PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Championship: We are on to Kansas City!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly am hoping for a low scoring 20-13 NE win rather than a shootout.
Would be a first this year. Chiefs scored at least 26pts in every game this season.

Regards,
Chris

In 2015, the broncos kept getting in the backfield on like every other play. Chiefs haven’t been known for doing that but I’m worried that they play a lot of man coverage. The saints played man coverage against the eagles and shut down the birds offense in the second half. That is what worries me

People forget that in 2015, Vollmer was playing out of position and hurt and Cannon was playing hurt. The entire O-line outside of Andrews missed time that year and Mason was only a rookie.

One thing I hope we preach on defense is to stay with your man and not follow mahomes eyes. A play in particular mahomes got the Indy defenders to move where his eyes were focused allowing him to quickly throw cross field to Kelce (who he was targeting all along).

One thing I hope we preach on defense is to stay with your man and not follow mahomes eyes. A play in particular mahomes got the Indy defenders to move where his eyes were focused allowing him to quickly throw cross field to Kelce (who he was targeting all along).

Mahomes was shredding their zone like he’s been shredding zone all year long. They gotta go in there and be physical with a good balanced approach.

The colts essentially lost when they didn’t get the 3rd and 2 on the first drive, made no attempt the to run the ball on their 2nd drive, and didn’t get a 3rd and 3 on their 3rd drive. And just like that they were down 3 scores

I have a pretty good feeling about this game. I think it’s a mistake to compare this to 2013 and 2015 in Denver. 2013 Brady had next to nothing to work with and that 2015 Broncos defense was the best unit since the ‘02 Bucs and ‘00 Ravens. Couple that with no O-line and only Gronk to work with and the Broncos still escaped by the skin of their teeth stopping a 2 pt conversion attempt. I feel good because that was an excellent game against LAC, all facets, just excellent! Both NE and KC are 0-0, road records, home records do not matter. One game to decide who goes to the Super Bowl. Belichick will come up with a good strategy and we’ll go all out for victory. They won’t hold anything back! KC has some glaring weaknesses (the Chargers really didn’t, and look what we did to them) and BB will have the boys ready. We’re healthy, battle tested and experienced! KC is not, this is new territory for them. Don’t discount that...they’re the ones under pressure this time. Lots of it too! Remember in ‘04 against a rookie QB in Pittsburgh and a 15-1 Steelers team?? Don’t discount the weather either, if it’s as bitterly cold as they say it will be on Sunday, that tends to tip the balance to the defenses. KC’s high flying attack will have more difficulty. A frozen piece of leather doesn’t fly too well in sub zero temps!

Brady and co will murder the chiefs defense. The question will be who makes more plays like last time basically

Mahomes was shredding their zone like he’s been shredding zone all year long. They gotta go in there and be physical with a good balanced approach.

The colts essentially lost when they didn’t get the 3rd and 2 on the first drive, made no attempt the to run the ball on their 2nd drive, and didn’t get a 3rd and 3 on their 3rd drive. And just like that they were down 3 scores

Gotta jump on them early try to take the crowd out of it. Also see how Indy adjusted in the second half holding kc to 7 pts. I don’t think kc took their foot off the petal by that point.

If the mistake-laden team that we've seen on the road all season aside from the Chicago game shows up... KC. If not then New England. With the news coming out over the weekend that Brady's been playing hurt, I'd have to think he'll torch that secondary. The question remains if they're going to match us score for score or gouge us on the ground for extended drives.

Yeah, I tend to agree. More than anything the offense has to show up. This defense can not be trusted to hold up under pressure when down. At home, the Pats offense has, for the most part, dictated the game.

Plus in Lucas and Ward they are playing a couple of kids in the secondary now. It gives them more speed but they are inexperienced.

....and we all know what Tom does to inexperienced defensive backs.

The Jags and Steelers were tougher foes. I get it that those games were at Foxboro, but I'm of the opinion that our regular season woes on the road don't necessarily translate to the AFCCG.

Also noticed how fast at times the kc edge defenders were getting to the colts backfield. Our tackles need to win those battles, Maybe use Patterson and Edelman in motion for some confusion?

If this had already been posted upthread, or elsewhere, my apologies.

"I Just Like Winning"

Pats did great yesterday and that pass rush was better than what I have seen in years.

Pats are absolutely abysmal on the road so and they are up against a 7-1 home team. I said after they lost in comical fashion in Miami that would cost them them a chance at the SB. No way they are taking their 3-5 road record into KC and winning.

I’m more confident in this game than I was with the Chargers. Chargers had Allen/ Williams brothers/ and a Akler with a good defense . KC only has Hill/Kelce although mahomes is elite right now.

I’d double Hill with Jackson/McCourty as JC is elite down field. Double Kelce and eliminate Watkins with Gilmore bring pressure on Mahomes and dare them to run.
Double two different guys and bring pressure on Mahomes? How is that gonna work? That means you have 7 in coverage so just 4 left to rusg, and that’s assuming 0 spy on Mahomes while playing man defense, which is probably not something we want to do. I’m not sure this is realistic

Double two different guys and bring pressure on Mahomes? How is that gonna work? That means you have 7 in coverage so just 4 left to rusg, and that’s assuming 0 spy on Mahomes while playing man defense, which is probably not something we want to do. I’m not sure this is realistic
You won't do all at the same time. Gilmore (if he has Hill) and Chung (on TE) are good enough that they can take their guy 1-1 sometimes when pressure is sent and get help when it isn't. Of course, last time Gilmore got Watkins so we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes