role is backup safety.
We traditionally use S as 'lbs' in the nickel/dime package. That isnt really 'a role' for someone to take. Tank wasn't taking over for Rodney either.
It would appear that BB feels (I believe this very strongly, and his use of Tank in camp seems to concur) that the weakness on this team the last 2 years has been coverage in passing only situations. And the problems have been at LB,S and nickel, pretty much equally as often. We overhauled the nickel spot. Meriweather seems to help the safety coverage issue. Tank Williams was never going to improve coverage at the safety spot.
One way that we have used is to use safeties at the LB spot, essentially removing ANOTHER LB and putting a s on the field, but playing him the LB spot.

Where Tank was different is that BB had him playing ILB in the base defense in camp. Never, ever has he done that with a safety.
The logic, it would seem to me, is that BB intended to use Tank to expand the situations where he would replace a LB with a S, for example staying in the 34 on 2nd and 10, and replacing an ilb with Tank to get better coverage at the expense of run D.

I don't and never did expect Rodneys role to be impacted at all by Tank Williams, with the possible exception that in the sub packages Rodney would have played S rather than a LB-type position.
Rodney is EXCELLENT as a nickel LB, and a fantastic blitzer. He has very good "LB cover skills". I would like to see him as little as possible playing straight safety in sub packages, though, because he is a liability.

In other words, in order to improve coverage, we play Safeties in a LB position. Up until now that has been limited to sub packages, and Harrison is the guy we like to use in that role. It appeared during camp that we were going to use that tactic in more than just sub packages, and Tank Williams was being prepped for it, or at least BB was trying to figure out if he could do it. Without Tank Williams nothing has changed, other than the fact, his skillset had created some new ideas that BB was at least considering using him in.

Fair enough I can bye that maybe his role was going to expand a little bit into a base formation.

Im seriously surprised by this opinion. Lynch "cant play anymore"? Seriously? The guy just played 4 straight years in the Pro Bowl. And I understand its a popularity contest to some degree, but cmon. And "small"? Is 6'2 220 small for a strong safety? He's Harrison's size. Slow, by relative safety standards, I wouldnt argue with, but definitely not small. The guy likely to fill Williams' spot right now is about a buck-95. That's small. What kindof rep did Seau have when we brought him in?

Did anybody else, upon hearing the bad news about Tank, find themselves thinking that Alexander is the likely beneficiary?
scared.png

That was my first thought as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back