PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3 #1's next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pass.....

Next year will still be good.... just not as deep.

I really dont want a situation where you draft 18 players

look to trade expendables like Lo-Mo, he sucks:cool:

I like Brace.... but if you want him out... it can done.
Ghost could net a nice pick.... he is overvalued imo....
you want more?

With the time between picks being shortened to 8mins I belive .. I think the FO is going to have allot of things preparred so they can react quick when there picks come up..

I would pay TOP dollar to see an all access coverage of Draftday War Room w/ the BB..

I would absolutely love this as well - I've ALWAYS wanted to be a fly on the wall..every year the draft comes I think the same thing. It would be fascinating.

If the player(s) that BB targets are off the board by #22, I can see BB trading back and picking up something extra in 2010 or 2011.

With the Jets, Cowboys, Ravens and Chargers all having an interest in Mt. Cody, if Mt. Cody is available at #22 and BB does not take him (as foolish as that sounds) I could see BB turning that into a decent trade.

The best case scenario in my book is if Claussen is available at #22 and someone, like Washington, wants him real bad.

I'd be very happy if BB just uses this year's first four picks on quality players who can immediately contribute.

I think we would all be happy if the top four rookies picked are 4-4 on immediate contribution.

In other news, I'd be happy with a winning lottery ticket.

Last edited:
If the player(s) that BB targets are off the board by #22, I can see BB trading back and picking up something extra in 2010 or 2011.

With the Jets, Cowboys, Ravens and Chargers all having an interest in Mt. Cody, if Mt. Cody is available at #22 and BB does not take him (as foolish as that sounds) I could see BB turning that into a decent trade.

The best case scenario in my book is if Claussen is available at #22 and someone, like Washington, wants him real bad.

How is it foolish when they just signed Wilfork for five years?

I rememeber Bill Belichick once saying that a lot of draft pick trades are discussed prior to the draft starting, in case a team's preferred picks have gone by their draft slot. It's then fairly straight-forward to call up the teams you discussed the trades with and make the discussed trade happen.

(obviously it is still frantic in practice though)

As an example, the basic parameters of the trade with New Orleans in 2008 were worked out the night before the draft. [IIRC, the last mock on SI.com predicted the Patriots would trade down to #10 to take Mayo.]

What stinks is that the Pats can't trade any of the compensatory picks. Four 7th rounders. Hopefully they land 4 Edelmans!!

The Edelman quadruplets are UDFAs at best. Don't waste the picks.

I think it's more likely that, if the player we like isn't there at one of our 2nds (or we think we can get him with the next one), we'd trade it for a 2nd next year and a 3rd this year to get us back in the 3rd round.

While I agree with this sentiment I worry. I worry that the window of this era is going to start to close a bit the older Brady and BB get. It takes guys a couple years to develop to their full potential. So, I really kinda want to add as much talent as soon as possible and watch it develop while the window is still open.

If we want a 3rd this year, then we should trade down. This need not include any tades into next year's poor, low value draft.

Obviously depends whats on the board but I can see some logic to doing this.

1) If there is a rookie pool next year we wouldn't be hamstrung by too many 1s

2) if this draft is as strong as stated and next years in turn weaker than it would be good to have 3 1s next year to ensure a good draft haul next year. And if this year is so deep than we should be able to find good talent deeper in the draft.

again I think it is important what talent is left. If we fill a few needs and the one big hole we would still like to fill has been drained than maybe it would be good to trade it to next year.

This logic actually does make sense. I think you can really make the argument for trading back a bit or staying still. However, as you stated it all depends on who is available at those picks. If someone is there at 22 that we view as a top 10 caliber guy you have to grab him.

In other years I would be all for a third number one, especially if the deal was with a team that will most likely be drafting early (St Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, etc.) But given reports that there are 50+ players that are deemed to be 1st-round values, coupled with the Pats having multiple needs that need to be addressed now, I'd rather use as many picks as possible in the first two rounds of this year's draft. In fact, I wouldn't mind going the opposite route, and trade the Pats own #1 in 2011 for another 2nd round pick this year.

Do that and who cares whether or not you have a 3rd round pick, or only one pick in the 3rd, 4th and 5th combined? Another 2nd is better than regaining a 3rd; it gives you yet another opportunity to grab one of those fifty players that are first round talents.

I don't understand your post. At the very least, Edelman has proven himself to be worthy of a 7th round selection. You could say hes worth a 6th or 5th in trade now.

Calling JE no better than a UFA does not equal is value and what he has proven at this level.

Last edited:
I don't understand your post. At the very least, Edelman has proven himself to be worthy of a 7th round selection. You could say hes worth a 6th or 5th in trade now.

Calling JE no better than a UFA does not equal is value and what he has proven at this level.

Lol, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

robertweathers said:
What stinks is that the Pats can't trade any of the compensatory picks. Four 7th rounders. Hopefully they land 4 Edelmans!!
Dragda said:

the key being '4 Edelmans!!' in the previous post.

Last edited:
Lol, I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

the key being '4 Edelmans!!' in the previous post.

Couldn't tell. This board has been littered with clowns all week.

Yeah lets keep trading picks to future drafts, as we just sit by and watch Tom Brady's carrer get wasted in his prime..

Yeah lets keep trading picks to future drafts, as we just sit by and watch Tom Brady's carrer get wasted in his prime..

exactly.......in 9 years when they are 2-14 and have 17 1st round picks is when you can bet the farm that they will improve

Agreed. I didn't mind trading into the future when there were weak drafts. Now that we have a strong draft, let's take advantage! Use the tradeable 6ths and 7ths to move up in the 2nd or 4th if need be. We should definitely get 4 very useful players with the first 4, and maybe hit 1 0r 2 of the late rounders...

Would also support trading OUR 2011 1st into the 2010 2nd...

Wimpy.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't tell. This board has been littered with clowns all week.

I'm not saying I'm not a clown, but it was definitely a joke. Four Edelmans= quadruplets. I thought it was funny when I typed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back