PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Toast to Bill Belichick

The Herald article was someone close to the Krafts in management clearing off the runway.
It did seem like 95% bad about BB and 5% good there at the end.

Man, I don’t know; I want him to stay, but I think it’s over. Reiss said this morning that he’s hearing Belichick is closer to be fired than staying. Bruschi said he’s hearing the same thing.

It hurts me to say it, and I think it’s a mistake, but it’s over.
Its a mistake for sure.

The end for shots at a Super Bowl for a long time.

I think he will retire tbh.
He will retire if he doesn't see a situation that is to his preference.

For example, if ****head Dean Spanos wants final say on personnel there is 0% chance Bill goes there.

I predict Bill moves on from NE and he sits out a year. Some team will give him full control.

• Interesting
Reactions: sb1
The reality that this is most likely the last game BB coaches in New England is pretty heavy as far as I'm concerned. This is not a thread about whether he should stay or go (I think it's time to move on), but a thread for us all to raise a glass in acknowledgement of what an amazing era of football he fostered in New England.

Thanks for the memories, coach.
GOAT

I can remember during one the patiots documentary on NFL network..of bill saying how he had to come up with ways to challenge Brady he said he had times he felt like there was nothing he could do to challenge him as he was so competitive and driven.
I’m sure that statement wasn’t meant for his first ten years in the league. Definitely after thou… both consummate professionals.

The Herald article was someone close to the Krafts in management clearing off the runway.
I believe that Kraft is still plenty pixxed off about letting Brady leave and BB really having no viable plan for QB.

After 4 season Krafts team is closer to the # 1 pick than making the playoffs.

A lot of people diminish all the great things Belichick has done because of the collapse of the team since Brady left.

Fact is although people remember the Brady last second drive in the Super Bowl in the 2001 season, Belichick’s game plan to shut down the Greatest Show on Turf was the main reason the Pats won that game.

In 2004, both starting CBs were on IR by early in the season and Belichick patched together that secondary with Troy Brown and an endless revolving door of scrub CBs to make the Pats have a top secondary in the league.

The AFCCG in the 2003 season, people forget what kind of juggernaut the Colts offense was in the playoffs coming into this game. Manning in the first two rounds in the playoffs threw for 683 yards and eight TDs and no INTs and completing 83.6% of his passes in the Wild Card round and 73.3% of his passes in the Division round. The Pats’ defense intercepted Manning four times and he only completed 48.9% of his passes.

Those are just a few of the things he architected that led to championships for this team.

I don’t think he is the right guy to rebuild this team and the game may be passing him by a bit. But there is no doubt he is the greatest coach of all time. Belichick would have Super Bowl rings if he never had Brady just like Brady has a ring without Belichick and would have more if he never played for Belichick. I don’t think either would have six like they have together.

BB does look burned out though.

He aged 40 years in 20. Jimmy Johnson never regretted leaving the game.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
If it’s true….thanks BB, one of two GOAT.
95 Browns and our 20+ years ….. awesome, just awesome-thx for my best time of my life in sports.

Then why was **** Rehbien begging Belichick to take Brady?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/2...ein-championed-tom-brady-new-england-patriots
Bobby Grier was scouting him and as the article states, he called up Coach Lloyd to basically get talked into giving the green light into drafting him. It is weird that Grier got fired after that though.

It's really sad for Rehbein didn't get to witness with his family how Tom ended up being the GOAT. He absolutely would've been an OC somewhere or even leapfrogged that into HC.
Man, I don’t know; I want him to stay, but I think it’s over. Reiss said this morning that he’s hearing Belichick is closer to be fired than staying. Bruschi said he’s hearing the same thing.

It hurts me to say it, and I think it’s a mistake, but it’s over.
Bruschi earlier this season thought Bill should retire.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Jimmy Johnson never regretted leaving the game.
Johnson still had something left, but he couldn't fix that offense and Marino was cooked at his arrival. He stacked that defense though.

I predict Bill moves on from NE and he sits out a year. Some team will give him full control.
I think if Dallas flames out in the Wildcard round), Jerry will right his wrong on pushing Parcells out and give Bill full control.

Last edited:
f2929ad2-669d-4384-afe8-d798c854866e_text.gif

Johnson still had something left, but he couldn't fix that offense and Marino was cooked at his arrival. He stacked that defense though.
Agree. I don't think he was burnt out from coaching. He was burnt out from the politics and dealing with Marino.

If Marino was a few years younger and was amenable to Jimmy's pleas to be more careful with the football he might have stayed.

I’m sure that statement wasn’t meant for his first ten years in the league. Definitely after thou… both consummate professionals.
He was commending him to how great of a competitor he was. I believe it was just a general statement of how he was as a player

We were very fortunate to watch so many Superbowls and always be in the running. I was hoping post Brady was better. It's very sad the bizarre decisions. To me it's a realization I'm old and the era is officially over when bb moves on

A lot of people diminish all the great things Belichick has done because of the collapse of the team since Brady left.

Fact is although people remember the Brady last second drive in the Super Bowl in the 2001 season, Belichick’s game plan to shut down the Greatest Show on Turf was the main reason the Pats won that game.

In 2004, both starting CBs were on IR by early in the season and Belichick patched together that secondary with Troy Brown and an endless revolving door of scrub CBs to make the Pats have a top secondary in the league.

The AFCCG in the 2003 season, people forget what kind of juggernaut the Colts offense was in the playoffs coming into this game. Manning in the first two rounds in the playoffs threw for 683 yards and eight TDs and no INTs and completing 83.6% of his passes in the Wild Card round and 73.3% of his passes in the Division round. The Pats’ defense intercepted Manning four times and he only completed 48.9% of his passes.

Those are just a few of the things he architected that led to championships for this team.

I don’t think he is the right guy to rebuild this team and the game may be passing him by a bit. But there is no doubt he is the greatest coach of all time. Belichick would have Super Bowl rings if he never had Brady just like Brady has a ring without Belichick and would have more if he never played for Belichick. I don’t think either would have six like they have together.
Not to mention the 2019 Super Bowl. 3 points to the 11th greatest offense in NFL history?

Seriously?

Credit to the players too: I saw Elandon Roberts destroying people out there. Trey Flowers was a wrecking ball. They kicked butt all over the field.

No matter how this plays out, I hope that Coach B goes on to break the all time win record and obviously a well deserved place in the Hall of Fame. The first forty years were rough, yeah even worse than today - much worse. To go through 20 years of excellence (and near excellence) is something that will probably never be duplicated and much of the credit goes to the guy with the headset telling everyone of us that was screaming at the TV for him to call a timeout with the Seahawks ready to score, “yeah, I got it”! And he did…

Not to mention the 2019 Super Bowl. 3 points to the 11th greatest offense in NFL history?

Seriously?

Credit to the players too: I saw Elandon Roberts destroying people out there. Trey Flowers was a wrecking ball. They kicked butt all over the field.

I am not taking away from the players. Against the Greatest Show on Turf, McGinest was awesome against Marshall Faulk totally taking him out of the game. I am just pointing out the brilliance of Belichick in these situations. He still needed the players to execute.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back