PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A scoop of humble pie may be good for BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think Bill thinks he did anything wrong and he was okay selling out fir rings and is okay knowing he had no cap last off season and is okay starting a rebuild next year.

I don’t think Belichick necessarily needs motivation, but I think the results made him realize he was wrong about some things personnel-wise.

They do need to address the offense further. I think he thought they’d be good enough to get through it and be competitive, but they were grossly undermanned and I do question Newton’s health given how much stronger he looked through the first few weeks after going back through the season the other night. But there were a lot of things that also went wrong that didn’t help things, and only Bill really knows what those are.
Agree.

Points #3 and #5 are reasonable takes.

Everything else is rubbish

Who are the candidates for "experienced assistant" in #5? If the Adam Gase thread is any indication, people have a lot higher expectations than just experience, even if we're talking about a former HC even just being the Patriots' QB coach.

He tried to order one during the game but was put on hold for too long

"Aha, Belichick going 6-9 confirms that he's been doing things wrong all along!"

"Aha, Belichick going 6-9, with a QB who throws worse than my 4 year old, confirms that he's been doing things wrong all along!"

o_O

I’ve never understood why anyone cares about his demeanour during pressers. If anything, his historical approach has been much, much more entertaining than the usual HC strategy.

First, he is cartoonish and I personally find it hilarious. I also like his disdain for stupid questions. Finally, his strategy makes it so that he never offends opponents, colleagues, players... so they don’t need to feel « disrespected » and whatnot.
For those of us who remember, Parcells was the GOAT at pressers.

I don’t think Belichick necessarily needs motivation, but I think the results made him realize he was wrong about some things personnel-wise.

They do need to address the offense further. I think he thought they’d be good enough to get through it and be competitive, but they were grossly undermanned and I do question Newton’s health given how much stronger he looked through the first few weeks after going back through the season the other night. But there were a lot of things that also went wrong that didn’t help things, and only Bill really knows what those are.
Nobody's perfect but Bill's the closest thing to Red Auerbach that I've ever seen.

I don't like that Brady isn't finishing his career in a Pats uniform and I believe in players more than coaches, but Bill is miles ahead of anyone else in the NYFL. He makes less costly mistakes in a season than some HCs make in a single game.

Think back to all the mistakes that he's ever made here in 20 years. I can only come up with a handful and a couple of those are debatable.

I do not understand this idea where people assume belichick believes his team and decisions are perfect and he undergoes realization as if it causes him to change his criteria of evaluation.
Every decision maker on the nfl is aware that many decisions are wrong in hindsight (there may be 8 or 10 draft picks in any draft that were the best choice in hindsight) because they are always based upon speculation, and the unknown. People actually act like Belichick refuses to accept that any decision he makes could ever be wrong when he actually has spent his entire career making bad decisions along with good ones, owning them and moving forward. It’s literally what he does every day.
I’m not really responding specifically to your post because I know you didn’t imply these things, but the concept in general and how it gets discussed here.

I do not understand this idea where people assume belichick believes his team and decisions are perfect and he undergoes realization as if it causes him to change his criteria of evaluation.
Every decision maker on the nfl is aware that many decisions are wrong in hindsight (there may be 8 or 10 draft picks in any draft that were the best choice in hindsight) because they are always based upon speculation, and the unknown. People actually act like Belichick refuses to accept that any decision he makes could ever be wrong when he actually has spent his entire career making bad decisions along with good ones, owning them and moving forward. It’s literally what he does every day.
I’m not really responding specifically to your post because I know you didn’t imply these things, but the concept in general and how it gets discussed here.
I think like any person in his role, it’s key not to overreact and to take a measured approach with every decision. We know this even during the championship years where people were losing their minds in early October only to see it play out just fine during the postseason.

This year it didn’t work out that way and I’m sure they’ve had internal discussions about what their plans are moving forward. But how the roster starts to look leading up to camp should give us a better sense of what direction they’re going in. But the QB situation remains key and I’d be lying if I said I felt overly confident if Cam is back next season without a better successor behind him, or at least if Stidham really isn’t that guy. While I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt from a potential injury standpoint, I just don’t see it. They would have to have their future guy or someone like that ready to step in by midseason if he was to return. As it is, they lost developmental plays to the younger receivers this season. I’d hate for that to continue for another year.

I didn’t read it that way.

Being less abrasive with the media will be helpful. Otherwise the media will pile on like they’ve been waiting to do for 20 years and it’s started already.

The thing is, BB doesn't care about the media "piling on". Dumb questions will be met with derision, thoughtful ones with a response from the teacher BB is.

It is natural to overvalue your own players, and an instinct BB always resisted. He might be wondering if he accidentally overvalued some of his D-Line and LBs. That would not surprise me.

Nobody's perfect but Bill's the closest thing to Red Auerbach that I've ever seen.

I don't like that Brady isn't finishing his career in a Pats uniform and I believe in players more than coaches, but Bill is miles ahead of anyone else in the NYFL. He makes less costly mistakes in a season than some HCs make in a single game.

Think back to all the mistakes that he's ever made here in 20 years. I can only come up with a handful and a couple of those are debatable.
But, Red had the common sense to know when it was time to step away from coaching and went on to win 6 additional championships as the GM solely.

Bill should consider the wisdom of what Red did.

Bill’s attitude is not and has never been a problem. He takes responsibility for all failures with the team and knows that ultimately his decisions lead to success or failure. He has never once blamed others.

His attitude is the same as it was in 1999, 2007, 2014, and every year in between. He is always looking to improve and every move and decision must put the organization over an individual, including himself.

I don’t see any arrogance here.

If anything, it’s time for Bill to move on from some failures who are bringing down the team. A new personnel leader and a new offensive coordinator - whose vision is tied to the modern game - would be ideal. The Patriots are no longer beholden to their dynasty and no longer need to continue with old concepts for the sake of continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News