PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An FYI On Mac Jones

I don't think I've ever been interested in a 'system' quarterback

Brady's the best because he learns, he thinks and he fights to win.

I want whoever our QB is to do the same.

Don't have to be the 'GOAT'
You just described Zappe to a T.

Let's just hope Zappe avoids the pressure from reading this thread before Sunday's game.
Not that it matters. Zappe could go out and throw four picks on Sunday and people will just point to the four Brady threw against Denver in 2001 one week after putting up 38 on the Colts. And clearly, that turned out fine :cool:

There's obviously an argument you can make for anything, so he's covered regardless. At the same time, no matter how it turns out, we need the kid to do well because he'll either fetch them a higher-round pick at some point (which is a win considering where they took him), or Mac will. So as fans, it's in everyone's best interest if both guys succeed as much as possible.

Obviously, the hope is that Mac is the guy but if not, they're certainly in better shape than they would be if they didn't have another prospect behind him, which is why, I'm sure, Belichick drafted Zappe to begin with. Better to have too many talented QBs than too few ;)

Last edited:
That play, Parker was open. They targeted him 10 times in that game and connected just 5. Granted, a bunch of big plays, but two of those attempts also got picked off. Guessing they're going to pick their battles a little better when he gets back out there ;)

I mean, Parker might be the intended target of that first one, but I'm not sure Jones wasn't just throwing for the biggest collection of white jerseys having suffered a ministroke.

The second one was also placed right where only his guy couldn't get it.
More than being worried about that connection, I'd think he'd worry about why he cant throw into the end zone effectively.

As for the third one, if anything it just proves that Parker's not necessary for a Mac interception, just helpful. Also the one where Mac pulled up hopping.

I love Mac, but he's a second year guy not named Brady (and Brady wasn't that great in year 2, lest we forget)

I sort of agree they'll pick their battles better, but those 3 interceptions might just have been the "gunslinger" attempt to get back into a game when you're down 28-20 and The Comeback keeps not happening.

As to the 5 out of 10 ratio, in a game where Mac to Parker is good for an average 31 yard gain per reception, only connecting 50% of the time is a weak indictment. I mean, you want to get that percentage up, get yourself 7 for 70 yards to Meyers - oh that's right he was out that week. Hence the 10 balls to throw to Parker. Because we throw to one guy per game LOL.

If Zappe throws a pick it means he's throwing 4 TDs. I can live with that. Patricia needs to get out of the way and let the kid do what he does best: air it out.

Reactions: Ian
If Zappe throws a pick it means he's throwing 4 TDs. I can live with that. Patricia needs to get out of the way and let the kid do what he does best: air it out.
@venecol is trying to get that hype train going on the rookie. :cool:

Come Aboard Father Of The Bride GIF by HBO Max

@venecol is trying to get that hype train going on the rookie. :cool:

Come Aboard Father Of The Bride GIF by HBO Max
Hell yessss. The most excited I've been all season. He may just save your 13-4 prediction if they let him cook. The kid's got it.

I don’t know if we need to go there. On a side note, I just noticed “venecol” gets autocorrected on my iphone to “benevolent”, so he’ll probably be happy about that ;)
That's OK, he's just triggered because of Zappe doing well & getting love from a few of us. Can't understand the hate towards Zappe. It's just weird.

Hell yessss. The most excited I've been all season. He may just save your 13-4 prediction if they let him cook. The kid's got it.
My 13-4 prediction was based on them building on the success they had last season, not blowing everything up or Mac getting hurt. Lol, and I definitely don’t foresee them going 11-1 the rest of the way ;)

That's OK, he's just triggered because of Zappe doing well & getting love from a few of us. Can't understand the hate towards Zappe. It's just weird.
The weird are the people saying Mac sucks and jumping on the Zappe train 100% so soon. I get being excited about the kid and having fun watching it unfold, but perspective is definitely needed.

As I said, it’s better if he does well. If Mac comes back and thrives, obviously, that would be awesome. But at least most people should feel a little better about the fact they’re a little less in trouble if that doesn’t happen.

Heh, you wish. I'll repeat what I've said before: Zappe has shown unusual poise and has done a GREAT job so far. If by some outside chance he ends up wresting the starting job from Mac and leading the Pats to wins, I'm 1,000-percent onboard with it. Your ongoing denigration of Mac by means of comparison with Bailey's small sampling, however, DEFINITELY is "just weird." :poop:

The weird are the people saying Mac sucks and jumping on the Zappe train 100% so soon. I get being excited about the kid and having fun watching it unfold, but perspective is definitely needed.

As I said, it’s better if he does well. If Mac comes back and thrives, obviously, that would be awesome. But at least most people should feel a little better about the fact they’re a little less in trouble if that doesn’t happen.
I don't see many hating on Mac, just saying he's looked jittery, frustrated and confused. I put that on the coaches. They messed him up putting an inexperienced coach at O play calling.

The kid looks composed, accurate, and in command. Even Bill is praising him. This is a good thing.

I don't see many hating on Mac, just saying he's looked jittery, frustrated and confused. I put that on the coaches. They messed him up putting an inexperienced coach at O play calling.

The kid looks composed, accurate, and in command. Even Bill is praising him. This is a good thing.
There are a lot hating on him. And I agree, and I’m forcing myself to let it just play out. As long as they end up with a capable guy who can keep them competitive.

Again, I’m obviously rooting for Mac because we’ve got some time invested in him, but at the same time, if Zappe comes out of it as a guy who can get it done, it’s a better situation than if they only had Hoyer. Heck, I’d say Bill should even draft another one next April. Keep them stocked up ;)

So now posting a QB comparison of stats after one plays 3 games and the other 2 is denigrating Mac. Lol, like I said triggered.

Screenshot_20221012-130255_Firefox.jpg

So now posting a QB comparison of stats after one plays 3 games and the other 2 is denigrating Mac. Lol, like I said triggered.

View attachment 46187

Everything to you is "triggered." You know what I'm talking about, you've dumped on Mac going back to last season. Why can't you root for both of them? That's what most Patriots fans do. We well could have an unexpected embarrassment of riches at QB.

Heck, I’d say Bill should even draft another one next April. Keep them stocked up ;)
there have been several times when BB has turned backup QB drafts into solid profits.

Jimmy G cost a second, returned a second plus three years as second string backup with one and a half wins for the Pats.

Brissett cost a third, was third string backup for a year, notched one and a half wins for the Pats and then was traded for a former first round WR (Dorsett).

Cassel cost a seventh, spent four years as backup QB, won 10 games in his fourth year, got the franchise tag and then was traded with Vrabel for the 34th overall pick (used to draft Chung).

Now Zappe was drafted in the fourth round as third string backup and has his first win less than halfway through his rookie season. He will very likely return a decent pick if/when traded, or give us four years as second string backup. That would still be a good ROI, compared with Hoyer’s salary.

I‘d be happy to see Belichick drafting QBs frequently, if he can consistently get those returns on the investments. Running a QB factory in Foxboro would be a good thing IMO.

you say that like it’s a bad thing. But is it really?

throwing into a tight window is a higher risk. Zappe has a 75% completion rate, so he’s being effective even without having to throw into tight windows. And at the same time he’s doing it without making risky throws. Maybe that’s really a good thing?

We went through this last year with Mac. If we dink and dunk too much, the passing completion % goes up, and teams move another man in the box. Against good teams that spells disaster - review the last 5 and playoff games in 2021.

To keep teams honest the QB has to throw downfield which means "into tight windows". Drinking and dunking is not a bad thing, but we are unlikely to win playoff games that way.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back