Abandoning ship? Pats WR coach Ross Douglas leaving for Syracuse post

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
With three years experience to Troy Brown's five, he apparently is the No. 2 WR coach. But leaving before the season's over is not the greatest look.

headshot-cropped-2002-ross-douglas

I’d like to see them replace him with someone from the college ranks that has experience with successful big bodied wr’s.
I'd like to see a replacement who didn't play mostly DB in college and was a defensive coach even in his 1st year with the Pats then switched to assistant WR coach last year. It was a curious decision at the time of the hire. Very up is down / cats are dogs / Patty is an OC / type of experience.

December fools?? :rolleyes:

Super disrespectful. BB gave hime a chance with his first assignment as a position coach.
Leaving early during this type of season for a lateral job is not a good look.
Embarrassing for Bill also.

This clickbate thread title would make Musketfire jealous. What a Nothing-burger. It is highly likely that Bill gave his blessing for Douglas to move on now. Syracuse has a new head coach, who surely wants to finalize his staff, so they can hit the ground running when the off-season program starts and to help with recruiting.

I hope BB has an out of work nephew or something. Scream nepotism all you want but BB hasn't had a loyal non-relative working for him since Weis/Crennel/Fears/Scar.

This clickbate thread title would make Musketfire jealous. What a Nothing-burger. It is highly likely that Bill gave his blessing for Douglas to move on now. Syracuse has a new head coach, who surely wants to finalize his staff, so they can hit the ground running when the off-season program starts and to help with recruiting.

The thread title was not intended as "click bait." This is a news item about an assistant coach leaving before the season is finished. A BAD season with a head coach on the hot seat, in which lower-level assistants might be extra antsy about job security. I'm sure Douglas had *some* responsibility justifying full-time employment with the Patriots, especially considering the team's comparatively small staff. Whether BB gave his blessing as if it didn't matter is just a guess vs. "highly likely." And whether Douglas still would've jumped ship with the Patriots playoff-bound is an open question.

Last edited:
I hope BB has an out of work nephew or something. Scream nepotism all you want but BB hasn't had a loyal non-relative working for him since Weis/Crennel/Fears/Scar.
Ridiculously incorrect. As if there isn't a coach on the staff who returned to work for him a second time as an example. And he's not the first one.

Ridiculously incorrect. As if there isn't a coach on the staff who returned to work for him a second time as an example. And he's not the first one.
I think what you are referring to are coaches that sought their own path, didn't do so hot, and came back to a guy that actually is loyal for another shot at career rejuvenation. I think BOB may be the exception currently.

Listen, if you worked with the 2023 NE’s WR corps and someone wants to pay you next season - you take it. Dude’s gotta feed his family.
He isn't getting paid **** here so its understandable.

I just hope this is an indication that a decision has been made re: Bill, and the rats are abandoning the ship before Black Monday.

Super disrespectful. BB gave hime a chance with his first assignment as a position coach.
Leaving early during this type of season for a lateral job is not a good look.
Embarrassing for Bill also.
How is it disrespectful? Should he wait till end of season and struggle to find a job after getting fired for the sake of respect?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back