PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An FYI On Mac Jones

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Some interesting numbers from last season:

Jones got a lot of his turnovers out of the way early last year too and then settled down. Plenty of reason to believe that will be the case when he gets back out there. All he has to do is say, "I'm not throwing it to DeVante Parker unless he's wide open. Period."

Problem solved ;)

Jones got a lot of his turnovers out of the way early last year too and then settled down. Plenty of reason to believe that will be the case when he gets back out there. All he has to do is say, "I'm not throwing it to DeVante Parker unless he's wide open. Period."

Problem solved ;)

I think he just needs to learn that there are ways to throw these balls where it's safer. It might not be a completion but it won't be a pick either. Like that the first one vs Mia just throw it to the back corner and Parker either makes a great play or it's way less likely to bounce up and end up intercepted.

Problem solved ;)

Ian, I get you, some of his Ints have been bad, but it is the dropped Ints where he just threw it straight to a defender that bothers me the most. He has no composure when things goes slightly different and from then on, it is stupidity unbounded.
I can't explain this and also think he has it in him to repeat this when under pressure and he loses his composure. This play is really bad for an NFL QB to make let alone someone who is expected to be franchise QB. 4:37 mark

Last edited:
Ian, I get you, some of his Ints have been bad, but it is the dropped Ints where he just threw it straight to a defender that bothers me the most. He has no composure when things goes slightly different and from then on, it is stupidity unbounded.
I can't explain this and also think he has it in him to repeat this when under pressure and he loses his composure. This play is really bad for an NFL QB to make let alone someone who is expected to be franchise QB.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, even the best QBs - ie: Brady - have gotten away with one here and there.

All I'm saying is that it's way too early to quit on the kid for all the people who are happy that a 3rd string quarterback beat the worst defensive team in the league. Jones put up 54 against the Jets, 45 against the Browns, and 50 against Jacksonville last year as well, so all I'm saying is there needs to be a little bit of perspective. Not to mention that teams who cycle back and forth between guys - it never ends well. At least, I can't think of a time where that's been the case.

Obviously, he'll have to prove you wrong, but you still need to let him and give him the benefit of the doubt given how he performed over this same span last season. I think the time away and realizing how fragile this whole thing can be probably changed things for him as well, so I expect him to be better when he does come back.

It seemed like there were way more slants and screens and quick outs called for Zappe than Mac. That may have been my geezer brain. :) But if my brain doesn't deceive me, then that play calling style might help Mac too.

Jones got a lot of his turnovers out of the way early last year too and then settled down.
Did he?
Final 5 games (1W-4L) including playoffs: Mac had 8 TDs / 7 INTs
Removing the Jax blowout win: 5 TDs / 7 INTs

Last edited:
It seemed like there were way more slants and screens and quick outs called for Zappe than Mac. That may have been my geezer brain. :) But if my brain doesn't deceive me, then that play calling style might help Mac too.
That should be the routes for Mac too. It’s what every WR and TE on our team excels at. I don’t think we have a single WR that excels outside the hash marks.

Last edited:
I think he just needs to learn that there are ways to throw these balls where it's safer. It might not be a completion but it won't be a pick either. Like that the first one vs Mia just throw it to the back corner and Parker either makes a great play or it's way less likely to bounce up and end up intercepted.

The coaching staff has put him between a rock and a hard place where it comes to "safer" placement on the 50-50 throws he's been told to make.

Not putting this on you specifically, but I really wish folks here would pay closer attention to what's going on with coaching and receiver responsibilities vs. immediately blaming the quarterback every time an interception happens. People saw that end zone pick against Baltimore and blasted Mac where it was 100-percent on Parker for not doing his job adjusting to coverage.

Now we have "fans" clamoring for Zappe -- a much lesser talent -- because of Mac's turnovers in a new system with new personnel vs. stiffer competition. It's really ignorant and unfair to Mac.

Yes, we went very vanilla for Zappe with plenty of one-read throws, and a lot of people are trying to crown him the newcoming king.

The coaching staff has put him between a rock and a hard place where it comes to "safer" placement on the 50-50 throws he's been told to make.

Not putting this on you specifically, but I really wish folks here would pay closer attention to what's going on with coaching and receiver responsibilities vs. immediately blaming the quarterback every time an interception happens. People saw that end zone pick against Baltimore and blasted Mac where it was 100-percent on Parker for not doing his job adjusting to coverage.

Now we have "fans" clamoring for Zappe -- a much lesser talent -- because of Mac's turnovers in a new system with new personnel vs. stiffer competition. It's really ignorant and unfair to Mac.
Not only that, but the playcalling has been night and day different compared to where it was the first three weeks. Credit Patricia for showing some humility and being able to admit something wasn't working and changing it. I was tough on him also, but I'm also willing to give him credit for making changes that have clearly paid dividends these last two weeks even despite last week's loss.

Not only that, but the playcalling has been night and day different compared to where it was the first three weeks. Credit Patricia for showing some humility and not being able to admit something wasn't working and changing it. I was tough on him also, but I'm also willing to give him credit for making changes that have clearly paid dividends these last two weeks even despite last week's loss.
Outside of OT against Green Bay, I don't think there has been anything to complain about regarding Patricia's playcalling. In the Patricia bashing thread I keep asking people to tell me which plays they didn't like from the first three games but nobody does. We also don't know who the first/second/third options are on passing plays that are called and given some of Mac's decision making I'm inclined to give Patricia the benefit of the doubt. I still like Mac Jones but his mechanics, ball placement, and decision making are far more of the problem.

I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs Zappe thread, but it's fascinating we have two QBs from complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Mac who got it done on the biggest stage at the biggest college and conference in all of football, but with concerns whether his future All PRo WRs made life easy for him. And then there's Zappe from a small school against below average competition but where he had to have incredible ball placement to make anything happen. I have no idea who has the higher ceiling, but when you realize BB has a history of hitting on small school stand outs (Collins, Dugger, Strange, Malcolm Butler) you can't help but feel intrigued by Zappe.

Outside of OT against Green Bay, I don't think there has been anything to complain about regarding Patricia's playcalling. In the Patricia bashing thread I keep asking people to tell me which plays they didn't like from the first three games but nobody does. We also don't know who the first/second/third options are on passing plays that are called and given some of Mac's decision making I'm inclined to give Patricia the benefit of the doubt. I still like Mac Jones but his mechanics, ball placement, and decision making are far more of the problem.

I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs Zappe thread, but it's fascinating we have two QBs from complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Mac who got it done on the biggest stage at the biggest college and conference in all of football, but with concerns whether his future All PRo WRs made life easy for him. And then there's Zappe from a small school against below average competition but where he had to have incredible ball placement to make anything happen. I have no idea who has the higher ceiling, but when you realize BB has a history of hitting on small school stand outs (Collins, Dugger, Strange, Malcolm Butler) you can't help but feel intrigued by Zappe.
Obviously, I'm not rooting against the kid and as you said, it's a good problem to have. But obviously it will be up to Jones to play well when he gets back and we'll have to make an evaluation after we see a larger body of work.

Zappe will have the same benefit next offseason Mac had with this one, so I'm sure he'll be better as well. At the end of the day, one is going to fetch a draft pick at some point, it just depends on which one it is.

But for now, unless he comes back and continues throwing interceptions, I'm willing to give Jones the benefit of the doubt because truthfully, save for a few attempts to Parker (and keep in mind - he was also getting killed the first two weeks) - he wasn't as bad as people are making him out to be.

I can't explain this and also think he has it in him to repeat this when under pressure and he loses his composure. This play is really bad for an NFL QB to make let alone someone who is expected to be franchise QB.

It's not that Mac doesn't make an occasional bad throw, he does. But what you call "no composure" or "stupidity unbounded" often owes to what play is called in what situation, what kind of protection he's getting and whether he's given leeway to check out of a bad look (with his teammates expected to adjust accordingly).

Here's an example: One interception that went directly to a linebacker was as much on Patricia as Mac -- an ill-advised play-action call on second and seven. Play-action fakes are meant to draw the linebackers in creating room behind them for receivers. But they seldom work on second and long, where the defense's better choice is playing the pass. Mac ran the play, linebackers ignored the fake dropping into coverage and Mac threw to where the receiver was SUPPOSED to be as designed. Instead, a linebacker in coverage made the pick.

I think you'll be seeing less of this sort of misfire as Patricia settles in and Mac becomes acclimated to the new system. Just remember that often what seems obvious really isn't.

Two promising young QB's...

I like to think of that as a good thing. :)
That is one way to look at it, but I see it as a situation where we can certainly bet on the wrong guy as well. This coaching staff scare me, BB has changed and he is talking more than he has ever talked. I was surprised by some of the things Collinsworth was saying on air about what BB told him about Zappes struggles with snapping the ball under center. I say this to say that Michael Lombardi's comments bothered me a lot about Mac Jones plays and it seems someone was throwing Mac under the bus inside the pats coaching circle(speculation) If Zappe is not the guy and they start giving equal reps at practice to both, we risk stunting the growth of potentially one or both.

That should be the routes for Mac too. It’s what every WR and TE on our team excels at. I don’t think we have a single WR that excels outside the hash marks.
And why is TO Agholor getting paid so much again?? He's playing himself to the Inactive list really stealing money for his paltry play.

Did he?
Final 5 games (1W-4L) including playoff Mac had 8 TDs / 7 INTs
Remove the Jax blowout win, 5 TDs / 7 INTs
If Zappe improves every week Mac's in trouble. Zappe is far from a finish product but you have to love the little bite sizes. You can see the warts in Mac's game hope he plays with a chip on his shoulders when he gets healthy. IF not he's going have to constantly look over his shoulders. Zappe ain't going anywhere for now sorry Mac.

If Zappe improves every week Mac's in trouble. Zappe is far from a finish product but you have to love the little bite sizes. You can see the warts in Mac's game hope he plays with a chip on his shoulders when he gets healthy. IF not he's going have to constantly look over his shoulders. Zappe ain't going anywhere for now sorry Mac.
Big "if". He very well may and if he does he's special. He has to show me though

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back