PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

26th pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gr8est said:
Was Ben Watson or Marquise Hill a need pick?
Given that Belichick likes the two TE offense and Fauria is backup quality, Watson was although I didn't see it at the time. Hill, who the hell knows. Belichick does love DL and TE, no doubt, but there is no evidence he likes CB, S or LB more than WR when drafting.

Anybody know what will happen with Priest Holmes if he can overcome the knee injury?

The Gr8est said:
I don't understand the fascination with 1st round Wrs, they miss so much...last year Mike Williams and Troy Williamson come to mind as guys who did much less than expected. Find one later in the draft and coach him up like Givens.

Defense wins, our #1 will be LB, CB. or S...bank on it!
I agree - except I'd say first round should be LB, CB, or OL (we were weak at SS this year, but that's because Harrison was out, his backup (Scott) was out, and his backup's backup (Sanders) was out. Very unusual).

big mike said:
I agree - except I'd say first round should be LB, CB, or OL (we were weak at SS this year, but that's because Harrison was out, his backup (Scott) was out, and his backup's backup (Sanders) was out. Very unusual).
Draft for depth and the future all you like, that's what you'd be doing. We have no WR other than Branch and Bethel signed right now. Even if we sign one good one in FA we still have a glaring hole for another. But, go ahead, draft a backup to Bruschi.

Aren't Davis And Bam Childress Signed?

BelichickFan said:
Draft for depth and the future all you like, that's what you'd be doing. We have no WR other than Branch and Bethel signed right now. Even if we sign one good one in FA we still have a glaring hole for another. But, go ahead, draft a backup to Bruschi.

At WR, I thought Davis and Childress were signed in addition to Branch.

Does Troy come back ? maybe.

Givens?
I've thought he was gone ever since I heard that his agent was comparing him to Hines Ward.

BelichickFan said:

...and as you say this is a bad year for WR. Is it better to draft a bad WR just because we need one and pass up better players? Would you trade our #1 pick for Mike Williams or Troy Williamson? We would STILL have a glaring hole at WR. We certainly had a glaring need when BB chose Richard Seymour over David Terrell or Koren Robinson.

BB is a defensive coach and we need some youth and talent at LB and DB....and we WILL go defense with the 1st pick.

Our starting WRs were a late #2 which we were criticized for reaching for and a 7th round pick...and they are both pretty damn good. I have confidence that BB and SP can find one that way again.

Last edited:
old 55 said:
At WR, I thought Davis and Childress were signed in addition to Branch.
Davis isn't signed. Childress might be but I don't want to plan on him being the #2 or #3 WR.

SoonerPatriot said:
I couldn't agree more. Even if Givens leaves, this is still well down my own personal wish list wich reads:

-Cornerback
-Safety
-Running back

Agree with the above. My thoughts on needs are:

CB
Safety
RB
LB
WR( I think that Givens stays, but B. Johnson, Dwight & A. Davis go.)

The Gr8est said:
...and as you say this is a bad year for WR. Is it better to draft a bad WR just because we need one and pass up better players?
Clearly there's a value compoent, I don't want them taking a 2nd round talent WR if there's a stud Safety there. I think we're all talking about all things being equal.

The Gr8est said:
Our starting WRs were a late #2 which we were criticized for reaching for and a 7th round pick...and they are both pretty damn good. I have confidence that BB and SP can find one that way again.
And our starting CB are a #3, #4 and UDFA. But they have done fine and had no bearing on losing last week (other than the bad call).

The one thing that does intrigue me, though, is if one of the big Safeties is there we could team him up with Wilson at Safety or if Rodney comes back move Wilson back to CB and strengthen the depth at CB while getting a stud Safety (would have to be a stud to take a Safety at #21 in this draft).

This may be a silly question but - could Wilson have lost some man to man coverage skills having been away from CB for 3 years ? Is it Safety or nothing or would playing CB be like riding a bike and he could jump right back on ?

I think we should draft the CB Huff from Texas (if he's coming out). He impressed me with the way he tacked guys in the rose bowl, taking down guys twice is size.

PatsDparty said:
I think we should draft the CB Huff from Texas (if he's coming out). He impressed me with the way he tacked guys in the rose bowl, taking down guys twice is size.
Huff is definitely a Belichick kind of guy with his versatility - he's probably going a little ahead of where we pick though.

I like Huff of Texas (won't be there at #21) and Bing of USC, though I was more impressed with Huff. I would rather we concentrate on LB & DB in our first 2 rounds. I kinda disagree with the statements that we can hit a homerun with WR's and RB's in later rounds, after seeing Cedric Cobbs and PK Sam wasting space (and money), I must respectfully disagree. If Lendale White, Laurence Maroney or Deangelo Williams are there at #21 (I doubt any of them will be), I would be very angry if we didn't pick one. I would love to draft a RB or WR with the 3rd round pick. LB and DB in round 1, and LB or DB in round 2. They are saying Bing is dropping fast, so I wouldn't mind him with our 2nd round pick. Also, some excellent USC O-Linemen are available. It should be an interesting draft, As long as we don't go TE & DL in the first 3 rounds, I'll be thrilled.

I agree with much of what you said. The best improvement to this team would be a reliable 100 yard per game running back. That would help the defense and Brady immensely. Get the lead then grind...grind...grind!

BelichickFan said:
Here's a little something I picked up from someone I trust on a Browns' board :

Talking to a very close friend of mine a couple days ago. Now this isn't an acquaitence, but one of those buddies you'd take a bullet for. One you trust completely.

Basically he was telling me that he had gotten tickets from a uncle in luxury seats during last week's game. He was sharing the luxury seats with the head of regional scouting for the Patriots.

I didn't ask him exactly why one of the Patriots top scouts were there; but he did come across a little tidbit for all of us.

Basically it came down to this, "The Patriots draft is based completely on filling needs."

Take it for what it's worth but this guy is a big draft guy and was at the Senior Bowl last year on the field.

Umm.. I think that I will believe Bill Belichick over someone who supposedly claims that the Patriots draft completely on filling needs.

The Patriots draft by VALUE. Need is just one part of that equation. Talent and Intagibles are the other 2 parts of that equation.

BelichickFan said:

BelichickFan -
The Pats have Bam Childress as an exclusive rights free agent. They also signed Muschinski and a guy named Stone as wide receivers. They also have Michael McGrew who was on IR. The Pats will probably also bring back PK Sam. And Sam DID make the Pats out of TC in his rookie year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats drafted a WR like Maurice Stovall who could replace Givens. But I think the Pats will almost assuredly sign a free agent WR as well as look at bringing back Davis and Dwight.

PatDaPatriot said:
I didn't think WR was much of a need until I realized that only Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson are under contract for next year. It's definitely a need area. IMO, the only WR worthy of a first round pick is Moss. It's a very weak class...

Holmes is a hell of alot better than Moss. If WR is our route, and I doubt it will be, Holmes at the 21 spot is a good pick.

BelichickFan said:
Belichick almost always drafts a replacement for a FA who leaves in the first round.

Wiggins => Graham
Hamilton => Warren
Washington => Wilfork
Andruzzi => Mankins
Givens => ???

Hamilton was a free agent after 2003. Warren was drafted in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back