PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Advice needed - Australian coming to Boston for opening game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarzar

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here as I'm in search of some advice. My wife and myself along with our 1 year old boy will be in Boston for three days. We are hoping to catch the opening game of the season and also a Red Sox game. Can you please tell me what is the best way to purchase tickets as I'm not too sure if StubHub is the best way to go about it. I've contacted Gillette stadium and they've told me I do need a tick for my 1 year old son. If I do leave getting tickets to the game closer to the opening night am I risking missing out on tickets or is it a good idea to wait so that way they've hopefully come down in price?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Marc

My advice is to not bring a 1 year old to the Patriots game. I doubt the price of the tickets drops as the game approaches, this is a banner unfurling...These games are premium.

I would check again because I didn't think they made you pay for a 1 year old. Maybe the guy you talked for it wrong.

Also I agree with Nunchucks the price on this one is not likely to drop.

Ticketmaster puts a very small amount of face value tickets on sale in June or July. Chance your arm with that first before you try Stubhub or Seatgeek.

Usually closer to game time the prices drop, but in this case with banner night...#5. They probably wont drop. But still wait a few months to buy IMO

This first game is a very expensive ticket. :(

Please remember that the 1st game will b held on a Thursday nite so it may b difficult for a 1 YO.
You have plenty of time to look but I'd start to look in August. Stubhub is VERY reliable. However, u will pay a hefty price on related fees if u use them

If you can afford it, stay at the Renaissance or Hilton that are located in the stadium parking lot. thats where ill be. cant beat going to a game staying there (well the hilton is just opening)

Only you know your kid. Mine would have sucked at a game so I wouldn't have brought her. But some kids are freaking amazing and sleep through everything. If that is yours, I am so damned jealous and have fun with your little backpack monkey at the game!

Take pics and post about it!

I can't offer advice about how to get tickets.

A ticket for a 1 year old? Kraft cheaping out again?

I used a ticket broker called tick pick for the super bowl. They are very good and DO NOT charge service fees like stubhub does. I ended up saving almost $1000.

Agreed with those that suggest trying to avoid bringing your son to the game. You're going to pay a lot for the tickets, it would be a shame to be distracted trying to keep him happy the entire time.

If your wife doesn't care about the game maybe you can convince her to do something else with your son and let you go to the game yourself.

Please don't bring an infant to the game. That many people for that long a period with, half of them or more well lubed up is asking for trouble.......not intentional butshit happens. Don't ruin an otherwise great event.

It's a long game for a 1 year old, i know for me it would be tough. Stubhub or seatgeek expect to pay minimum $200 up for a ticket

A night game means an afternoon of ****ing pounding beers for everyone seated around you.

The screaming crowd + a tired baby = lots of crying.

These are not good combinations. I'm not saying someone will start a fight, cause they won't, but you'll get some comments.

I'd seriously look into finding a babysitter for that night.

If you do bring your child I strongly recommend having him wear ear protection. It can be very, very loud. In addition to whatever cheering happens the team plays (IMHO) earsplitting music near-continuously -- from the moment the ball is blown dead to the moment the ball is snapped. I can't imagine that's good for developing ears.

Check with the hotel you are staying at. The conceirge will often be able to hook you up with a reputable baby sitter for that night. It will be better for everyone. As for the tickets this is a game where I don't think ticket prices will dip as time goes on.

This is not only Banner Night, it is also the "return of Goodell". So it's not just a game, it will be an event. Follow the advice of the people above about where to try and get tickets. They know better than me. (and don't forget to wear your "clown out" T-shirt. ;) )

I hope you enjoy your three days in the city. Its a great town, and very walkable. I know it sounds hockey, but when you have such limited time here, the best way to get an overview of the city in a short time would be to take one of duck tours, or one of the other tour trips.

Ok - here's the chick/mother's point of view. Don't bring your baby. As others have said, it is going to be incredibly loud and raucous that night. It's the opening game of the NFL season; it's a night game (on a week night when it's still "summer in NE" - add at least two hours for traffic before the game); they are raising the banner (making the opening ceremony, and therefore the game, that much longer); friggin Fraudger Goodell is supposed to make an appearance (and I and many of my closest friends will have on a clown shirt and the mood to match); even if you park "close" to the stadium, you won't be close to the stadium (and the closer you park, the longer it will take you to get out at the end of the game) - it will still be a big walk, and you will not be able to bring in a stroller, and probably not a baby carrier either (bag restrictions are enforced). Even a diaper bag may be a no-no (check ahead). You will be stuck in a relatively small space and there will probably be loud drunks right next to you or behind you. Both my husband and one of my kids have, at different times, been knocked down by a drunk lurching around in the concourse. I have been unintentionally stepped on and had beers spilled on me. It's not fair to your son, and you and your wife (especially her if you and your spouse are like me and my spouse) will be stressed out and won't enjoy the game, if you even get to watch it. My 52 year old kid (husband) won't go any more because it's too long of a day (and that's for a run-of-the-mill 1:00 p.m. game). I am sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I know from whence I speak. The earliest I took my kids to a game was when my older 2 were 3. It was a pre-season game and we told them they had to walk a lot (no asking to be carried) and if anyone cried we were leaving. They made it to half-time (we only stayed while the starters played) and were good, but you can reason with a 3 year old (a little) and ply them with treats. Not so a one year old. They didn't ask to go again for a long time (i.e. it wasn't terribly enjoyable the first time). My brother brought my five year old nephew to the opening (1:00 p.m.) game last year. He (the 5 yr. old) wanted to leave at half time even though he is a big Pats fan. It's just too much for a little kid.

Reading through this you would think that a Pats game is the worst thing eva! It's not, if you are an adult. In fact, there is nothing better. However, you won't have the same experience when you are wondering if your baby is going to be all right. If you still want to go, keep trying on Ticket Master or if you have a friend who has access, the NFL Ticket Exchange. We use Stub Hub for extra tix, but I agree with those who have said this game probably won't drop in price.

I hope you and your wife make it to a game, either the opener, or perhaps one where you can leave the little one home. Go Pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes