PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A 2 point conversion strategy for AFC Championship game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What if the Patriots went for two points after EVERY TOUCHDOWN today?

Here are some reasons for the strategy:

Two-Point Study

1) There will likely be a lot of TD scoring. Statistically teams average more points going for two than one. With the possibility of 5-8 TDs by the Patriots there is a better chance the law of averages kick in.

2) According to the link above running the ball for two is successful 63.6% of the time, while passing 44.9%. KC is 30th against the run and we can load up Gronk, Allen, and Develin, while still using play action.

3) The Pats would be prepared with enough 2 point plays, but KC will not be. This will force Andy Reid to think rather than go by a planned script

4) This could rattle a young QB.

5) You are taking control of the game on the road in a place that's been hard to win.

If the Pats are running at will early in the game, I think this is an excellent idea. I don't believe you would lose the game because of this strategy and there is a lot of upside.

Any thoughts?

Downside to any strategy is that it fails.

But do the advantages outweigh the risk?
1 point should be automatic for NFL kickers so 2 points seems an unnecessary risk if not necessary.

Downside is that you score 6 and they score 7.
If the Pats and Chiefs score 4 TDs each and the Pats only convert the 2 point play on 2 of those, it would make no difference. It's still 28 points each - assuming the Chiefs play it safe on their extra points and just kick for 1.

I would certainly copy the Chargers 2 point pass play to Williams. Guy was WIDE open.

Weather conditions could make kicks harder than a 2 yard play. It’s actually not that bad in KC...heck of a lot warmer than Columbus, Ohio right now.:(

I would certainly copy the Chargers 2 point pass play to Williams. Guy was WIDE open.
yes, lets run the "have the defense mess up their switch and blow the coverage" play. it's quite reliable

Take the 1 point.

If you miss then go for 2 next score. BB usually always takes the points even trailing. Take the XP and take the FGs.

The problem with this strategy to me, is it always seems people are basing it off of the success rates from a REALLY large sample size, and applying it to a game situation that's going to produce a very limited number of opportunities. What would seem to work on average over the course of an entire season, when attempted over 4 or 5 chances in a game creates a huge variance.

Plus, if you miss the first one, now you've put yourself in a position where you almost HAVE to go for 2 each time, to make up for it, until you're even again. It's like a gambler's fallacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News