PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Mac Jones Bombshell: Joel Klatt says Mac Jones was the original choice for SF.

Joe Burrow, Deshaun Watson... all these guys played with high NFL draft pick receiving weapons. Despite that it hasn’t ruined them. All a player can do is play the cards he’s dealt, all Jones did was put up better numbers than Tua with the same weapons.

QB is a cerebral position that relies more on motor skill than athleticism, a guy with good decision making and a beer gut could do the job.
Exactly. It's not like Jones threw jump balls 90% of the time and went 30-31 every game with 28 of the throws being 3 yd outs w/ the receiver having 6 yards of separation.

He still needed to execute the play
He still needed to manage the game
He still needed to get the ball out on time
he still needed to make all the throws.
He still needed to be accurate
He still needed to read the D and manipulate the coverages

Jones did all of those things for a coach who runs an NFL offense.

Back in the 80s and 90s Miami had all these QBs after Kelly, Bernie and Vinny who put up crazy stats, Walsh, Erickson, Torretta, Dorsey and all did zip in the pros.

Jones is not them.

Last edited:
Exactly. It's not like Jones threw jump balls 90% of the time and wen't 30-31 every game with 28 of the throws being 3 yd outs w/ the receiver having 6 yards of separation.

He still needed to execute the play
He still needed to manage the game
He still needed to get the ball out on time
he still needed to make all the throws.
He still needed to be accurate
He still needed to read the D and manipulate the coverages

Jones did all of those things for a coach who runs an NFL offense.

Back in the 80s and 90s Miami had all these QBs after Kelly, Bernie and Vinny who put up crazy stats, Walsh, Erickson, Torretta, Dorsey and all did zip in the pros.

Jones is not them.
Florida and Ohio QB’s never seem to work out, but apparently people were desperate to get Fields or Trask? I’d rather have the guy a good evaluating team like San Francisco was waffling on taking at 3.

Negative Nancy’s are looking for something/anything to hate here. There is zero guarantee with rookies, the draft is a crapshoot. I’ll take the guy who played on the biggest stage and played his best, rising to meet the challenge.

Joe Burrow, Deshaun Watson... all these guys played with high NFL draft pick receiving weapons. Despite that it hasn’t ruined them. All a player can do is play the cards he’s dealt, all Jones did was put up better numbers than Tua with the same weapons.

QB is a cerebral position that relies more on motor skill than athleticism, a guy with good decision making and a beer gut could do the job.
I am not sure we are disagreeing here, but to clarify.

Trey Lance wasn't deemed good enough to play at the top college level coming out of high school. He excelled in college at a much lower level of play. That raises issue on his stats. He played in 2019, then only one game in 2020, and in that game he looked ok. So in addition to playing at a much lower level in 2019, for all intents, he didn't play in 2020.

Jones is the opposite, he was picked to be the qb of the top college team in the country. He came in and played in 2019 a few games, then played all of 2020, after sitting on the bench his first 2 years. While his team was completely stacked, he played against the top players in college, the db's and safeties and d linemen whose names were called last week.

I was calling for the Patriots to draft Jones from the beginning and was arguing with BGC over the merits of Lance vs Jones, it turned out the Patriots ended up having Jones fall into their laps, so I guess if Jones ends up sucking it is all on me!

Lance sucks because he played lesser competition, Mac Jones sucks because he played with good teammates... against great competition. Why do we bother drafting QB’s at all?
That got me to wondering... have there been any undrafted QBs who ended up playing in the NYFL?

It's bad enough for the Niners to give up three 1s and a 3rd for Lance but they were complete fools to do it when they didn't know who they were giving it up for.

I was calling for the Patriots to draft Jones from the beginning and was arguing with BGC over the merits of Lance vs Jones, it turned out the Patriots ended up having Jones fall into their laps, so I guess if Jones ends up sucking it is all on me!
There are many folks who believe that running QBs is the thing of the future in the NYFL, even though it isn't and never has been.

When Cant Newton came into the NYFL I remember reading the opinion of a LB with the Giants (I don't remember his name) who was critical of him and thought that QBs had to be able to be a pocket passer to be successful. That hasn't changed.

A random QB thought this past draft. A lot of talk about Lawrence being a general prospect.... I don't see it that way. He's a very good prospect, but part of the hype imo has to do with the lack of high quality prospects since Luck. Any number of the other 4 top QBs coming put this year would have been 4 of the top 10 prospects since that time.

Only Burrow and Mahomes have been better prospects for sure than at least one of them. That is how unpolished the QB prospects have been since then.

I am not sure we are disagreeing here, but to clarify.

Trey Lance wasn't deemed good enough to play at the top college level coming out of high school. He excelled in college at a much lower level of play. That raises issue on his stats. He played in 2019, then only one game in 2020, and in that game he looked ok. So in addition to playing at a much lower level in 2019, for all intents, he didn't play in 2020.

Jones is the opposite, he was picked to be the qb of the top college team in the country. He came in and played in 2019 a few games, then played all of 2020, after sitting on the bench his first 2 years. While his team was completely stacked, he played against the top players in college, the db's and safeties and d linemen whose names were called last week.
Lance had offers to play at the top level of college coming out of high school, but teams wanted to convert him to WR or another position. His father having played the game was aware that if he was good enough NFL teams would find him and they did, he just got taken third overall... ahead of Jones. The field is the same size, the ball is still oblong, he played in a pro system and excelled. Not sure what else he has to do. If he plays well, San Francisco look like geniuses for making the trade, if he fails they look like dogs. The draft is a crapshoot, you've got to take your shot and have plan B ready in case it doesn't work.

That got me to wondering... have there been any undrafted QBs who ended up playing in the NYFL?
Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Mike Tomczak, Erik Kramer, Jon Kitna, Jake Delhomme, Jeff Garcia, Dave Krieg, Warren Moon

Also the NFL draft used to last substantially longer than 7 rounds, in some cases more than double that... there were many great QB's who would have gone undrafted today.

Kurt Warner springs to mind but I am sure there have been others.
I was just thinking about Kurt Warner the other day. Way back when a buddy of mine who was a BU grad dragged me to a division 1a playoff game at Nickerson Field against Northern Iowa. BU was led by a Doug Flutie like QB whose name I forget. Northern Iowa was led by some QB named Kurt Warner.

BTW- it was a great back and forth game which was won by BU in overtime, which sent the 25,000 odd spectators off to the myriad bars on Commonwealth Ave very happy,

Hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet he is already "less injury prone than Jimmy G"
I love this place

Well there's no way he can be more injury prone at this point.

There are many folks who believe that running QBs is the thing of the future in the NYFL, even though it isn't and never has been.

When Cant Newton came into the NYFL I remember reading the opinion of a LB with the Giants (I don't remember his name) who was critical of him and thought that QBs had to be able to be a pocket passer to be successful. That hasn't changed.

They are flashy and can make amazing plays sometimes. But their shelf life is very limited. I mean cam newton is 32 and basically washed up. Once their athleticism slips abit that's it. Meanwhile brady is 43, Brees was 42 and manning was pretty old when he retired

Lamar jackson is taking so many big hits will he keep this up for 5 years or more?

Imagine being Alex Smith and have a career as the bridge QB first for Kaepernick and then Mahomes.

It would've been better for all concerned if Rodgers had been taken #1 overall and Smith had fallen to the Packers...

They are flashy and can make amazing plays sometimes. But their shelf life is very limited. I mean cam newton is 32 and basically washed up. Once their athleticism slips abit that's it. Meanwhile brady is 43, Brees was 42 and manning was pretty old when he retired

Lamar jackson is taking so many big hits will he keep this up for 5 years or more?
It's isn't just the pounding that they take. There's also the tendency of running QBs to rely on their running at the expense of their passing. Cam might be an example of that, as he never really developed as a passer.

I look at them the same way as I do passing QBs with great arms who tend to force the ball into places they shouldn't. They're also exciting to watch but haven't been as successful as passers who learned to see the field and make the proper throw. We were lucky enough to have the GOAT at it for 20 years.

As for Mac Jones, I haven't a clue what he'll be as an NYFL QB and never watched him play, but I'm excited about the thought that he could be the real deal. The Pats were desperate for a QB and he has potential. Plus, just the possibility that Goody and the 32's heads would explode at another successful Pats run is enough to get excited about.

nobody ever got pounded worse than Jim Plunkett did with the Pats......later on, he won a couple of super bowls simply by not screwing the pooch

if Cam can avoid screwing the pooch, we have a pretty good team and can cause some damage

nobody ever got pounded worse than Jim Plunkett did with the Pats......later on, he won a couple of super bowls simply by not screwing the pooch

if Cam can avoid screwing the pooch, we have a pretty good team and can cause some damage

true, but can newton complete passes or is he going to continue to throw balls into the ground?

true, but can newton complete passes or is he going to continue to throw balls into the ground?

Depending on Jones' progress throughout TC, Bill might have a shorter leash with Cant this season than he did with him last season, especially at the prices his boss paid for all of these new acquisitions...I ass-ume the Early Bird doesn't want to see them all go to waste, especially by the time TB comes to town...

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back