PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A big story no one is talking about (Future LT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The Patriots drafted Garcia in the 3rd round and traded up for him. I think that was with an eye towards 2018 as do most people but the injury he has will keep him out at least 6 weeks and maybe more. The fact they didn't put him on IR is telling. It tells me they really want to try to get some development time this year and they see it as a fairly urgent matter where just putting him on ice for a year to heal and starting again next year might be the norm in years past. This has put the Patriots in a tough situation.

At best he has missed a lot of developmental time and will be behind the ball. Maybe he gets healthy and maybe not. Even if he is ready to go after week 6 it makes you wonder how up to speed he can get by 2018. There has been whispers this is Solder's last year and usually I find whispers like those are pretty accurate and the Pats traded up to get Garcia to have that young option in place and give him a year to develop like they did Solder.

This is further complicated by next years draft. Assuming the Pats keep Brady they are in the situation of either having to franchise Jimmy (I don't think it is likely any deal can be worked out to keep him cheaper) or trade him. Considering the good young QBs in this draft with 4-5 cheap years and the price teams will need to pay for Jimmy I don't think a first round pick is an option. Maybe a 2nd. Assuming he walks the Pats are a near lock to go QB in this draft fairly high. I would assume in round 1 to take a shot on one of the young QBs. By the time their next pick comes around assuming Jimmy isn't traded for a very high 2nd round pick (which i doubt) the ready to go year 1 OTs will be off the table. They probably will be by pick 25 anyway but for sure now.

As far as free agent LT or even OTs next year there really isn't anyone that you would feel comfortable putting at that spot. Trading for a guy is an option but not likely. Teams don't tend to trade away good LTs. Joe Thomas would be a great option if the Browns would trade him away for a short term deal. I don't think they will. They want him as a life long Brown and other top LTs are much less likely to move.

Of course a few things could happen to make this a non-story.

Maybe the Pats let Brady walk/trade him and keep JG and can go OT first next year.
Maybe Garcia comes back after week 6 and is able to get completely up to speed and ready to protect Brady's blind side come week 1 2018.
Maybe the whispers on Solder are wrong or he can be enticed back for 1 more year.
Maybe the Pats can somehow swing a deal to get a good LT in here.

All of these are possible but I see each by itself as unlikely at this point. It just is a concerning future situation to me and is not be talked about enough as such.

Its not talked about because as you list there are many unknowns.

By the way Garcia going in NFI instead of IR isn't telling of anything. NFI is fit non football injury/illness which he has. Whether he is the future of the franchise or the 90th man he would go on NFI because of the circumstances.

Lots of unknowns but i wouldn't be too worried. They are obviously addressing the position as aggressive as they can. They brought 5 tackles this yr. Croston made it on the roster (he may not look as potential LT starter to most and was first groomed as G but he made a very talented and deep roster so he deserves some respect), situation w Garcia didn't go as planned but at best he misses six weeks of practice and it is still very open for next year, they are keeping Jelks around despite coming back from two torn ACLs so they must see something in him (one of the more talented players of his class before injuries) and they just brought Beavers (or so it seems).

Solder could come back but I agree it will not be easy to keep him and franchise Jimmy (presuming TB continues) which will be needed unless they are willing to just let him go. Still at the moment it looks like they will have some 40-50M to operate with (carryover, salary cap increase, credit etc.) and you saw what they did with similar kind of cap space this yr (before injuries took a toll on cap).

Re. draft - it looks conveniently very deep at the two positions. The QBs “projected“ to NE are most currently mid-rounders (Max Browne, Mike White, Keller Chryst..) so plenty of options everywhere.

Lets enjoy this team now and enjoy how they solve the LT, QB puzzle later..

This post is about 4-5 months too early... literally anything can happen until next FA..

Ironically, it was talked about a lot six months ago. Future LT was a high fan priority in the draft, and apparently the Patriots agreed given that they drafted two players (Garcia and McDermott) with obvious LT attributes. McDermott was a long shot and obviously didn't work out, and Garcia remains a complete unknown.

1b0.jpg

I don't know why but I have a feeling this Garcia pick will be something we won't get any return out of it and will move on before the 4 years that is the duration of the contract. I looks like this guy won't even hit the field.

I hope I am wrong.

I don't know.........the pats can do something insane like bring Solder back for a few more years

I'm not sure how you think it's not being talked about. We've been talking about it for a while. We got into it before the draft. We've gotten into it with him missing time in camp. There's only so much that can be covered when everything remains status quo.

They need a new LT1.

Ironically, it was talked about a lot six months ago. Future LT was a high fan priority in the draft, and apparently the Patriots agreed given that they drafted two players (Garcia and McDermott) with obvious LT attributes. McDermott was a long shot and obviously didn't work out, and Garcia remains a complete unknown.

Yes, a more accurate title would be, "a big story that pretty much everyone understands is big and isn't talked about now because there's not much that can be done about it until next April - presuming the additions of Garcia and Croston haven't already addressed it."

It's a bit unwieldy, though, so I'm open to suggestion. :cool:

I don't know why but I have a feeling this Garcia pick will be something we won't get any return out of it and will move on before the 4 years that is the duration of the contract. I looks like this guy won't even hit the field.

I hope I am wrong.

Way to assess his entire career after a couple of months.

Agreed.

I don't how much more we can discuss this issue.

We used 4 draft picks to get Garcia and take a flyer on McDermott. The teams continues to keep Fleming and Waddle. We have just added an OT to the PS.

BTW, I think the presumption is that Solder will be playing somewhere else in 2018.

I'm not sure how you think it's not being talked about. We've been talking about it for a while. We got into it before the draft. We've gotten into it with him missing time in camp. There's only so much that can be covered when everything remains status quo.

They need a new LT1.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that there may a free agent or a player available for trade that is better than Fleming and Waddle. If that doesn't happen, we can draft an LT. And, of course, Garcia could be 100% by March, in which case there is really no issue.

As far as free agent LT or even OTs next year there really isn't anyone that you would feel comfortable putting at that spot.

Red shirt year for Garcia he's not needed obviously Scar thinks Flemming and Waddle are better than Garcia right now. In the case of Garcia that's not saying a whole lot.

Correction from Miguel . acc. to this Garcia cannot return this yr..
(read the small print)

I don't know much about him aside from his draft status, but I was wondering if the Pats would grab LT Greg Robinson (Rams #2 overall in 2014) in hopes Scar could work his magic and have him ready for 2018 in case Solder leaves. Lions traded a 6th for him in June.

I thought we've been talking about this ad naseum. This has been analysed and discussed to death already.

I just wonder what is going on with Garcia. Has anything ever been reported?

One day he disappeared.

The mainstream media is not talking about the future at LT because it has nothing to do with any current or near-future events. With the opening game of the NFL season just a couple days away, that makes sense. Time for that type of conversation will commence with the last game of the 2017-18 season, and last until the draft (and perhaps through the entire off season).

The topic actually was discussed extensively very recently, from mid-August until just a few days ago.

Nate Solder and our LT conundrum

The OP makes some excellent points in regards to the left tackle position in 2018 and beyond. The one point I would strongly disagree with is the notion that the Patriots will draft a quarterback in the first round next April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back