PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 Cap Space - Don't be deceived

Sow is a project for next year and has not been with the 1st group.
I think Sow is too talented and it’s way too early to make this statement.

Unless he retires…he’ll be on the 53. He may not start but he’ll be one of the OT’s…probably RT.
If he’s healthy they could trade him.

I think Sow is too talented and it’s way too early to make this statement.
???
So, you think that Sow can beat out one of the starting OG's, even though he is now an OT?

And Belichick is NOT starting a rookie switching positions at OT.
=======================
Sure, if there is an injury or two at OT, Sow might be active.
===========
Is it really not good enough for a 4th rounder to be a potential 2nd year starter?

McDermott played at right tackle because Reiff moved to left tackle. Playing both tackle spots is not a downgrade. I think you took "replaced on the right side" as a negative, but Reiff moved to the left side. Very disappointing that PatsFans posters commonly take comments in a negative light instead of staying positive. Look at 1-on-1s, McDermott was destroyed. Sow is a project for next year and has not been with the 1st group.

View attachment 51870

Better to stay quiet than open your mouth and look foolish.
I still would prefer to have Brown at RT and Reiff at LT.

Was it ever that high? I thought that number didn't include the bonuses, McCourty's escalation of Void, and was based on a too-high CAP projection. Thought it was more like 30-40M.

In any case, they signed:
Juju
Gisecki
Reiff
Anderson
Cody Davis
Board
Ekuale
Carl Davis
Cardona
Mack Wilson
Peppers
McMillan
Jon Jones

That's not bad - and they still have what? 14million this year?
Yes, it was that high despite including the McCourty Escalation and bonuses since I included those myself. You can look in the threads from last year about the Sal Cap. My number was always lower.

They have 14 Mil because of the shrewd moves they made. Such as cutting and re-signing Mills and the extensions for Bentley and Parker.

Ekuale, Cody Davis, Carl Davis, Cardona, Wilson, McMillan - All signed Vet Min deals. Granted , they didn't qualify for the advanced reduction but even that is still small consdering.

The most expensive guy they signed, CAP HIT wise was REIFF at $5M for this year.

That's a lot different than talking about a 15M/AAV signing for a premier player or a $30M-$50M/AAV for a QB.

EDIT:

Here are all the guys who are UFA for the Pats after 2023. Just to put things in perspective:
Dugger
Uche
Onwenu
Henry

Gesicki
Brown
Bourne
Folk
Cody Davis
Ty Montgomery
Raekwon McMillan (I
Mack Wilson
Carl Davis
Anfernee Jennings
Reiff
Slater
Bryant
Mills
Munson
Trace McSorely

Now, I bolded the 5 guys who are starters going into this season. I know some of those guys aren't making this year's roster and will be on the PS. So, they are likely to be SFA.

Last edited:
???
So, you think that Sow can beat out one of the starting OG's, even though he is now an OT?

=======================
===========
Is it really not good enough for a 4th rounder to be a potential 2nd year starter?
I love these definitive BB would never do that. I love them more when he just did the same thing 2 years ago when college G Mike Onwenu started 16 games at T.
He did exactly the thing you say he will never do 3 years ago.

Urge. To. Be. Deceived. Rising.

McDermott played at right tackle because Reiff moved to left tackle. Playing both tackle spots is not a downgrade. I think you took "replaced on the right side" as a negative, but Reiff moved to the left side. Very disappointing that PatsFans posters commonly take comments in a negative light instead of staying positive. Look at 1-on-1s, McDermott was destroyed. Sow is a project for next year and has not been with the 1st group.

View attachment 51870

Better to stay quiet than open your mouth and look foolish.
I do not agree with this
It was pretty widely reported that McDermott replaced Reiff at RT due to Reiff playing poorly.
Reiff is at LT, because Brown and Anderson were not practicing.

BB's presser he seemed pretty ornery when asked about Andersons status.
McDermott is a replacement level T that was taken from the Jets PS.
Reiff's body is aging out, and per reports has not looked good
Anderson has yet to practice

Onwenu could kick outside. Sow could be great. so could Andrews and Maffi. but that is a very inexperienced OL group, that has really not worked together at all. assuming Andrews, Sow and Maffi are all on the roster, and Anderson and Reiff as well, that's a ton of turn over from last years OL group. assuming they keep 9, 5 will be new to the roster.

big job ahead for Klemm

There's not a chance in hell Mac will see over 30 million a year for the Patriots.

???

=======================
===========
What are you talking about?

The poster I responded too said Sow was "a project for next year"... this is one week into camp with two padded practices.

Solder, Thuney, Onwenu all started in year one, there is no time table for anyone, they determine their own fate.

Like I said, Sow is too talented and it's too early to make this snap judgement.

Last edited:
What are you talking about?

The poster I responded too said Sow was "a project for next year"... this is one week into camp with two padded practices.

Solder, Thuney, Onwenu all started in year one, there is no time table for anyone, they determine their own fate.

Like I said, Sow is too talented and it's too early to make this snap judgement.
I guess that I didn't understand you.

You believe that Sow has a chance to a starting OT in 2023.

I think that GIVEN WHERE WE ARE NOW, it is NOT a snap judgement to believe that he has little chance of starting.

I guess that I didn't understand you.

You believe that Sow has a chance to a starting OT in 2023.

I think that GIVEN WHERE WE ARE NOW, it is NOT a snap judgement to believe that he has little chance of starting.
You'd have said the same thing about Onwenu at this time in 2020.

Sow is a monster of a man, he has the strength to play now, he has the athleticism... we'll see if the coaches can harness it.

I do not agree with this
It was pretty widely reported that McDermott replaced Reiff at RT due to Reiff playing poorly.
Reiff is at LT, because Brown and Anderson were not practicing.

BB's presser he seemed pretty ornery when asked about Andersons status.
McDermott is a replacement level T that was taken from the Jets PS.
Reiff's body is aging out, and per reports has not looked good
Anderson has yet to practice

Onwenu could kick outside. Sow could be great. so could Andrews and Maffi. but that is a very inexperienced OL group, that has really not worked together at all. assuming Andrews, Sow and Maffi are all on the roster, and Anderson and Reiff as well, that's a ton of turn over from last years OL group. assuming they keep 9, 5 will be new to the roster.

big job ahead for Klemm
I don’t think it was reported at all much less widely reported that Reid was replaced due to playing poorly. Do you have any links?

How was BB “ornery” he answered the question about when would an unhealthy player be healthy the same way he has his entire life. It’s a stupid question to ask.

Onwenu is staying at G. How can 5 of 9 be new if Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu , McDermott which may be the starting 5 are all returning.
Did you watch last season and think it would be a disaster if we replaced all of the backup OL?

You'd have said the same thing about Onwenu at this time in 2020.

Sow is a monster of a man, he has the strength to play now, he has the athleticism... we'll see if the coaches can harness it.
I'm NOT doubting Sow's ability.

If there was an opening at OG, he would be starting.

However, his future is at OT. He is switching positions. I don't think that he will be starting at RT ahead of McDermott, Reiff, and Anderson.

We absolutely NEED to develop an OT. Sow is likely to have a chance to start in 2024. That's AWESOME. That is NOT saying that he doesn't have talent. Quite the opposite.

However, his future is at OT. He is switching positions. I don't think that he will be starting at RT ahead of McDermott, Reiff, and Anderson.

We absolutely NEED to develop an OT. Sow is likely to have a chance to start in 2024. That's AWESOME. That is NOT saying that he doesn't have talent. Quite the opposite.
Onwenu converted from college G to starting RT as a rookie.

We'll see...

Onwenu converted from college G to starting RT as a rookie.
Yes, and the team has since decided that he is much more valuable as a guard.

I'm not doubting Onwenu's ability to play RT. However, he is one of the best RG's in the league, and we have many other options at RT.

Yes, and the team has since decided that he is much more valuable as a guard.

I'm not doubting Onwenu's ability to play RT. However, he is one of the best RG's in the league, and we have many other options at RT.
But your comment was there is no way Belichick would start a rookie changing positions on the OL and if happened 3 years ago

But your comment was there is no way Belichick would start a rookie changing positions on the OL and if happened 3 years ago
fair enough

If all the RT's fail, then Belichick would certainly have to weaken the RG position and move Onwenu to RT. Belichick will do what he has to do.

fair enough

If all the RT's fail, then Belichick would certainly have to weaken the RG position and move Onwenu to RT. Belichick will do what he has to do.
No. The discussion was Sow playing RT. You said it’s impossible because he’s a rookie changing positions.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back