SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

43 Drop backs 3 pressures

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by stcjones, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sicilian

Sicilian Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +10,659
    The gameplan was clearly to rush a minimum of players and force Peyton to maintain consistent drives to score. We held up alright with Talib in there, things degraded when he was taken out. But this was an all time great offense, with ALL of its weapons healthy, playing at home in conditions so perfect they should be forecasted by saying "A Manning is coming this Sunday". Anyone who expected much less than 26 points allowed was rockin' the ganja.

Where they failed was in producing turnovers to spark an offense that, in turn, did them NO favors by failing to sustain drives or score points to put pressure on Denver's O.

2. primetime

primetime PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,118
    Before this season, he had 9 catches in 5 career playoff games. 6 of those catches came when the Patriots were blown out by the Ravens in 09-10.

3. LasVegasPatsFan

LasVegasPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +3
    Im not referring to just catches..but yes he seemed to be the only one who showed up in that Ravens loss. He played DB againts the Ravens in 2011. Anytime he has played whether it be playoffs or regular season he always gave it all.

4. Boomer B

Boomer B Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3,114
    Pats should have taken a page from the Seahawks playbook. Corners hit, hold, bump right at the line of scrimmage. Don't let those receivers get off the line and throw off the timing for Manning. Send pressure up the middle. We'd get a few flags for sure, but we also may have got some turnovers or some stops.

The gameplan we had was horrible. It was Chinese water torture. A cruel slow death. Not only couldn't we get a stop but their drives were long and took up a lot of the clock. If Manning can sit back there for 5 seconds he will kill any team.

5. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,641
    Hopefully Buchanan spends the offseason to bulk up on his 6'5 frame like Jones did last offseason. We need a 3 man DE rotation so Jones/Ninko don't run out of gas.

Quinn and Jordan made the leaps to All Pro caliber players from year 2 to year 3. If Jones can do the same, that will be huge for the D.

I may be overly optimistic on the potential trio of Jones, Ninko, and Buchanan, but I'd rather not spend a top 100 pick/FA $$$ on a DE considering our needs elsewhere.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +25,507
    I counted 4 most of the time and there were 6 every once in a while.

7. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,975
    cant argue with anything you said and to further highlight the point we were actually doing pretty well Vs Peyton until Talib got hurt. Demarius had barely done anything then with in a series or two after the injury had like 100 yards.

The defensive game plan was pretty clear and as you said the pressure was all on the secondary to get it done and when Talib it went down it all fell apart. the defense still fought and tried to give the O a chance but neither was really up for the task.

Its amazingly frustrating that despite all the injuries we dealt with this year had we just not lost Talib in one of the last two AFC title games we likely make one of those SBs.

8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN PatsFans.com #1 Arguer PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57,223
    Buchanan has a world of potential. He does need to bulk up so he can be trusted on run downs. He also has to know when he can and when he can't rush far upfield. I thought this game would have been a good one to give him some more reps since Manning is about as mobile as some sap running down an oak tree, but I guess Belichick disagreed.

9. stelfans

stelfans Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +275
    Anyone who tought Jones, Siliga, Ninko and Chandler would hold up in the playoffs after playing almist every defensive snap of the regular season is delusional.

Injuries are not the only excuse.
    I know is easy to forget about him but Bequette is wasting a precious roster spot.

10. primetime

primetime PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,118
    This requires the right kind of personnel. The Seahawks have big, physical corners. Talib was the only Patriot corner big enough to go toe-to-toe with Thomas, and when he got hurt they could get Thomas into space where he's basically unstoppable.

And, on that holding call that Decker drew on the Broncos first touchdown drive, they did bump him and played him perfectly legally, holding within 5 yards to great effect, and still got called on it. That was a killer penalty, and a terrible one.

11. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,057
    Chandler Jones is extraordinary, and better this year than last year.

The Patriots were in Luck's grill all game long in the divisional round, and extra attention to Chandler Jones freed up guys like Collins who too advantage of open lanes.

The Patriots rushed three guys all game against Denver. What do you expect? Jones was double-teamed on virtually every down. As the game wore on and the Broncos ground out 7+-minute drives, I was amazed the Patriots didn't do more blitzing to at least change up the look at the line.

I'm sure they saw so much tape of Manning burning blitzes for TDs that they decsided to lay back, but it backfired.

12. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,610
    Jones and Ninkovich played too many snaps during the regular season (98.1% and 95.6%, respectively). It helped with all the instability at the DT position, but ultimately they wore down. Chris Jones probably played too many snaps, too - he was explosive when he first came on, but after playing an enormous number of snaps once Wilfork and Kelly went on IR he slowed down quite a bit.

You need to have waves to guys you can rotate in to keep people fresh - "pass rush by committee".

13. nekromantique

nekromantique On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +15
    He was on top of Luck almost every pass. Did he get the sack? No, but he was consistently beating his man.

I saw him doubled a lot against the broncos, and tripled occasionally.

Though he didn't get too much done when singled either, but the broncos line was the best or one of the best pass blocking lines all year.

14. Brady6

Brady6 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,003

Chandler Jones had a great regular season, his playoff performance was not very good but I think you raise a terrific point with how many snaps him and Nink played this season wearing them down. I would also say that Chris Jones was a victim of to many snaps in the early and middle parts of the season too. Also they used Jones a lot inside this season which is likely even more tolling on the body.

It's interesting how things that go unnoticed or aren't consider major concerns early on comeback around to hurt you when it matters most; the failure by Bequette to even get on the field this season coupled with the failure by Cunningham, Francis, Benard and Armstead to make the 53 man roster either due to injury or just their being cut ended up coming back to hurt us through our starters being worn down in the playoffs.

15. Brady6

Brady6 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,003

I'm not downing the guy at all he is probably the best 4-3 DE in the NFL in terms of being complete, but he wasn't effective in the playoffs, he had 2 total hurries against the Colts and none against the Broncos.

16. Brady6

Brady6 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,003

See post #34; I completely agree.

17. condon84

condon84 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2,644
    Are we really blaming the fact that Jones and Nink got owned by the Broncos OL on fatigue?

18. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +5,610
    Not entirely. But I think they wore down over the course of a long season, and that was a factor. I don't think it's any coincidence that Jones has started like gangbusters both of his first 2 seasons and then tailed off considerably.

Jamie Collins had fresh legs. So did Sylvester Williams, for that matter, who made a huge impact for the Broncos next to Terrence Knighton. That helped each of them.

19. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,729
    Yep. Let's discount the fact that Jones was double-teamed all year and triple teamed many times and bash on him because of it. Let's bash on Jones because the interior reserve D-linemen weren't ALL-PRO Caliber like Wilfork and so that allowed teams to double and triple Jones.

BTW - 6.5 sacks in 13 games (1 sack per 2 games) is NOT statisically the same as 11.5 in 16 games (1 sack per 1.39 games). If you don't think Chandler Jones improved, the issue is with your understanding of what improvement is.

BTW, most pass rushers are "inconsistent". Even Robert Mathis had 4 games where he didn't get sacks.. Yet he had 19.5 on the season.

20. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +5,610
    I think Jones is a Pro Bowl caliber player and one of the most complete defensive ends in the league. I love the guy. He is solid setting the edge and stopping the run and he has great versatility - 4-3 RDE, 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 interior sub rusher. He gives great effort, and he gets double teamed and held a lot. My only critique is that I think his explosiveness fell off both of the last 2 seasons. The foot injury may have been a factor last year, but this year he was healthy, and I thought that while he continued to give great effort, he wasn't as effective as earlier in the season. I attribute part of that to the enormous snap count he played, the most of any defensive end in the NFL. Obviously, losing Wilfork and Kelly hurt, but by the end of the season Jones and Siliga were playing at a reasonably consistent level, so I'm not sure that explains it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.