In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
i believe we are getting the 26th pick in the first round

am i right?

obviously the 20 non-playoff teams get earlier pix
the four teams that lost in the first rd get earlier
so that puts us at 25
so, its between us, skins, colts, bears
i think the skins get the 25th? cuz they had the same record as us but didnt win their division
bears and colts had better records than us

so do we get the 26th? or did i screw up, and do we get the 25th cuz of some tiebreaker im overlooking

I believe that we pick 21st. Before all the other non SB playing playoff teams and based upon our hardest strength of schedule.

The beauty is that by losing that game to Miami, apparently we moved up something like six places in the draft. BB is truly an evil genius!

sieglo said:
The beauty is that by losing that game to Miami, apparently we moved up something like six places in the draft. BB is truly an evil genius!

lol, he sure is

sieglo said:

I'm willing to bet he knew that at the time.
Amazing.

flutie2phelan said:
I'm willing to bet he knew that at the time.
Amazing.

Except I doubt that BB really thought we'd be picking anywhere but #32.

gentlemen... Dolphins fan here... condolensces, sincerely... Was routing for you, if you can believe it...

anyhow, who else thinks you guys should go RB in the first round?

PressCoverage said:
Not me. WR all the way (based on appropriate value, of course).

BelichickFan said:
Not me. WR all the way (based on appropriate value, of course).

I don't understand the fascination with 1st round Wrs, they miss so much...last year Mike Williams and Troy Williamson come to mind as guys who did much less than expected. Find one later in the draft and coach him up like Givens.

Defense wins, our #1 will be LB, CB. or S...bank on it!

The Gr8est said:
Belichick almost always drafts a replacement for a FA who leaves in the first round.

Wiggins => Graham
Hamilton => Warren
Washington => Wilfork
Andruzzi => Mankins
Givens => ???

PressCoverage said:
gentlemen... Dolphins fan here... condolensces, sincerely... Was routing for you, if you can believe it...

Personally, I think they should try to swing a deal with Houston for Dominick Davis. Otherwise, I would definitely lean towards a RB in round 1. LenDale White, Laurence Maroney, or D'angelo Williams would be fits...

PatDaPatriot said:
Personally, I think they should try to swing a deal with Houston for Dominick Davis. Otherwise, I would definitely lean towards a RB in round 1. LenDale White, Laurence Maroney, or D'angelo Williams would be fits...
There's a few teams out there with 2 RB. Texans are one. Another is Dallas where Parcells seems to like Marion Barber and he and Julius Jones are similar RB so rotating them is a difficult situation. A team like that may be receptive to a deal with some of our extra picks. It all depends on how the coaching staff feels about Dillon, they know better than us how much of the decline was injury, blocking or age.

The Gr8est said:
I don't understand the fascination with 1st round Wrs, they miss so much...last year Mike Williams and Troy Williamson come to mind as guys who did much less than expected. Find one later in the draft and coach him up like Givens.

They will likely address some combination of LB, CB, and Safety through free agency. The draft is also deep enough at those positions that they could probably bypass those areas in round 1, and still wind-up with an impact player in round 2. A running back or a wr like Sinorice Moss may ultimately be the way to go...

The Gr8est said:

I couldn't agree more. Even if Givens leaves, this is still well down my own personal wish list wich reads:

-Cornerback
-Safety
-Running back

BelichickFan said:
Belichick almost always drafts a replacement for a FA who leaves in the first round.

Wiggins => Graham
Hamilton => Warren
Washington => Wilfork
Andruzzi => Mankins
Givens => ???

That is just a coincidence.

BB likes to take high value positions in the 1st round like DT, TE, LT, CB.

Last year was an overall weak draft and he took a position of need (although Mankins WAS a LT in college).

RB and WR can be found later in the draft moreso than the other positions mentioned.

SoonerPatriot said:
I couldn't agree more. Even if Givens leaves, this is still well down my own personal wish list wich reads:

-Cornerback
-Safety
-Running back
Well . . .

At CB we have Hobbs, Samuel and Gay. Not great but serviceable. One more journeyman for depth and we're OK.

At Safety we have Wilson, Hawkins, Rodney coming back, Sanders, Guss Scott. OK, Rodney's a ??? and Hawkins isn't great but he held up OK against Denver, given an offseason he may be OK. Scott can't stay healthy but he and Sanders are legit possible guys to develop.

At RB we have Dillon, Faulk, Pass. Not great but not awful.

At WR we have Branch, Bethel, Brown, Sam. Givens, Davis, Dwight are UFA. Where's the #2 WR ? The #3 WR ?

Free Agency could change this all around but right now WR is by far the biggest issue.

SoonerPatriot said:

-Cornerback
-Safety
-Running back

I didn't think WR was much of a need until I realized that only Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson are under contract for next year. It's definitely a need area. IMO, the only WR worthy of a first round pick is Moss. It's a very weak class...

The Gr8est said:
That is just a coincidence.

BB likes to take high value positions in the 1st round like DT, TE, LT, CB.

Last year was an overall weak draft and he took a position of need (although Mankins WAS a LT in college).

RB and WR can be found later in the draft moreso than the other positions mentioned.
Here's a little something I picked up from someone I trust on a Browns' board :

Talking to a very close friend of mine a couple days ago. Now this isn't an acquaitence, but one of those buddies you'd take a bullet for. One you trust completely.

Basically he was telling me that he had gotten tickets from a uncle in luxury seats during last week's game. He was sharing the luxury seats with the head of regional scouting for the Patriots.

I didn't ask him exactly why one of the Patriots top scouts were there; but he did come across a little tidbit for all of us.

Basically it came down to this, "The Patriots draft is based completely on filling needs."

Take it for what it's worth but this guy is a big draft guy and was at the Senior Bowl last year on the field.

BelichickFan said:
Here's a little something I picked up from someone I trust on a Browns' board :

Talking to a very close friend of mine a couple days ago. Now this isn't an acquaitence, but one of those buddies you'd take a bullet for. One you trust completely.

Basically he was telling me that he had gotten tickets from a uncle in luxury seats during last week's game. He was sharing the luxury seats with the head of regional scouting for the Patriots.

I didn't ask him exactly why one of the Patriots top scouts were there; but he did come across a little tidbit for all of us.

Basically it came down to this, "The Patriots draft is based completely on filling needs."

Take it for what it's worth but this guy is a big draft guy and was at the Senior Bowl last year on the field.

Was Ben Watson or Marquise Hill a need pick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft