PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Athletic's Dane Brugler on Wallace:

"A four-year starter at Penn State, Wallace was entrenched as the right tackle in former offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich’s multiple run scheme. After breaking into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman, he showed steady progress year over year, including a strong senior season in 2023. Although his kick-slide isn’t always explosive, Wallace stays controlled/squared as a pass blocker to close space and cut off rushers with his strike timing. When his technique is on point, he has the functional movements and strength behind his hands to be a presence in the run game. Overall, Wallace needs to continue developing his consistency, but he is a smooth athlete with a wide base, punch-ready hands,and improved physicality to finish. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him starting as an NFL rookie at right tackle or potentially inside at guard."

Besides Maye Wolf hasn’t impressed me much, dating back to free agency.
Well let’s be honest Maye was an easy pick…..the others have been head scratchers thus far. And staying put while many other teams are moving all over the board and scoring is crazy….time will tell I’m sure

Draft Tek had Caeden Wallace #194,
20th OT

Not pushing Draft Tek, picked them randomly & welcome others feedback

#194 in the 3rd round makes me think Belichick made the pick

Wallace press conference starts in two minutes:

They had him in for a visit.
Tells me they planned to take him at some point.
Maybe they took him earlier than expected because the run on.
They bring a lot of guys in for a visit, it doesn't mean they're taking him.

Not taking Patrick Paul or Kingsley when they had a chance earlier was dumb, they could have traded down 10-15 spots and gotten one or both of them and gotten more picks.

Well let’s be honest Maye was an easy pick…..the others have been head scratchers thus far. And staying put while many other teams are moving all over the board and scoring is crazy….time will tell I’m sure
Yeah I’m looking forward to the team interviewing candidates for GM after the draft. I don’t think Wolf has done a lot to secure the job imo.

He was the RT because top 10 pick Olu Fashanu was the LT. That doesn’t mean he can’t be a solid LT himself.
I hope you are right. He seems like a decent athlete. and improved every year. However, if I was going to try to move someone from RT to LT I think I would have preferred Fisher. Some can play both sides. Some can't like Cannon.

Fun Day One.
Then more Nkeal Harry and Strange reaches.
Too bad.

I think Wolf is entrenched let’s see the rest of the draft.
When they draft a safety named Richard Jordan then we can ring the alarm,
Or a guy ESPN or the internet can’t find film on.

Reaching is relative. One guy's reach is another guy's steal. You follow your board. They passed up guys while obviously trusting their scouting. We'll see if they're wrong, but all we can do is see how it plays out. Wallace was beaten on just 4 snaps last year and anchored a pretty good line. Still digging into him, but seems like a decent pick.
The drafting of Blake Fisher in the second round may have made the Patriots surprised.

I think Wolf is entrenched let’s see the rest of the draft.
When they draft a safety named Richard Jordan then we can ring the alarm,
Or a guy ESPN or the internet can’t find film on.

From The Athletic's Dane Brugler on Wallace:

"A four-year starter at Penn State, Wallace was entrenched as the right tackle in former offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich’s multiple run scheme. After breaking into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman, he showed steady progress year over year, including a strong senior season in 2023. Although his kick-slide isn’t always explosive, Wallace stays controlled/squared as a pass blocker to close space and cut off rushers with his strike timing. When his technique is on point, he has the functional movements and strength behind his hands to be a presence in the run game. Overall, Wallace needs to continue developing his consistency, but he is a smooth athlete with a wide base, punch-ready hands,and improved physicality to finish. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him starting as an NFL rookie at right tackle or potentially inside at guard."
That's a solid write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back