All-Pro Team announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Gilmore was unanimous.

Thuney 2nd team. Wow. Well deserved.

Hightower, Van Noy, Collins, Jones, Jackson, and McCourty all received votes in addition to Gilmore being unanimous. That’s kinda crazy.

Slater and Gilmore (unanimous) made first team, Thuney made second team.

Also receiving votes:

WR Edelman (6th place with 1 vote, only 6 WRs received votes)
LB Hightower (Tied for 11th place with 4 votes)
LB Collins (Tied for 11th place with 4 votes)
LB Van Noy (Tied for 14th place with 3 votes)
S D.McCourty (Tied for 7th place with 4 votes)
DB Jones (7th place with 3 votes)
DB Jackson (Tied for 8th place with 2 votes)
DB D.McCourty (Tied for 8th place with 2 votes)
ST Ebner (Tied for 5th place with 1 vote)

Funny if you add up the 'also receiving votes' at linebacker and defensive back you get an All-Pro.

Thuney made 2nd team. Deserved it. He was probably the Pats 2nd best player after Gilmore.
So the voters think he's the 2nd best lg in the NFL right now.
Of note, JE11 finished 5th in votes at wr.
That's very strong. Not quite allpro but definitely probowl.
And a ton of Patriots,mostly defensive,got votes.
Doing this from memory so don't shoot me if I leave someone out, but JJones, Jackson,Dmac,High,Van Noy, Collins all got votes. As they should.

Thuney made 2nd team. Deserved it. He was probably the Pats 2nd best player after Gilmore.
So the voters think he's the 2nd best lg in the NFL right now.
Of note, JE11 finished 5th in votes at wr.
That's very strong. Not quite allpro but definitely probowl.
And a ton of Patriots,mostly defensive,got votes.
Doing this from memory so don't shoot me if I leave someone out, but JJones, Jackson,Dmac,High,Van Noy, Collins all got votes. As they should.

LMAO, when I started posting this on my cell, only the OP's post was up.

Mccafferty is a greedy bastard....taking both the rb and flex slots? Not cool...

Gratz to Gilmore, Slater and everyone else getting votes...

Aaron Donald is now a 5x first team All-Pro in his first 6 seasons. Ridiculous.

Mccafferty is a greedy bastard....taking both the rb and flex slots? Not cool...

Gratz to Gilmore, Slater and everyone else getting votes...

I was just looking at that (and Henry as both for the 2nd team). Flex should be the best player of any offensive skill position that didn't win one of the other positions. No big deal of course, but still, a weird way to do it.

Congrats to Gilmore, Thuney, and Slater on their selections! Well deserved.

Must be said, the way they do these selections is pretty dumb. 15 voters put Sherman has a 1st teamer but because his votes were divided between corner and "defensive back" he didn't make it, while Marcus Peters did even though he got fewer total 1st team votes. And McCaffrey got 1st team as both running back and "flex" since the people who didn't put him as the 1st team running back then put him as a flex. (Same for TJ Watt as an edge defender and linebacker).

Should probably do the 1st team voting then take all those players off the board and have everyone select a second team from who's left rather than it all being one vote. Like, it's cool that Edelman got a vote but whoever made that vote is nuts since you'd have to consider him one of the two best wide receivers in football this year (since you're only voting for 2). And "defensive back" should probably just be the highest remaining vote-getter from either corner or safety rather than a separate voting position. (As it is, consider that 3 people considered Jonathan Jones the third best corner in football and 2 considered JC Jackson for that honor...)

Last edited:
One of my New Years resolutions was to be less petulant.

And yet I’m still so mad at Gilmore for last week. He talked too much and played his worst when it mattered most.

Maybe I’ll do better with my “drink more water” resolution.

Must be said, the way they do these selections is pretty dumb. 15 voters put Sherman has a 1st teamer but because his votes were divided between corner and "defensive back" he didn't make it, while Marcus Peters did even though he got fewer total 1st team votes. And McCaffrey got 1st team as both running back and "flex" since the people who didn't put him as the 1st team running back then put him as a flex. (Same for TJ Watt as an edge defender and linebacker).

Should probably do the 1st team voting then take all those players off the board and have everyone select a second team from who's left rather than it all being one vote. Like, it's cool that Edelman got a vote but whoever made that vote is nuts since you'd have to consider him one of the two best wide receivers in football this year (since you're only voting for 2). And "defensive back" should probably just be the highest remaining vote-getter from either corner or safety rather than a separate voting position.
It seems to be one of those things that someone along the way said "things are changing and we have to adjust" and then they managed to outthink themselves instead of keeping it simple.

Agree with most of your post but Sherman definitely doesn't deserve any 1st team votes.
Voters got cbs right, Gilmore and White.
Both head and shoulders better than anyone else.

It seems to be one of those things that someone along the way said "things are changing and we have to adjust" and then they managed to outthink themselves instead of keeping it simple.

Yeah, the two ways to do it would essentially just make the defensive back and flex positions the next highest vote-getter at qualifying positions (in which case they're basically just true flexes a la fantasy football) or for the AP to decide ahead of time that certain players qualify for those positions. The latter is closer to the intent of the "changing game" that was cited for the creation of these categories, where you can find a way to honor hybrid players like James White who would never have a chance under the normal voting procedure, but it also leads to more subjectivity. Is McCaffrey a running back or a flex?

Agree with most of your post but Sherman definitely doesn't deserve any 1st team votes.
Voters got cbs right, Gilmore and White.
Both head and shoulders better than anyone else.

That... wasn't the point. Sherman got 10 1st team votes as a corner, solidly third place to Gilmore/White. Marcus Peters got 1. However, Peters got 7 first team votes as a "defensive back" while Sherman only got 5, so Peters is a 1st team All Pro while Sherman is not. However, that means 15 voters considered Sherman at least the third best corner in football (10+5) compared to just 8 for Peters (1+7), and most of Peters votes were 'third place' votes.

If the "defensive back" category instead and more sanely went to the highest remaining vote-getter after the top 2 corners and safeties, it would have been Sherman. Then 2nd team corners are Lattimore and Peters, and the 2nd team flex is Harrison Smith (based on highest vote-getters).

Similarly, on offense, Henry should have been the 1st team flex. Chubb would have been the 2nd team RB. The 2nd team flex would actually be a mystery, since there's a whole bunch of players who tied for 1 vote for positions (Edelman, Golladay, Cook) and others for multiple flex votes (Kupp, Aaron Jones). Again, a good reason to do two rounds of voting rather than have everyone make a vote only for 1st team.

Last edited:
6x a-hole too, made it this yr on rep prob

We're at the point of a historically good player's career where a tremendous season with 12.5 sacks and 20 TFL (led the league) gets handwaved away as resting on laurels.

If anything, Donald's hit Brady/Belichick territory, where it becomes more difficult to win awards and accolades because historically good is just what's expected. He's probably closer to Gilmore/Barrett as DPOY than will be evident in voting but his inability to duplicate his historically dominant season from last year and only have a really, really good one will hurt him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back