44 - Sean Smith, CB/S
48 - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT
50 - Clint Sintim, LB
51 - Patrick Chung, S
52 - Mike Wallace, WR
55 - Connor Barwin, DE/OLB
56 - Pat White, QB/WR
64 - Eric Wood, OG/C

It's a bit of a weird draft to me. 3 days ago Rang put out a 1 round mock in which he had Connor Barwin going to NE at #23. Now he has Barwin dropping 32 spots to #55 in 3 days and being passed up 3 times by the Pats. That's kind of perplexing. I wonder if he's heard anything specific?

I'm not a fan of English at 23. Rang's comment is "English is quietly rising as the draft approaches"; if he is rising, it's certainly been quiet, because all signs suggest he has fallen out of first round play. Donald Brown at 34 is an interesting pick. I like James Casey a lot, but at 58 I would take Eric Wood without hesitating.

a lot of drafts have us taking Donald Brown...i just dont get it. Do we really need a RB. Maybe Faulk CANT play forever. We will see soon.

a lot of drafts have us taking Donald Brown...i just dont get it. Do we really need a RB. Maybe Faulk CANT play forever. We will see soon.

You think they take Brown to get rid of Faulk in that scenario Cousin?
DW Toys

This is the best mock I've seen thus far. The only thing that really stands out to me is Pettigrew at 31--he'll go much higher. It is weird how wildly different this mock is from Rang's last effort.

You think they take Brown to get rid of Faulk in that scenario Cousin?
DW Toys

I think Donald Brown is much more than just a 3rd round back - not to diminish Faulk in the least. But Brown could just as easily displace Maroney as Faulk.

Here's a nice take on Brown from Adam Schein at Fox Sports:

FOX Sports on MSN - Video - Video Central

This is the best mock I've seen thus far. The only thing that really stands out to me is Pettigrew at 31--he'll go much higher. It is weird how wildly different this mock is from Rang's last effort.

From a Pats point of view, it doesn't make sense. You don't pass over top end talent like Delmas, Smith, Barwin and Gilbert for a Donald Brown. He's good. But RB isn't a position of need. Not with 5 RBs on the roster already. Same goes for Casey. The need just isn't there.

Last edited:
Mayo, thanks for posting all these Mock drafts. I appreciate it alot.

From a Pats point of view, it doesn't make sense. You don't pass over top end talent like Delmas, Smith, Barwin and Gilbert for a Donald Brown. He's good. But RB isn't a position of need. Not with 5 RBs on the roster already. Same goes for Casey. The need just isn't there.

I would agree with that. I like Brown a lot, but I value all 4 players you listed ahead of him for the Pats on my current value board.

As I said in the OP, I'm particularly confused about Barwin at 55 to Atlanta. I have no problem with Rang pulling a Nawrocki and rating Barwin as a late 2nd rounder - I wouldn't agree, but I would understand his view. But on his April 10 mock Rang had Barwin going #23 to the Pats, and I don't think he had Larry English in the first round. I can understand changing players, but for someone to drop a whole round in 3 days I would think there was some specific issue that had come up. It's a little strange to me, and it makes me wonder a bit if he isn't trying to make some points with his mock and force fit things a bit.

Brown is a solid player AND a solid team mate. He has a lot of wear on the tires, but he makes plays and punishes defenses. I see no rerason he and Faulk can not co-exist on the team. It's Maroney I worry about if Brown is drafted.

Someone suggested a while back we send Maroney to Denver for a 2010 4th rounder. Maybe with Brown that could be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back