PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A question about the practice squad

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone name a player that has made a meaningful contribution after being promoted from the Patriot's practice squad mid season? I am sure that there have been a few the last 2-3 years however I need my memory refreshed. Thanks!

While I am not sure how to quantify 'meaningful contribution', I'll throw a few names out there for consideration.
This does not include UDFAs that made the initial roster, such as Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, etc.
On average it's about one player per year.

2020 has new rules regarding moving players from the practice squad to the game day roster, so it's not an apples to apples comparison to other years. K Nick Folk and C James Ferentz both began the season on the practice squad.

2019 - FB Jakob Johnson
Filled the FB role after James Develin was injured, until he too went on IR in mid-October.
Played in four games with 71 snaps in 2019, 7 games in 2020 with 127 snaps this year, plus 102 ST snaps.

2018 - C James Ferentz
Has played in 18 games with the Pats, with three starts.

2017 - C Ted Karras
Promoted to the 53 man roster less than a week after being signed to the practice squad in 2017, so this may not qualify as 'mid season'. Went on to play in every game that year, then was the starting center in 2019.

2015 - DB Brandon King
Special Teams ace from 2015-2018.

2014 - RB Jonas Gray
He will always have that one memorable game against the Colts, if nothing else.

2014 - OT Jordan Devey
Played in seven games with four starts in 2014.

2013 - DT Sealver Siliga
Made 13 starts over three seasons with the Patriots.

2013 - G Josh Kline
Appeared in 33 games with 18 starts, including 13 starts in 2015. Was a starter the next four seasons in Tennessee and Minnesota.

2013 - FB James Develin
Replaced TE Matt Mulligan and his steam shovel on the roster early in the 2013 season.
Went on to play 97 games for the Pats, with one Pro Bowl award and three Super Bowl rings.

2012 - WR Kamar Aiken
He didn't do much with the Pats, but he did then go on to have a few productive years with the Ravens.

2011 - CB Sterling Moore
Backup made three starts in 2011, with two interceptions.
In AFCCG vs Ravens he broke up a pass in the end zone to Lee Evans to save the game, paving the way for Billy Cundiff's 32 yard wide left shank.

2011 - OL Nick McDonald
16 games, 3 starts over two seasons.

2010 - S Sergio Brown
Began 2011 as starter after Brandon Meriweather was released.

2009 - CB Kyle Arrington
Special team ace became a starter in 2010 and led the NFL with 7 picks in 2011.
Biggest claim to fame was being benched in SB 49, replaced by Malcolm Butler.

2009 - OL Ryan Wendell
Eight years with the Pats, three as a starter.

2008 - RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Law Firm made Laurence Maroney expendable, and rushed for 13 TD in 2010.

2007 - OL Dan Connolly
Who can forget that kickoff return against the Packers?
Was a starter at LG, C, RG, RG and LG from 2010-14.

2007 - FB Kyle Eckel
Core special teamer in 07

2006 - S Antwain Spann
Backup for three seasons, got some decent playing time in 08 when Rodney Harrison went on IR.

2004 - CB Earthwind Moreland
Pressed into service in 04 after Ty Law and Tyron Poole were injured.

2004 - LB Eric Alexander
Played in 45 games for Pats from 04-09.

2004 - G Billy Yates
Started 11 games over four seasons as a backup OL.

2003 - OL Russ Hochstein
Not a starter, but as good as you could reasonably expect for a backup C/G.
91 games, 20 starts over seven seasons with two rings in NE.

2002 - RT Brandon Gorin
Started 18 games in 04-05

2001 - LB Matt Chatham
Six seasons as a reserve and core special teamer

2000 - FB Patrick Pass
Four time super bowl champion played in 78 games for the Pats.

While I am not sure how to quantify 'meaningful contribution', I'll throw a few names out there for consideration.
This does not include UDFAs that made the initial roster, such as Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson, Jonathan Jones, etc.

2020 has new rules regarding moving players from the practice squad to the game day roster, so it's not an apples to apples comparison to other years. K Nick Folk and C James Ferentz both began the season on the practice squad.

2019 - FB Jakob Johnson
Filled the FB role after James Develin was injured, until he too went on IR in mid-October.
Played in four games with 71 snaps in 2019, 7 games in 2020 with 127 snaps this year, plus 102 ST snaps.

2018 - C James Ferentz

2017 - C Ted Karras
Promoted to the 53 man roster less than a week after being signed to the practice squad in 2017, so this may not qualify as 'mid season'. Went on to play in every game that year, then was the starting center in 2019.

2015 - DB Brandon King

2014 - RB Jonas Gray

2014 - OT Jordan Devey

2013 - DT Sealver Siliga

2013 - G Josh Kline
Appeared in 33 games with 18 starts, including 13 starts in 2015. Was a starter the next four seasons in Tennessee and Minnesota.

2013 - FB James Develin
Replaced TE Matt Mulligan and his steam shovel on the roster early in the 2013 season.
Went on to play 97 games for the Pats, with one Pro Bowl award and three Super Bowl rings.

2012 - WR Kamar Aiken
He didn't do much with the Pats, but he did then go on to have a few productive years with the Ravens.

2011 - CB Sterling Moore
In AFCCG vs Ravens he broke up a pass in the end zone to Lee Evans to save the game, paving the way for Billy Cundiff's 32 yard wide left shank.

2011 - OL Nick McDonald

2010 - S Sergio Brown

2009 - CB Kyle Arrington

2009 - OL Ryan Wendell

2007 - OL Dan Connolly

2007 - FB Kyle Eckel

2006 - S Antwain Spann
Backup for three seasons, got some decent playing time in 08 when Rodney Harrison went on IR.

2004 - LB Eric Alexander

2004 - G Billy Yates

2003 - OL Russ Hochstein

2002 - RT Brandon Gorin

2001 - LB Matt Chatham

2000 - FB Patrick Pass

Thats a pretty impressive list given how limited PS sizes were until a few years ago and how BB often had used a couple of those slots as everchanging bodies for the scout team.

2019 - FB Jakob Johnson

2018 - C James Ferentz

2017 - C Ted Karras

2015 - DB Brandon King

2014 - RB Jonas Gray

2014 - OT Jordan Devey

2013 - DT Sealver Siliga

2013 - G Josh Kline

2013 - FB James Develin

2012 - WR Kamar Aiken

2011 - CB Sterling Moore

2011 - OL Nick McDonald

2010 - S Sergio Brown

2009 - CB Kyle Arrington

2009 - OL Ryan Wendell

2007 - OL Dan Connolly

2007 - FB Kyle Eckel

2006 - S Antwain Spann

2004 - LB Eric Alexander

2004 - G Billy Yates

2003 - OL Russ Hochstein

2002 - RT Brandon Gorin

2001 - LB Matt Chatham

2000 - FB Patrick Pass

Some really nice success stories in there. Also some bad memories brought up with names like Ferentz, Devey, Sergio Brown, Alexander. Kyle Arrington gets the rare distinction of matching both categories.

Stephen Neal was a huge success, though he was not ever on a NE practice squad. The Patriots re-signed Neal off the Eagles' practice squad on December 12, 2001, and he was inactive for the final three games of his 2001 rookie season, as well as the playoffs and Super Bowl XXXVI.

In 2002, Neal made the Patriots' 53-man roster out of training camp and never looked back.

So he doesn't fit the description exactly, but he certainly was a "find".

2019 - FB Jakob Johnson

2018 - C James Ferentz

2017 - C Ted Karras

2015 - DB Brandon King

2014 - RB Jonas Gray

2014 - OT Jordan Devey

2013 - DT Sealver Siliga

2013 - G Josh Kline

2013 - FB James Develin

2012 - WR Kamar Aiken

2011 - CB Sterling Moore

2011 - OL Nick McDonald

2010 - S Sergio Brown

2009 - CB Kyle Arrington

2009 - OL Ryan Wendell

2007 - OL Dan Connolly

2007 - FB Kyle Eckel

2006 - S Antwain Spann

2004 - LB Eric Alexander

2004 - G Billy Yates

2003 - OL Russ Hochstein

2002 - RT Brandon Gorin

2001 - LB Matt Chatham

2000 - FB Patrick Pass
Great job!

Stephen Neal was a huge success, though he was not ever on a NE practice squad. The Patriots re-signed Neal off the Eagles' practice squad on December 12, 2001, and he was inactive for the final three games of his 2001 rookie season, as well as the playoffs and Super Bowl XXXVI.

In 2002, Neal made the Patriots' 53-man roster out of training camp and never looked back.

So he doesn't fit the description exactly, but he certainly was a "find".

Yeah, I thought I had overlooked him. I just assumed that since he was a converted wrestler that he had spent some time on the Pats practice squad.

Some really nice success stories in there. Also some bad memories brought up with names like Ferentz, Devey, Sergio Brown, Alexander. Kyle Arrington gets the rare distinction of matching both categories.
Arrington has a somewhat interesting history. He came from a small FCS school (Hofstra) that would completely shut down their football program just one season later. He went undrafted but Philly was impressed enough by him that they gave him a $10,000 signing bonus - pretty high for a rookie UDFA. Arrington then signed with Tampa Bay, but was beaten out for a roster spot by EJ Biggers - whom the Pats signed in 2016, but was cut during training camp.

Eric Mangini attempted to sign Arrington to the Browns off the Pats practice squad, but Belichick denied him the opportunity by promoting Arrington to the 53 man roster. We can only speculate whether that was out of spite, or if BB thought that highly of Arrington.

If I recall correctly he had a decent season in 2014, but wow - he was just getting torched by the Seahawks in that Super Bowl. I was screaming at the TV to get Arrington out of there, not knowing or caring what the option was as a sub.

Arrington has a somewhat interesting history. He went undrafted but Philly was impressed enough by him that they gave him a $10,000 signing bonus - pretty high for a rookie UDFA. He then signed with Tampa Bay, but was beaten out for a roster spot by EJ Biggers - whom the Pats signed in 2016, but was cut during training camp.

Eric Mangini attempted to sign Arrington to the Browns off the Pats practice squad, but Belichick denied him the opportunity by promoting Arrington to the 53 man roster. We can only speculate whether that was out of spite, or if BB thought that highly of Arrington.

If I recall correctly he had a decent season in 2014, but wow - he was just getting torched by the Seahawks in that Super Bowl. I was screaming at the TV to get Arrington out of there, not knowing or caring what the option was as a sub.

Arrington was a minor "savior" of the defense in 2010, replacing a severely underperforming Darius Butler. A year later, he was maybe the worst CB I've seen on the Patriots in my life. Once the secondary got stacked in 2013/14 he became a very solid nickel though, and made a decent amount of money doing it. Definitely some ups and downs but for a UDFA, that career + at least one ring (I think just the one) has to be considered a success.

Arrington was a minor "savior" of the defense in 2010, replacing a severely underperforming Darius Butler. A year later, he was maybe the worst CB I've seen on the Patriots in my life. Once the secondary got stacked in 2013/14 he became a very solid nickel though, and made a decent amount of money doing it. Definitely some ups and downs but for a UDFA, that career + at least one ring (I think just the one) has to be considered a success.
Yeah, Arrington in his time with the Pats was often a liability on the outside - his leading the league in picks one year was a combination of luck and no fear of throwing his way - but he was also above average as a nickel or slot CB, in my opinion.

As you pointed out, definitely a much better career than probably 99% of UDFAs that have ever signed with an NFL team.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back