PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After watching the Colts dominate the Chiefs

Yes, if the chiefs have the injuries that they have now, we would easily beat them.

What are your thoughts on the Pats game plan against the Chiefs? (Don't say we are on to NYG. This is just fun I am not on the coaching staff or team as far as you know)

First of all, the Colts really dominated that game. Time of possession was like 38 to 22 minutes.

The Chiefs could not stop the Colts run game, yet when the Colts threw, other than one interception inside the Chiefs 5, they did fine.

At times in that game I was thinking more about how strong the Colts looked rather than the other way.

Now the Chiefs were hurt, and I am not sure how bad Mahomes ankle is but I did notice a major drop off after the second bang to his ankle when he limped off the field.

He lost his pocket escapability and though he still made some sick side arms slings down the field, overall he seemed less awe inducing without as much scrambling.

It made me wonder if that is such a huge part of his game that when limited it is huge problem for them. And that is the kind of thing BB and this D could force (contain him in the pocket at least more) even if he his health through game plan and scheme.

In the first half that one TD where he escaped the pocket, ran backwards and in circles for like 20 yards then slinged a side arm TD was amazing.

But the Colts dominated them. I know our competition has been weak, but our D and coaching must be superior to the Colts by miles. (Though I think Reich is good)

We have not run great this year (at least that is how it feels to me I have not dove into the stats). We ran on them in the AFCCG. Will we use the blue print the Colts showed. 13 points at home for the Chiefs under Mahomes is very unprecedented. They have score less than 25 with Mahomes at QB since he started.

Anyway getting them their first loss happened way sooner than I thought it would. I should have realized the Lions were close too. It will be interesting to continue watching them whoever they play. Suddenly the Raiders are 1 game out and from I hear the Broncos looked "impressive" (relative to themselves of course)

PS> Chiefs Planet board was quite fun last night.

Don’t know why the chiefs didn’t stick with the running game. They have run the football well this year. Instead they went pass pass pass. Stupid strategy and they should have punted the football.

What are you smoking? They've had one of the worst run games in the league this season. Last night they tried to run against a bottom 3 run defense and they couldn't get anything going on the ground.

Easy:

1.) RUN.THE.DAMN.BALL

2.) Let the D do the rest....play man on man all the way and CONTAIN Mahomes to the pocket!

3.) Call in Brady to make key third down throws if needed!

The Chiefs defense is ranked 31st vs the run. They cant stop the run and injuries are not the excuse.

Moreover, stupid Andy Reid did not learn from last season. The Chiefs and Mahomes want to score in 2 plays and put their lack of depth defense right back out on the field magnifying the porous defense. You watch Brady and the Pats and they purposely want long time consuming drives chewing up small bites of ground. By the 4th quarter the other defense is gassed just like the Chiefs defense was last AFCC.

Year 2 of Mahomes and Defensive Coordinators had all off season to break down his tendencies. He is being rushed this year alot and getting sacked and chased out of the pocket.

I agree with most of this, but the part about trying to lengthen scoring drives doesn’t make sense even though I hear it often. When you think about what’s actually happening, scoring can only be a good thing, and scoring quickly just leaves even more time on the clock and likely more possessions for the Chiefs. I suppose there is some argument out there that it doesn’t give the defense a chance to rest, but I think that is a pretty weak argument considering the benefit of points. In the case of the Chiefs, though, are they supposed to abandon the strength of the team, which is a big play, chunk yardage passing game?

Browns are the ones who aren't as good as I thought. Patriots may be favored by 7 or more points in that one. I was wrong about them.

I suppose there is some argument out there that it doesn’t give the defense a chance to rest
That is the only argument in support of it.

And Belichick agrees with you. He has said it before that TOP is not the most important stats, but POINTS are. Scoring too quickly and easily is NOT a problem for your team, especially if you have a good D that gets occasional 3 and outs. That leads to blow outs.

Think of SB 25. Often people credit Belichick's D Plan, it's in the HOF, etc. But then they talk about the TOP, which was like 40-20. That is from the Offensive Plan.

So in the argument of traditional "TOP rules folks"... the Bills D should have been totally gassed, but Belichick's plan was to let them run not throw. Something never added up to me about whether it was more the O or the D. Or were they perfectly complimentary. I watch commentators praise the Pats for running all over the Chargers last year because they kept playing 7 dbs. But that is exactly what the Bills did to Belichick when Belichick game them the run in SB 25 traded out for stopping the pass. So the Bills did the smart thing and it did actually work. Thomas was a beast in that SB. A missed FG is why they lost.

Was it his Defense, or the TOP by the Offense that was the big factor. Game was 20-19 and took a last second missed FG.

EDIT: think of it this way. The Bills scored 19 points in 20 minutes. The Giants scored 20 in 40 minutes. So the Bills scored a lot "faster" and quickly than the Giants, and it is not their fault that they only got 20 minutes.

It seems to me the Giants win is more because of the O, and the missed FG. I watch the last drive by the Bills a lot to get in FG range and it was actually very sad defence dyring that drive to FG range.

I only need two words

Andy Reid

Heisenberg's electron?
Not quite. Wavefunction collapse.

The Heisenberg thing is because the position and momentum wavefunctions are Fourier transforms of each other and it's a well known property of Fourier transforms in general (nothing specific to quantum mechanics) that the product of the "width" of the function in one domain of the transform and the "width" of the function in the other domain of the transform cannot be made arbitrarily small.

Really, lots of the weirdness in quantum mechanics is simply the consequences of the nature of the math that describes quantum mechanics. Many "weird" things are simply because matrix multiplication isn't commutative, for example. Given the math that describes quantum mechanics, many weird things are totally expected. But I guess you can blame Nature for setting things so that's the math that applies to quantum systems :)

I hear you but oddly, Belichick has flat out said the Time of Possession is an extremely overrated stat. It would be interesting to see a study of wins/losses and TOP.

That is what he said. He said points allowed verse points score only really stat that matters. He even said something like "if we score 7 and it takes 30 seconds. And they score three or zero but take nine minutes, we win."

The point of TOP is not minutes.......it's the drives you get from it.

In 2011, we were getting huge numbers of drives and plays and no team could stay up with that even though the opponent got more yards and points.

High flying offenses will always due better as the number of drives increase through 60 minutes.

The point of TOP is not minutes.......it's the drives you get from it.

In 2011, we were getting huge numbers of drives and plays and no team could stay up with that even though the opponent got more yards and points.

High flying offenses will always due better as the number of drives increase through 60 minutes.
Belichick himself said it was not really important

I hear you but oddly, Belichick has flat out said the Time of Possession is an extremely overrated stat. It would be interesting to see a study of wins/losses and TOP.

That is what he said. He said points allowed verse points score only really stat that matters. He even said something like "if we score 7 and it takes 30 seconds. And they score three or zero but take nine minutes, we win."

Back before the Polianic Era took over the NYFL I was keeping track of a variety of stats vs winning. TOP was way down on the list.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back