PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

48 of 114 Posters picked the Bengals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
It was perfectly reasonable for those who picked the Bengals. When I did my season predictions I had the Bengals game as a loss. I picked the Patiots to finish 12-4. That's four losses.

However, when it comes to the contest I will never pick against the Patriots unless I think it totally hopeless. I don't care where I stand in the contest. It's too close to the game and I, being a Homer, would not pick againts my team.

But, I have no problem with those who do care about standing in the contest, and will pick againts the Patriots, scum that they are.:rofl:

12-4? Four losses? Even I thought it would be a 13-3 campaign.

You sir are NOT the Homer I took you to be! Stand down and yield your position as Mayor of Homerville.

Miguel said:
You called everyone who picked the Bengals out as if the only reason that they picked the Bengals was that they lost faith in the Patriots.

Your words - "That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys."

The 48 posters are in a contest. If they felt that picking the Bengals would give them the best chance to win the contest, how is that a reflection on their faith in the Patriots?? Let's say that some of the 48 had picked the Broncos last week. Why would it be unreasonable for them to have picked against the Patriots for the 2nd straight week?? You have no idea who of the 48 chose the Bengals because they feel that choice was their best chance to gain bragging rights and yet you lumped them all in the same category. That is my problem with your post. Is the contest "Predict how much the Patriots will win every game by??"No, it is not.

You did not call some of the 48 out. You called all of them out with your title. As if all of them had the same motivation for their selection.

You make a fair point. I let my feelings about some (emphasis on "some") of the stuff I read out here last week get the better of me.

Miguel said:

The 48 posters are in a contest. If they felt that picking the Bengals would give them the best chance to win the contest, how is that a reflection on their faith in the Patriots?? Let's say that some of the 48 had picked the Broncos last week. Why would it be unreasonable for them to have picked against the Patriots for the 2nd straight week?? You have no idea who of the 48 chose the Bengals because they feel that choice was their best chance to gain bragging rights and yet you lumped them all in the same category. That is my problem with your post. Is the contest "Predict how much the Patriots will win every game by??"No, it is not.

Yeah but contest or not, almost 40+ percent of PATs seemed to be
convinced that Patriots would lose to the Bengals. :(
That's the point.
Was there justification for that point of view? Maybe.

Certainly the point of view that PATs would beat the Bengals was not being
talked about hardly at all. In fact all week long the negative posts here were
just unbelieveable. AJ even started at thread about how disgusting it was.

If there was a lot more talk about the PATs potential ..
- what they really did show and
- how they have beaten high powered offenses in the past and
- how they play after a humilating loss and
- how their run stopping has been good this year and
- how Gabriel and Tom looked like they were getting something together in the Denver game and
- how PAts running game was real good except for the Denver game .......
and so many other positive things ....
then I doubt there would have been so many thinking Bengals would win.

Well, as I've said before, it's Ok to be wrong -- and its ok for some guys
to hand out a little ribbing .... after all they did pick the PATs:rocker:
Nobody is saying these Bengal pickers are not die hard PATs fans ...
they were just wrong ... this week. :confused: ... and I'm sure they are glad of it.

of course we picked the Bengals, only the 'homer' in us would allow ourselves to pick the Pats.

remember the post during the first week of season that laughed at Bills fans that actually thought they had a shot at beating us in the opener? remember how we laughed and laughed in their faces, and then they almost beat us?

Well, I'm sure Bengals fans were laughing at anyone who thought the Pats were going to win last week.

The Bengals had everything going for them, were undefeated, and just beat the defending champs. The Bengals earned the right to be the favorites last weekend.

I Picked The Bengals Even Before I Knew Eugene Wilson And Ellis Hobbs Were Going To Be Out!

If I Had Known That, I Would Have Picked The Bengals By Even More!!!!

PatsFanSince74 said:
OK, if we're betting our hard-earned money then there might be occasions when we have a good reason to pick against the Pats (but then who out here would bet against the Pats? I know I don't.

But as a fan, I BELIEVE and WILL that WE WIN at all times (unless we have a really lousy team a la the days of Rod Rust et al).

What do I mean by this? Here's an example: We were 14 point dogs, but I picked the Pats not only to beat the Rams in SB XXXVIII, but to freakin blow them out, and if Tebucky Jones' TD wasn't called back on a Hold, we would have blown them out...

which just goes to show that you pick with your heart over reason. not that there is anything wrong with that

PatsFanSince74 said:
That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys.

That is completely idiotic statement by you. You have zero clue why any individual picked the Bengals, and you are belittling those who did by ascribing their pick to inconsequential and silly reasons, pretending there were no valid reasons to pick against the Patriots.

I can easily understand and respect those who pick the Pats every week, for a lot of people picking against the Pats is no fun and you feel bad if they do end up winning. At the same time, the Predict the Score thread is a CONTEST. I specifically say in the first post that predictions in other threads don't count -- that's because I fully expect people to make PtS predictions that aren't quite the same as their true feelings. The competitive nature of many Pats fans here means they will try to do their best to win the contest; if you honestly believe the Pats are a 16-0 team then you should never pick against them, otherwise what's the problem?

Noone should ever feel bad or be made to feel bad because they picked against the Pats in the Predict the Score contest. End of story.:mad:

I picked Patriots to lose 35-10, It turns out I was right on with the point spread only that is the Patriots winning by 25 points.

As for this week, it is Miami and Brady has trouble throwing against the Dolphins. So it will probably be another difficult low, scoring game in Foxboro.

Give me a board where there is a variety of opinions any day of the week over a board where all the posters vie to win the "diehard" trophy.

IMHO, my time reading the opinions on the former is better spent than the latter.

PatsFanSince74 said:
You make a fair point. I let my feelings about some (emphasis on "some") of the stuff I read out here last week get the better of me.

Fair enough.

Seymour93 said:
We had good reason to pick the Bengals. They we're 3-0 and looking unbeatable, while the Pats had a sluggish start to the season.
Yeah, that and you have no faith in your team.

You bandwagonners will all be jumping back on the Pats bandwagon now.

Of course, if the Pats lose to Miami, you'll be jumping off again.

Don't break and ankle with all that jumping on and off :D

alamo said:
That is completely idiotic statement by you.

blah blah blah

End of story.:mad:
So that's how it works? Once you finish your rant, no one has any say. "End of story"?

Okay.

We defer to your complete knowledge and all-seeing vision, and ability to know all there is to know. You did pick the Pats to win, right?

Face, the guys who picked against the Pats were influenced by the media hype. They made thier decision based on what they saw, and what they saw was everyone yapping about how good the Bengals were and how bad the Pats were.

You guys followed the crowd and were wrong. Some guys have the balls to admit it. Some cry like little babies and say they were misunderstood.

wah wah wah.

Hurry now, and jump on the bandwagon.

JR4 said:
Nobody is saying these Bengal pickers are not die hard PATs fans

The original post said "That means that 42% of us gave in to all the negative vibes, rumours and "body language" talk of last week and lost faith in our guys." The original post is not ribbing. It is "calling out". That's a major difference.

My point has been that I do not know how anyone can tell that another person lost faith in the Patriots by simply posting a prediction like
Cincy 35
NE 31

Why should a person who made such prediction be "called out" for that??As far as I can tell, it is not a requirement in the contest to provide a rationale for a prediction.

brady2brown said:
You guys followed the crowd and were wrong. Some guys have the balls to admit it. Some cry like little babies and say they were misunderstood.

wah wah wah.
And some make childish posts if someone disagrees with them.

PATSNUTme said:
However, when it comes to the contest I will never pick against the Patriots unless I think it totally hopeless. I don't care where I stand in the contest. It's too close to the game and I, being a Homer, would not pick againts my team.

Which is one of the reasons that I decided not to play this year, and for that matter why I don't play fantasy football. When I watch a Patriots game, the only thing I want to root for is the best possible performance from my team, not point spreads or some opposing RB's net yardage.

Miguel said:
.......The original post is not ribbing. It is "calling out". That's a major difference.

Well maybe. I guess it's how you interpret the post. I do not believe the
original poster intended to imply the Bengal pickers were not true PATs fans.
Maybe it's sensitivity on one hand and a poorly worded post on the other.:confused:

But if anyone picks against the PATs again ..... your an outlander!:bricks:

before I get clobbered ..... Just kidding .... :D :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes