PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Few things - RE: Moderation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will once he retires. Thought that was going to be this offseason, but clearly that isn't the case so I'll leave things the way they are for now until it changes.
when he retires lol...he is a cyborg and no end in sight

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Troll doesn't mean someone with an uncommon or unpopular opinion. If you have an opinion that may be contrary to some or most, and you're presenting it in a thoughtful manner with supportive arguments, then I don't see what the problem is.

As a newcomer on this board, I can already tell that this argument is hard to avoid. It can come up while having a discussion on an unrelated specific topic. For example talking about how something on the roster was handled in the past, and if it worked from 2001-2019…that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work now because of a missing player. Then all of a sudden that spirals into a million different arguments. I’m guilty of that myself! (Sorry!) He’s an iconic player and it was an incredibly divisive break up. I don’t think it’ll ever not be talked about, but like somebody said before, possibly when they both retire would start the process

Troll doesn't mean someone with an uncommon or unpopular opinion. If you have an opinion that may be contrary to some or most, and you're presenting it in a thoughtful manner with supportive arguments, then I don't see what the problem is.
Repeating the same opinion over and over though, especially in multiple threads, can be and is also an issue. So it's also something to be mindful of. It's OK to feel a certain way and make an opinion, but seeing it appear repeatedly within various threads and sometimes where that's not the actual topic of discussion is another issue that has come up quite a bit in the last year.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the Brady forum (we're already at 60 pages btw...and TC hasn't even started)...it's the people on the Brady forum who routinely come to the main board to troll about Bill that's the issue.
I don't see anyone "trolling" about Bill.

Sure we criticize the head coach sometimes but what fanbase doesn't? Steelers fans make #FireTomlin trend on twitter all the time.

laugh-mock.gif

Repeating the same opinion over and over though, especially in multiple threads, can be and is also an issue. So it's also something to be mindful of. It's OK to feel a certain way and make an opinion, but seeing it appear repeatedly within various threads and sometimes where that's not the actual topic of discussion is another issue that has come up quite a bit in the last year.
I see your point. And I agree there are a lot of repetitive opinions presented on this forum (not just by me but I'm certainly doing that as well). I try not to repeat myself just for the sake of belaboring a point, although I can see how it may be perceived that way. I'm also not dropping in random inflammatory comments. That's where I start with judging the content of a post... does it appear to be genuine.

Staying precisely on topic in most threads can be difficult... it's just too easy to drift off into subtopics, etc. The biggest problem obviously is the Brady vs Belichick debates which are so polarizing because people can be so dug into their side (me included). I can understand where the frustration comes in for the group of people who try to play it down the middle and don't want to hear the same diverging arguments. I'll try to do my part to limit the extraneous arguments.

• ThankU!
Reactions: Ian
I see your point. And I agree there are a lot of repetitive opinions presented on this forum (not just by me but I'm certainly doing that as well). I try not to repeat myself just for the sake of belaboring a point, although I can see how it may be perceived that way. I'm also not dropping in random inflammatory comments. That's where I start with judging the content of a post... does it appear to be genuine.

Staying precisely on topic in most threads can be difficult... it's just too easy to drift off into subtopics, etc. The biggest problem obviously is the Brady vs Belichick debates which are so polarizing because people can be so dug into their side (me included). I can understand where the frustration comes in for the group of people who try to play it down the middle and don't want to hear the same diverging arguments. I'll try to do my part to limit the extraneous arguments.

For me, general rule of thumb is that anytime something gets positioned right out of the gate as a "this vs. that" it is a set up for a mediocre conversation at best. Taking sides at the beginning of something cuts off most of the curiosity and exploration, which is where the fun is.

You know, you've brought this same point up now in several threads, over and over again.

j/k - sorry, I love irony and can't help myself.

The problem comes when Team Brady folks come over to the main board to troll. People like crawhammer and SB1. That’s when I go to the Brady forum and troll them back. Then they complain and I get in trouble.
Right now, there is only one Tom Brady thread on the front page of the main forum.

Anyone wanna guess who it was that started it?? :D :D

did someone mention "thread derail"?

roger-goodell.gif

Sometimes, when you're enjoying a discussion in a thread, and you've almost forgotten some of the shenanigans that go on here, and a couple of lugnuts who woke up on the wrong side of the sofa barge in with their personal beefs, it feels an awful lot like a wrestler busting up a match with the metal folding chair.

Sure we criticize the head coach sometimes but what fanbase doesn't? Steelers fans make #FireTomlin trend on twitter all the time.
I dunno...

That line you dropped about the pats being "shady" because they haven't named out right coaching titles is straight up trolling.

You should read posts by Vector Prime, who said he is openly rooting against the Patriots coaching staff, which means he is rooting against the patriots. He also said that Ian should rename the board to bradyfans.com.

• Interesting
Reactions: sb1
Yeah, "troll" is a word that has lost all meaning because people tend to use it for anyone who disagrees with them. Trolls come with the purpose of getting a rise out of someone, by having an intentionally antagonistic take. There's a few here (some more subtle than others), but for the most part people here are just really insistent of their wrong opinions ;)

Which is something that this particular poster has the tendency to do over and over and over again

Does taking personal shots at users include DKF? Asking for a friend

Yeah, "troll" is a word that has lost all meaning because people tend to use it for anyone who disagrees with them. Trolls come with the purpose of getting a rise out of someone, by having an intentionally antagonistic take. There's a few here (some more subtle than others), but for the most part people here are just really insistent of their wrong opinions ;)

I just want to go on record here; I will defend to your death you're right to your wrong opinion.
(provided it isn't stated in a way that I find offensive or posted on a day ending 'y')

I just want to go on record here; I will defend to your death you're right to your wrong opinion.
(provided it isn't stated in a way that I find offensive or posted on a day ending 'y')
be careful...I'm sure Sicilian is quite capable of using the "mal orc", even across electronic firewalls... :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick