PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

35 million in cap space, are there NO quality WRs or TEs available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odell May become available..

At this point, the most talented receivers available are loaded with issues. The Pats could get Sanu back (people loved that deal). Maybe sign TO (I heard he wants to return). Reclaim Gordon or AB?

There are reasons people teamless right now are teamless. The great players, even those asking for crazy money, have been signed. I would expect this massive cap number on the books right now for the Pats will be used to help the future with restructures (I assume that is legal), not address the present.

Edelman dropped a Cam strike dead on the money too. We hopefully learn more about the Pats receiving weapons this Sunday night.

Tampa and Brady will get better.
Agree with both, Tampa simply needs to execute better, their talent is unmatched in the NFL.

The Pats are a young team, they need to get and stay healthy, get Gunner and Keene back and incorporate all this young talent into the offense. They're reloading this year, both Tom and Cam are still figuring out their respective offenses.

As far as the challenge of next week I think the Dolphins have a better defense than Seattle and by season's end will be ranked higher. They had no answer for the Patriots, but Seattle's D gave up the most passing yards in the NFL yesterday.

Talent isn't an issue with either offense, execution is.

At this point, the most talented receivers available are loaded with issues. The Pats could get Sanu back (people loved that deal). Maybe sign TO (I heard he wants to return). Reclaim Gordon or AB?

There are reasons people teamless right now are teamless. The great players, even those asking for crazy money, have been signed. I would expect this massive cap number on the books right now for the Pats will be used to help the future with restructures (I assume that is legal), not address the present.

I assume that since it's legal to convert salary to signing bonus, it must be legal to do the opposite as well, right? Seems like it should be, at a minimum. I can't remember an instance of anyone doing it off the top of my head though, so not really sure

I assume that since it's legal to convert salary to signing bonus, it must be legal to do the opposite as well, right? Seems like it should be, at a minimum. I can't remember an instance of anyone doing it off the top of my head though, so not really sure

I can't remember that being attempted either. Then again, most teams are generally trying to reduce present expenditures to add/keep talent rather than to unload a pile of cash that can't be used to add personnel.

Much like the draft decisions, I anticipate bland but generally intelligent.

IF after a few more games, Newton is continuing what we saw in Week 1, why not try for a big money extension where the bulk of the cap hit is this year instead of the usual way cap hits are pushed to later years?

Use the cap space sitting there now so that Cam's cap hit the next few years is relatively low! Sounds like a better use of this year's surplus than trying to find Sanu 2.0.

Because a few more games are not a large enough sample size to know if he can carry this team into the future. He had a good start. He can't run 15 times a game so he has to show he can grow and carry this team to the playoffs. We need a season for that.

Hopefully Gunner gives us more than Byrd when he returns. I have a feeling this team will be quite active during the trade deadline.
There was not one single offensive play call for Byrd.

Wrong thread.

After watching some games yesterday, once again Atlanta was a disappointment. They have so much talent and always come up short. Bill, give them a call and trade for Julio !;) He has always been one of my favourite players !!!!

Once the money is prorated it is not possible to undo it.

A good pick up at receiver would go a long way for us. I hope we find a way to acquire someone decent. Let’s face it we can’t rely on Harry as the #2 wideout.

If we wound up with ODB that would absolutely raise the ceiling.

I haven't been following the cap closely, I thought a month ago the Pats were all out of cap space. Hence the low dollar contract for Cam. Based on the latest below, how do we have so much cap space at $26M this year ??? Do the Krafts just pocket this profit if left unused. We should extend or lock up some talented young guys. Like JC Jackson. Or even extend Cam a month from now.

I haven't been following the cap closely, I thought a month ago the Pats were all out of cap space. Hence the low dollar contract for Cam. Based on the latest below, how do we have so much cap space at $26M this year ??? Do the Krafts just pocket this profit if left unused. We should extend or lock up some talented young guys. Like JC Jackson. Or even extend Cam a month from now.

Opt outs I think?

Players who opted out don’t receive their full salaries for the year and their contracts “toll” (I.e. 2020 becomes 2021, etc.). Hightower, Cannon, Chung, Lacosse opt outs opened up a ton of space. Plus cutting Sanu saved 6.5m.

Last edited:
Bring on ODB in a few weeks. He’ll be miserable, Browns will be a total dumpster fire. They’ll sell ODB for a reasonable price to get him off their hands.

Players who opted out don’t receive their full salaries for the year and their contracts “toll” (I.e. 2020 becomes 2021, etc.). Hightower, Chung, Lacosse opt outs opened up a ton of space. Plus cutting Sanu saved 6.5m.

Thanks. Ok that makes sense. A bunch of talented player opt outs created room. Might make sense to extend JC Jackson, Cam Newton, James White, Thuney, and others.

Thanks. Ok that makes sense. A bunch of talented player opt outs created room. Might make sense to extend JC Jackson, Cam Newton, James White, Thuney, and others.
Yeah, there are a ton of names who are FA. In addition to the ones you named, I’m seeing Andrews, Guy, JMac, Butler, Burkhead, and Simon as “name” FA, and Eluemunor is also up. They won’t resign all of them of course, but the money will go quick. There’s a guess that the 2021 cap could drop down to as low as 175m due to COVID. Currently they have $30m in 2021 cap space (at the 175m level). Carrying forward 20-25m from this year will help make additional space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back