PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And Important Key To Patriot Winning Is Talent At WR ????

Ever watch Antonio Brown? He was taking selfies during routes.
True, even the Pittsburgh receivers didn't look like they were interested in the game, but I general I don't think we have the information to make those kind of statements.

The line is a priority as well. Also failing in the past at a position is not a good reason to avoid going after them. Also we didn't spend a disproportionate amount of money on Antonio Brown. He was dirt cheap when he came here. You can't be gun shy because Bill failed before.

Every year for the last several years we go through the same cycle. The team is mediocre and doesn't have the fire power to win against good offenses and make comebacks. We see and complain about the WR issues most of the season. Then all of a sudden it's closer to the time where we have to invest a draft pick or free agency money in a WR and then the costs make a decent. It's been a bit of a running joke for years in NFL fandom that Patriots fans say they need WR's all year but then never want to pay the piper when it comes to getting them.

I just don't see why fans are making a victory lap because we won a game 21-18 vs the Mitchell trubisky Steelers. "See! Our WRs are good enough!" Ok what happens when we have to win a shootout vs the chiefs?

I don't see how fans can look at the talent on the 2nd dynasty 2014-2017 on offense and look at what we have now and believe it's comparable. There's not a single player who can hold Gronk/edelmans water. They are all "nice" players. But without elite talent. Just spectacularly mediocre.

All Thursday proved is we are not 3-10 bad. which I agree. If we got competent QB play we are not 3-10. But what is our ceiling? 6-7 wins?

Fans should not be content with juju being your #1 and going .500 every year.

The offense needs a major talent infusion. And all these guys can slot where they actually belong. If patriots hit on just one WR in draft/FA

True, even the Pittsburgh receivers didn't look like they were interested in the game, but I general I don't think we have the information to make those kind of statements.

In general I agree.

While we'd love to have cheat codes at WR like they did with Moss and Welker, the Pats had pretty good WR's in Branch, Givens, Patten and Brown in the early years. The Pats need WR's that can be reliable which they haven't had since 2019.

I just don't see why fans are making a victory lap because we won a game 21-18 vs the Mitchell trubisky Steelers. .
Last week folks said that we were the worst team in the NFL; obvious nonsense.

So, yes, compared to that we are much better than that. And, yes, compared with the Offense of the past 3 weeks, we have a right to take a victory lap, especially since was accomplished by Zappe, Zeke, Henry, Shuster and Thornton.

Says Pats receivers are crap and run crap routes. Receiver coaching is a real problem....that and a lack of talent.
2.5 seconds and none are even looking back for the ball.

Actually, every time he mentioned it, it was Thornton every time.

If you think this was the same level of effort he's been putting in all year, then you really don't watch the all 22s as you like to claim
In all fairness, there's a few things that may have contributed to his early season woes:

1. As others pointed out, health. No need to expand on this.
2. As we've witnessed in the past, talented WRs had difficulties w/ the Patriots playbook. Could be it's taken this long for it to click. Could also be BoB simplified the scheme for the benefit of both Zappe and receivers. It worked, so keep it simple.
3. In any event a 90 yd day is nothing to be upset about and it's not like there were better WRs out there to give him cover. He played well, let's see if his arrow is pointing up.

Seriously it feels like there are a bunch of people on this site that just want to live in a fantasy that this is some secretly good team that needs minimal changes to be a contender despite years of evidence to protect their feelings. But I just can't entertain that thought process. If people want to use two quarters to justify not addressing a problem, have fun, then I can mentally check out and not care about next year and I'm sure at some point we'll get the same discussions we got the last several years.
There's been an exponential amount of delusion on this forum for 4 seasons now. The majority of the homers finally took off their rose colored glasses. Some will never give in though. Like Captain Delusion himself, Andy.

While we'd love to have cheat codes at WR like they did with Moss and Welker, the Pats had pretty good WR's in Branch, Givens, Patten and Brown in the early years. The Pats need WR's that can be reliable which they haven't had since 2019.
None of those guys were All Pros. Brown made the PB one year (2001). Brady elevated their play.

I'm tired of watching other teams draft WRs that ball out, make AP and PBs, in their rookie seasons or at the very least are top 25 receivers. We don't have a top 10 QB. Time to get who we have WR1 talent, via FAcy or preferably the draft.

Last week we were dead last in scoring w/ a 2-10 record. Unless the Giants score <10 pts on MNF, we'll still be dead last in scoring w/ a 3-10 record. Doesn't sound like nonsense to me.

So, yes, compared to that we are much better than that. And, yes, compared with the Offense of the past 3 weeks, we have a right to take a victory lap, especially since was accomplished by Zappe, Zeke, Henry, Shuster and Thornton.
OK, I agree here.

I just don't see why fans are making a victory lap because we won a game 21-18 vs the Mitchell trubisky Steelers. "See! Our WRs are good enough!" Ok what happens when we have to win a shootout vs the chiefs?

I don't see how fans can look at the talent on the 2nd dynasty 2014-2017 on offense and look at what we have now and believe it's comparable. There's not a single player who can hold Gronk/edelmans water. They are all "nice" players. But without elite talent. Just spectacularly mediocre.

All Thursday proved is we are not 3-10 bad. which I agree. If we got competent QB play we are not 3-10. But what is our ceiling? 6-7 wins?

Fans should not be content with juju being your #1 and going .500 every year.

The offense needs a major talent infusion. And all these guys can slot where they actually belong. If patriots hit on just one WR in draft/FA
We win big game, I take victory lap.
Lap Around Track.gif

doesn't mean we should not address a major issue which is that we need a legit WR1.

what is a teams ceiling with Juju/Parker as your main targets? its not very high. But if the bar we are happy with is winning against the trubisky steelers 21-18 and having a good 2 quarters. then sure...

I think thats the point here. being better than a 3-10 team doesn't mean the roster is fine. in the offseason when we all thought mac would bounce back many in the media/here pointed out how average the receivers are and how given the schedule our best case scenario is 6-8 wins. I don't see that as being what we want to be as a team.

Last edited:
None of those guys were All Pros. Brown made the PB one year (2001). Brady elevated their play.

I'm tired of watching other teams draft WRs that ball out, make AP and PBs, in their rookie seasons or at the very least are top 25 receivers. We don't have a top 10 QB. Time to get who we have WR1 talent, via FAcy or preferably the draft.

it was also a totally different league. with all the rule changes an elite WR is almost as important as QB these days.

theres a reason eagles, dolphins, Bills etc. all went out and acquired elite WR's for their quarterbacks. and in all cases it elevated the play of their QB's and made them into contenders.

but as soon as we win one game against Trubisky steelers and have one good half, now we dont need receivers! lets roll it back with Juju/parker next year! its not good enough. not sure why fans stick their heads in the sand to try and believe it. Its almost like because Bill whiffs/ignores receivers, to defend Bill they take this position that we don't need talent!

The Parker catch on the first drive should've been ruled incomplete; he didn't have complete control and the ball hit the ground. Ninkovich discussed this on 98.5. If the correct call is made or Tomlin challenges, folks are singing a different tune.
If you actually think that the WR talent on this roster is sufficient to compete at a high level in the NFL you need to have your fan credentials revoked. A victory lap over Thursday wr performance is preposterous.

doesn't mean we should not address a major issue which is that we need a legit WR1.

what is a teams ceiling with Juju/Parker as your main targets? its not very high. But if the bar we are happy with is winning against the trubisky steelers 21-18 and having a good 2 quarters. then sure...

I think thats the point here. being better than a 3-10 team doesn't mean the roster is fine. in the offseason when we all thought mac would bounce back many in the media/here pointed out how average the receivers are and how given the schedule our best case scenario is 6-8 wins. I don't see that as being what we want to be as a team.
Yes, we should address the need for a #1 WR. NO ONE disagrees.
=============
1,2) That being said, what is our ceiling with McDermott and Love as our TWO starting OT's?
3) What is our ceiling with Zappe as our starting QB?
4) What is our ceiling with Brown and Sokol as our TE's?

The issue of a top WR is not whether we need one. Every team would benefit by adding a top WR (KC for example). The issue is priority and how much resources (draft and cap) to use on WR, given our needs at starting QB, backup quarterback, starting LT, starting RT, swing OT, and at TE (we have none signed).

Yes, we should address the need for a #1 WR. NO ONE disagrees.
=============
1,2) That being said, what is our ceiling with McDermott and Love as our TWO starting OT's?
3) What is our ceiling with Zappe as our starting QB?
4) What is our ceiling with Brown and Sokol as our TE's?

The issue of a top WR is not whether we need one. Every team would benefit by adding a top WR (KC for example). The issue is priority and how much resources (draft and cap) to use on WR, given our needs at starting QB, backup quarterback, starting LT, starting RT, swing OT, and at TE (we have none signed).

Receiver is probably the most important position after QB in today's NFL

The Parker catch on the first drive should've been ruled incomplete; he didn't have complete control and the ball hit the ground. Ninkovich discussed this on 98.5. If the correct call is made or Tomlin challenges, folks are singing a different tune.
If you actually think that the WR talent on this roster is sufficient to compete at a high level in the NFL you need to have your fan credentials revoked. A victory lap over Thursday wr performance is preposterous.
I can be happy that Juju and Henry showed up. I can be happy that Brown was open several times. I can be happy that Zeke is a pass catching threat. I look forward to Douglas returning.

I can be happy that Juju and Henry showed up. I can be happy that Brown was open several times. I can be happy that Zeke is a pass catching threat. I look forward to Douglas returning.
Speaking of Douglas, did we ever find out if that guy who clotheslined him got fined?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back