PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Abandoning ship? Pats WR coach Ross Douglas leaving for Syracuse post

This clickbate thread title would make Musketfire jealous. What a Nothing-burger. It is highly likely that Bill gave his blessing for Douglas to move on now. Syracuse has a new head coach, who surely wants to finalize his staff, so they can hit the ground running when the off-season program starts and to help with recruiting.
No HC is letting one of theirs leave voluntarily in the middle of a season.

He isn't getting paid **** here so its understandable.

And where did you get THAT information? Guess again.

How much does an NFL position coach make?
"The average salary for an NFL assistant coach in the U.S. is about $400,000 per season. Meanwhile, the average salary for an NFL offensive or defensive coordinator is about $1 million."

One might assume working as an assistant in the college ranks pays less than the NFL. But Douglas perhaps reasoned that being assured of a job somewhere else beats the prospect of getting cut loose in four weeks.

"Syracuse University Assistant Coaches earn $53,000 annually, or $25 per hour, which is 55% higher than the national average for all Assistant Coaches at $30,000 annually and 22% lower than the national salary average for all working Americans. The highest paid Assistant Coaches work for University of Washington at $66,000 annually and the lowest paid Assistant Coaches work for University of California, Irvine at $20,000 annually."

+$23K (55%) more than national average Assistant Coach salary ($30K)

How much do assistant coaches make in college football?
"The average Assistant Football Coach salary is $31,301 as of November 27, 2023, but the salary range typically falls between $27,948 and $36,531."

I just hope this is an indication that a decision has been made re: Bill, and the rats are abandoning the ship before Black Monday.

Which is the speculative point of this thread and the preceding post you somehow found humorous.

Last edited:
No HC is letting one of theirs leave voluntarily in the middle of a season.
Do you have a source? If so please cite.

if not please don’t make absolute statements based on nothing but projection of your personal opinion.

Getting the 2020 Rutgers crew back together. That’s at least the HC, TE coach (who was also interim HC) and WR coach.

Let us know when the sacred cows on the coaching staff get culled.
Troy gots ta go

From the outside looking in, we are just speculating the reasons for his in season move. We have no idea. In general I am not really a big fan of anyone owing anybody anything when it comes to a job. You do what is best for you and your family and they do what they believe is best for the company. If you want to stay do all you can to make yourself valuable. If an employer really wants you to stay they will give you a reason to stay.

He is staying through the season. Not a big deal. This happens.

Let's face it, despite the win on Thursday, odds are still good Belichick will be gone after the season. That means Douglas would probably be out of a job anyway. If he was able to secure a new job now, who gives a crap?

Perhaps BB, knowing he needs to make WR coaching changes, told Douglas that if he gets an opportunity he should take it?

One would think BB wouldn't want anyone on staff leaving before the season's over. Also, both the NFL and colleges are in-season; the Syracuse opportunity is a rare situation. And if he told Douglas that, what about Troy Brown?

Perhaps BB, knowing he needs to make WR coaching changes, told Douglas that if he gets an opportunity he should take it?

Or maybe Belichick leaving after the season is a done deal or very likely.

Belichick has rarely over the last 24 years fired anyone. He is usually pretty loyal to his staff to a fault. Look at Cam Achord. That guy should have been fired two years ago. The only coaches I can remember Belichick letting go are Dean Pees (I think that was a personality issue) and Dave DeGuglielmo (that was because the o-line was a complete disaster). I cannot think another coach who was let go.

Last edited:
One would think BB wouldn't want anyone on staff leaving before the season's over. Also, both the NFL and colleges are in-season; the Syracuse opportunity is a rare situation. And if he told Douglas that, what about Troy Brown?
Sure, in-season departures are generally to be avoided but maybe this is a case of addition by subtraction. The Syracuse position gives Douglas a graceful way to leave; gives BB a chance to try someone else as asst WR coach.

Or maybe Belichick leaving after the season is a done deal or very likely.

Belichick has rarely over the last 24 years fired anyone. He is usually pretty loyal to his staff to a fault. Look at Cam Achord. That guy should have been fired two years ago. The only coaches I can remember Belichick letting go are Dean Peas (I think that was a personality issue) and Dave DeGuglielmo (that was because the o-line was a complete disaster). I cannot think another coach who was let go.
BB doesn't seem to consider "what if I need to fire this guy" when he hires so when they plainly need firing I guess he finds it too uncomfortable to do. Pees and Googs are the only two I can think of as well who actually got the boot.

Sure, in-season departures are generally to be avoided but maybe this is a case of addition by subtraction. The Syracuse position gives Douglas a graceful way to leave; gives BB a chance to try someone else as asst WR coach.

Maybe, we're all just speculating here. By NFL standards the Patriots have a comparatively small coaching staff, so whatever Douglas was doing in service to Troy Brown had to have some degree of importance. It also appears he earned good money as an NFL assistant vs. what college assistants make, so go figure.

Super disrespectful. BB gave hime a chance with his first assignment as a position coach.
Leaving early during this type of season for a lateral job is not a good look.
Embarrassing for Bill also.
He would have likely been unemployed in January and will have 1/1000 the amount of money, contacts, and opportunities that Bill will have. Good for Douglas.

Last edited:
From what miniscule tidbits of information that are available, this actually sounds like a promotion for Douglas in his football career.

Wide receivers coach Ross Douglas is leaving the team for a similar job at Syracuse, ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported Saturday. He’s expected to have a “significant role” in Syracuse’s offense under new coach Fran Brown, Thamel added.
Douglas, who just turned 29 last Sunday, has emerged as an enticing young coach over the last couple of years. He was named a “young coach to watch” in NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero’s annual column over the last two years and was one of the three youngest coaches in the 2023 version of the column.

I don't have any evidence, but is it actually uncommon for a college team to announce the hiring of an NFL coach after the college season has ended, but prior to the finish of the NFL season? Us old timers remember all too well the Colorado-Chuck Fairbanks fiasco. I don't know if this Douglas-Syracuse hire is really that much of an anomaly, especially for such a low level coach (assistant to Troy Brown).

I just hope this is an indication that a decision has been made re: Bill, and the rats are abandoning the ship before Black Monday.
Might be just an opportunity for the guy to get a better gig.

Bill: We aren't going to the eff'n playoffs. Go, get started now and get a jump on next year. Best of luck to you.

Is he an effective coach?

Not a big deal. College coaches at P5 schools DEF make a lot more than a low level NFL assistant job. And our WR’s suck. Who cares.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back