PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 8: Patriots fall 31-17 to the Dolphins

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Actually, trading Uche doesn't create that much of a hole since they have Jennings, Wise and White there. They also signed Bradley-King.
You want to wait until NEXT year to bring in someone when there are players available they could bring in NOW (Derek Barenett, Malone) that could help.
You know what the media which is harping on selling will say next yr when one of those get hurt. "The traded uche for a 3rd round pick and didnt build any depth around him".

This team is a lot closer than you want to believe.

They're going into next season with 43 players under contract. They have 8 draft picks as it stands. That brings them to 51. They need a LT. They need a Swing Tackle. They need someone in the secondary who can command it like McCourty did. I don't know if they're asking Dugger to do that or not. I don't know if they're asking Phillips to do that or not. But it's not being done effectively.

If they bring back Jennings and Pharoah Brown, that will help. Adding someone like Derek Barnett would be great to the rotation with Jennings, Judon, Wise and White.
We wouldve been competrtive yesterday, if gonzales and judon played yesterday . Yes every team has injuries but when two of your best players and one of them who is there specifically to handle players like hill are down , the defense gets exposed in critical situations.

Please identify the terrible starters we have on the OL.
LT Brown
LG Strange
OC Andrews
RG Sow/Mafi
OT Onwenu

Apparently, one player on you **** list is Brown, one of better LT's in the NFL. Surely, you would have him gone.
Brown is so good. He just plain old stopped blocking on a play which let to a sack.

If you're talking Andy Reid he had Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, and Patrick Mahomes.

If you're talking George Seifert he had Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Let's be real, we'd rather take ANY of those guys on our team right now instead of "popgun arm" Mac Jones and the afterthought QB projects!

When you look back in history it becomes obvious that the great QB is just as important if not more so than the great Coach!
Andy Reid took Jeff Garcia to the playoffs and won a wildcard game

Why did he take a sack? There's an easy answer.

His protection wasn't perfect there, but Corky's such a clueless, chicken-**** ***** that I'm fairly sure he would've found a way to **** up one of the few opportunities presented to him anyway, even if he was given a couple more seconds.

The O-line of Brown, Strange, Andrews, Sow, and Onwenu will be pretty damned good, actually. They've been hurt, rotating pieces and trying to figure it out. I don't think the OL will be as big an issue next year (IF they re-sign Onwenu as their RT and replace or re-sign Brown appropriately).

I still think Strange is a tackle. Big guys bull-rushing is his biggest weakness. He's fast and strong but not anchored like a typical IOL. If Strange kicked out to LT and Mafi took over LG next year, I still think their OL would be good.

And yes, part of the OL problem is Mac Jones. He can't see a blitz coming to (literally?) save his life, one of his many weaknesses.

I would first try using Sow's superior athleticism at LG and Mafi's superior strength at RG, where I still feel both are more natural fits.

LT Brown
LG Strange
OC Andrews
RG Sow/Mafi
OT Onwenu

Apparently, one player on you **** list is Brown, one of better LT's in the NFL. Surely, you would have him gone.

None of them are "terrible," but none of them are even the popularity-contest worthy "pro bowl" good either. They all play like they're still hurting from their pre-season maladies...and I have no ****ing idea what PFF sees in Blob Brown either.

LT Brown
LG Strange
OC Andrews
RG Sow/Mafi
OT Onwenu

MG - Just stop replying to my posts if you can't be bothered to comprehend basic English.

Apparently you have no idea who the Patriots Free Agents are or how old they are or what other talent is or is not going to be free agents going into next season. Maybe you should go look so you understand that the OT Free Agency class is going to be even WEAKER than this past year's. The best of the bunch was Caleb McGary and he didn't get close to a deal breaking contract.

Trent Brown, who is currently playing hurt and which I have acknowledged, is a UFA. He's the BEST OT available in free agency next year at this point in time. At 31, he's not getting a long term deal. Particularly when he's been hurt so much the last 2 years. It's unlikely he returns unless he's willing to forgo that big contract.. Which I doubt.

Onwenu is one of the best OGs and will probably rank close to the RTs that were available last season. I've stated that I want him back. At RG, which is his best position. He will also need to be paid well regardless of what position he plays when he comes back

I've said I want bookend Tackles with the 2nd tackle being capable of being the SWING tackle because we don't have that. If that Swing tackle can push Onwenu back inside to guard, great. If not and he's only the swing tackle, that's fine as well,

None of them are "terrible," but none of them are even the popularity-contest worthy "pro bowl" good either. They all play like they're still hurting from their pre-season maladies...and I have no ****ing idea what PFF sees in Blob Brown either.

You're wrong, Cap. Onwenu is an All-Pro caliber RG. He's finally healthy and it's shown.

Brown is so good. He just plain old stopped blocking on a play which let to a sack.

Brown is playing hurt. On the play you're talking about, he was engaged with two Dolphin. The one on his left was also engaged with a TE who I think was Gesicki. God forbid that Brown not be able to handle 2 D-linemen on his own.

Brown is playing hurt. On the play you're talking about, he was engaged with two Dolphin. The one on his left was also engaged with a TE who I think was Gesicki. God forbid that Brown not be able to handle 2 D-linemen on his own.
Dude, he stopped playing during a play. That's not him getting overpowered or aggravating an injury.

Dude, he stopped playing during a play. That's not him getting overpowered or aggravating an injury.

Go back and watch the play again. He had 2 Phins on him with a TE helping with the guy who made the sack. I understand he "stopped" but you have no idea if he aggravated his leg injury, which I didn't even mention.
MY point, which you're ignoring, is that the play isn't as cut and dry as you're attempting to make it.

Brown's supposedly playing hurt. Knee and foot. Was seen limping badly after the game.
I was at the game and in the second half Brown barely made it from the end of a play to the new line before they set - he was getting worse as the game went on limping

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back