PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 20 years of following the NFL, I'm seeing my first game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomezcat

Grumpy Englishman.
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait. I know that this is kind of OT, but I'm really hyped. Someone on ukpatriots has a spare ticket for the Dolphs- Giants, so they called me while I was in the pub last night to offer it to me. Now all we have to do is co-ordinate meeting and paying it for it. The guy himself is sitting elsewhere, so I'll be watching the game with a SKINS fan (LMAO).

It may not sound like a big deal to you guys but this is the real deal, what many of us have been waiting for. There is a much larger cult following for the game than many of you realise and it is growing.

When I was a teenager in 1986, watching highlights on telly of games like New England v the then LA rams or against (spit) Denver, Bernie Kosar's Browns v Boomer's Cincinnati team, or watching the highlights of the SB (which invariably ended in an NFC blowout of the AFC saps) because it was in my pre-college days and staying up to watch the game was a no- no, I didn't dare to think that:

a) I would be able to watch every single Pats game in a season and

b) the internet would allow me to meet people, make friends and insult them from behind the safety of a router firewall (and as an aside, meet Miss Gomezcat).

and
c) that I would get to watch a bone fide regular season, insult- each- others'- mothers- and- hit- properly- game

It's been a long and hard journey following the NFL. We started out with TV highlights, one weekly and one monthly magazine, American Forces Network on long wave, and ended up in a situation where you have to ask people not to text you with the score, so that you can watch the game as live.

I'm looking forward to seeing beyond the cameras. Yes, I've played Madden, seen the replays and read the diagrams, but I want to see the routes and the coverages for myself, watch just how much height punters get on the ball and see the whole thing at proper speed. As ironwasp said when we were texting last night, it would be nice if the Dolphs could keep it competitive to half time.

I won't go into the pros and cons of the game at this point, as they have been discussed to death. Mike Carlson (a guy who went to Wesleyan when BB was there) and Darryl Johnston debate the merits of the game here:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ussports/story/0,,2198015,00.html

I'll post more later.

This, folks, is why it's NOT a bad idea to hold NFL games outside of the US.

Have a ball, G-Cat. I've always admired your upbeat posts. You're a true fan and an asset to the Patriots World!

Great news!
We expect a blow by blow when you get home, just like PatJew gave us a few weeks ago :cool:

Hey Gomez, glad you are fired up, pumped and jacked, about seeing a game finally...have a great time....:) :)

So why not, as I have heard, take away one pre-season game.

Then add one regular season game for each team.

Those 16 games could then be played in a foreign country (LA as well).

I would think there would easily be 8 or 16 different locations of interest.

Enjoy yourself Gomezcat, reading your post tells me how much I take my good fortune for granted (I have been to every home game for a lot of years now and every SUperbowl the Pats have played.)

If the Pat's ever play abroad, I hope it's in Ireland! I'm there! No offense, 'Cat.

Have a good'un mate, I can't make it which I'm gutted about but I know a few lads who are lucky enough to be there today and they're just as excited. They're 30 years old ffs :D You'd think it was christmas.

Enjoy it buddy.

Congrats Gomez!I understand your elation completely,since I've never been to an NFL game yet,been a NE fan for about 30 years....and I'm on this side of the pond....thats kind of sad,I know! Enjoy!

Congrats Gomez!I understand your elation completely,since I've never been to an NFL game yet,been a NE fan for about 30 years....and I'm on this side of the pond....thats kind of sad,I know! Enjoy!

Don't feel bad Krug (or of course you either, G-Cat,) I'm in almost the same boat. Once I could drive, I would go up to Baltimore once a year to see the Pats play the Colts... but that was ages ago, when the "splurge" wasn't quite what it is today.

Since my youth, I have seen a grand total of 1 Redskins game (when a printer's rep was trying to convince a friend of mine,) a playoff game against the Lions no less. Big whoop. I can now die able to boast I saw the great Gus Frerotte (as I recall) in person.

Mon. Night, Dec. 3, will by MY Wembley Moment, when the Pats play the Ravens at MB&T stadium - and I am PUMPED!

So have a freakin BLAST, GCat!!! And if you guys EVER come over the pond, #1, MAKE SURE you plan a trip for the autumn, and plan it in spring and summer, and #2, MAKE SURE you skimp on every possible aspect of the vacation, and spend your money on decent tickets for a Pats game!!!

As for today, I believe your best move is to root for the Giants, since they're not Miami, and since that was pretty much the first team Belichick coached, back in the days before he got rid of that obnoxious "head coach" character.

LMAO... PLUS, I just realized, a Pats win and a Dolphins loss guarantees us a tie with them next year, putting our "magic number" vs. Miami at 1. October is a great month to officially eliminate the bastards, stuff em in tin cans, and call 'em tuna. Not to be confused with the above obnoxious head coach.

PFnV

Last edited:
Have fun Gomez, the first thing that you will notice, if you get near field level, is exactly how big these players are. I remember going to my first game, granted I was a kid, but seeing John Hannah and saying to myself, he's twice the size of Dad (who is no small guy).

Have fun, drink beer, yell like crazy

I find myself wondering if this is enough of a spectacle to really entertain people if no one in attendance really cares who wins -- especially if it's not a very competitive game. Seems like a somewhat odd experience for players and "fans" alike, especially when most of those fans will have only a basic grasp of the rules at best. (Not referring to you specifically, G-cat.)

I know the NFL wants to appeal to overseas markets, but making an exhibition out of a regular-season game doesn't make much sense to me. Is this really going to be any more meaningful to people over there than NFL Europe was?

Last edited:
I can see alot of Giants fans there, the Giants do have a large fan base.

I can see alot of Giants fans there, the Giants do have a large fan base.

The league lucked out with Miami being winless. If both teams were undefeated you can bet fans here would be up in arms. Could you imagine Pats vs. Colts being hijacked to London? If Goodell keeps doing this, someday that's going to happen.

Cat, I am so happy for you today - - that is GREAT.

Please, I want to see a full report from you afterwards. It's always most interesting to hear about people's first impressions of live NFL action.

Enjoy it 110%.

enjoy gcat. i still remember what it felt like to walk into the old Franklin Field in Philly to watch the Eagles play the Cardinals in 1960...still get the same chill down my spine...have a great day!!!

Have a great time G-cat. I'll be looking for you in the stands...kinda furry guy with a line on his head right?

Last edited:
I think it's going well so far, crowd are up for it and enjoying it.

It's awesome that these good fans get a shot to see the game but it appears to me at least half of the fans at this game are taking it as a joke. Taking football out of the states is a bad idea, that's what NFL Europa is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe