PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

4 receivers floating around

Status
Not open for further replies.

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Right now, I see 4 receivers available (maybe?) who bring the one skill set missing in New England - unless Dobson were to make a huge leap.

Desean Jackson
Kenny Britt
Sydney Rice
Santonio Holmes

The Jackson rumors just don't seem to work for me, unless he's actually willing to take a restructure/pay cut and the Pats could trade off another piece - DA - to lower the WR cost. Don't see it, don't think I want it.

Britt would probably be the cheapest, but man, he sounds like bad news.

Rice will probably be expensive, despite coming off an injury. Several teams are chasing him, including the Jets (money) and 49'ers (cache).

So what's the deal with Holmes? He seems to have just disappeared from radar. Jets dumped him to save 8.5, but there hasn't been much interest reported at all. I hated his little first down dance and point, but then, he was a Jet, so I really didn't like anything about any of them.

But the guy can play.

We could stand pat as we are and be okay. One of these 4 could add a dimension though (I'd add in Justin Blackmon, but I've heard no rumors that he's being shopped).

Which (or none) would you prefer?

I prefer Dobson to all except Desean

4 receivers floating around ..... can keep floating around for all I care.

What is the "one skill set missing" and why can't LaFell fill it?

Edelman + Amendola + Dobson + LaFell + Boyce/Thompkins = the offense is better than last year's already.

The defense is already way better.

Britt is the only guy I would even consider because he's young and would be cheap but he has a lot of question marks. There would be absolutely no guarantee he'd make the roster so he'd have to work his ass off not to mention he has a lot of growing up to do too.

Right now, I see 4 receivers available (maybe?) who bring the one skill set missing in New England - unless Dobson were to make a huge leap.

Desean Jackson
Kenny Britt
Sydney Rice
Santonio Holmes

The Jackson rumors just don't seem to work for me, unless he's actually willing to take a restructure/pay cut and the Pats could trade off another piece - DA - to lower the WR cost. Don't see it, don't think I want it.

Britt would probably be the cheapest, but man, he sounds like bad news.

Rice will probably be expensive, despite coming off an injury. Several teams are chasing him, including the Jets (money) and 49'ers (cache).

So what's the deal with Holmes? He seems to have just disappeared from radar. Jets dumped him to save 8.5, but there hasn't been much interest reported at all. I hated his little first down dance and point, but then, he was a Jet, so I really didn't like anything about any of them.

But the guy can play.

We could stand pat as we are and be okay. One of these 4 could add a dimension though (I'd add in Justin Blackmon, but I've heard no rumors that he's being shopped).

Which (or none) would you prefer?

Jackson is an exceptional talent but every time I think of him, I have this awful premonition. There are 15 seconds left in the Super Bowl and Jackson catches a pass from Brady at the 15 yard line, he is completely uncovered runs 14 more yards and begins his touchdown pass and the other team tackles him at the 1 yard line as the clock runs out.

DeSean is too expensive, no
Britt is intriguing but maybe too much baggage
Rice is too injured for my liking
Holmes......no just no

I think what we miss is the WR the other team has to game plan especially for. Last year Edelman was the only consistent threat we had but he lacked that vertical game and teams would just clog the middle to neutralize him. Dobson and Thompkins could be on fire one game and disappear the next 2. Basically the good defenses knew to put heavy traffic in the middle and dared Brady to go over the top, outside the hashes or deeper than 20yards and would keep it under control with man-to-man coverage. If it wasn't for the run-game then yikes

This all changed though when Gronk finally got healthy and Brady could exploit the seem- routes and deep-posts but who knows how many games Gronk will play.....but still we lacked red-zone presence and the ability to spread 'em vertically as aposed to horizontally.

Maybe LaFell could be that guy, I like him, but by the D-Jax stories I don't think BB is done and wants to really boost that group big time......I think TE and WR are gonna be a draft focus maybe even round 1

I'm Cool with Jackson or Britt if it can be worked out but if I had to choose from I'd go Jackson. Just have to let'm buy into "Patriot Way" he has too much talent and can score many ways.

The only FA WRs I am interested in right now is Miles Austin. He is like Britt but less injury prone, 1 year away from his last good season & not a locker room cancer.

At this point the FA WRs left underwhelm me. If we sign a pass catcher besides Austin it may as well be a TE.

For that position I like a few guys on low vet prove it deals (while still drafting a TE).

Gonzalez - obviously... but he would be a mid season acquisition if at all.
Finley - Looked okay last season till his injury. 1 yr prove it deal
Keller - 1 yr prove it deal
Owen - I will add him here just cause others like him but I am not a big fan.

I have a thought why don't we simply ask the rules committee to change the game so EVERYONE on the field is an eligible receiver. THAT way we can talk about WR's ALL the time.

But really there are about 25 more WR's still in FA. Don't they all deserve their own threads? :rolleyes: I mean ultimately isn't that the purpose of this site, to be able to talk about WR's, and WR's only.:rolleyes: Maybe Ian can create a separate WR's board, where only WR's talk is allowed. That would allow the rest of us to talk about things that would actually be meaningful to the improvement of the team :rolleyes:

And they deleted all my threads, yet this one survives. :eek: ;)

I have a thought why don't we simply ask the rules committee to change the game so EVERYONE on the field is an eligible receiver. THAT way we can talk about WR's ALL the time.

But really there are about 25 more WR's still in FA. Don't they all deserve their own threads? :rolleyes: I mean ultimately isn't that the purpose of this site, to be able to talk about WR's, and WR's only.:rolleyes: Maybe Ian can create a separate WR's board, where only WR's talk is allowed. That would allow the rest of us to talk about things that would actually be meaningful to the improvement of the team :rolleyes:

Kenny Britt was in for a look. there are rumors floating about regarding Jackson and the Pats. Sydney Rice might be the best FA still out there. Holmes seems to be the forgotten guy.

Your threads got deleted because you spammed the board.

You don't have to click on these threads....

Like I've been saying for a few days. Britt is a Patriot. But the Wilfork thing is priority, once that is done then he'll be officially signed.

Like I've been saying for a few days. Britt is a Patriot. But the Wilfork thing is priority, once that is done then he'll be officially signed.
Hunch or do you have a source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing