PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Patriots Official Postgame Thread: Week - 14 NE @ PIT

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I am not sure why O'Brien and Belichick still try to run the tush push. It didn't work with Mac who is bigger than Zappe, it wasn't going to work with Zappe either. You need a mac truck of a center (Kelse) which Andrews is not and a big and strong QB (Hurts) which Zappe is not.
Yeah get that out of the playbook. We’re not built for that.

JJSS and Parker ?.......think I would give JJSS another chance , get injury free and assess during camp 2024 but I don't think I would keep Parker once this season has finished.

Parker can't stay on the field. Never could. Despite the extension, there is only a minimal additional cap hit in 2024 if they cut him before June 1.

With JuJu, they lose additional cap space in 2024 if they cut him before June 1. They gain a million if they cut him after June 1. So their is no real incentive to cut him until the very end of the preseason anyway. Might as well bring him back and see if he can do anything.

Dd we just complete the game with 1 x RB Elliott ?....K.Harris was down as "did not play"

I am not sure why O'Brien and Belichick still try to run the tush push. It didn't work with Mac who is bigger than Zappe, it wasn't going to work with Zappe either. You need a mac truck of a center (Kelse) which Andrews is not and a big and strong QB (Hurts) which Zappe is not.

It’s even more frustrating when you see how easy these are for other teams. Trubisky got a 4th and inches on his own 30 or something with no issue. Unless you are the eagles Sneaks are much more successful when you don’t telegraph what you’re doing so theres at least the threat of something else. But Bob still hasn’t figured it out.

The offensive playcalling overall was just brutal down the stretch after such a good first half from bob

Dd we just complete the game with 1 x RB Elliott ?....K.Harris was down as "did not play"

That might have been game plan related. Pittsburgh has some good run stuffing lb’s but they cant cover for ****. We never did get much going on the ground until late and even then zeke finished at 3.1 ypc

Pickens is quickly becoming more trouble than he is worth.
That run play where he just went through the motions was something. Belichick would bench a player for that.

Maybe Smith-Schuster's knee is finally recovering? He had an ankle injury this game that he played through.

And did Gesicki even have any snaps? Didn't hear his name called despite the fact that we were scraping the bottom of our WR barrel.

They played not to lose and likely would have if not one of the worst penalty calls in a year full of them. Even Tavai knew he messed up.
You are arguing that the approach to play conservative to protect the lead failed because they won. If they played more aggressively they would have lost.
You have now reached bottom, arguing that successful strategy was wrong.

Where was Mac Jones? Did the camera show him once?
I think I saw him once. He was standing alone, maybe five feet from anyone else. At least he wasn’t slumped on the bench.

Now that we saw that Zappe can play a little bit we need to put Mac back in and secure that top 2 pick. It would be a disaster if we end up picking at the bottom of the top 10
At this point if Mac goes back into the lineup it’s obviously tanking. Goodell would simply forfeit our first round pick to negate any benefit.

I went to bed at halftime, and it looks like not much happened so i made the right call.

Any idea what his winning % is with every other QB? I bet that's interesting too.
With Mac Jones? It's very low.

With Matt Cassell, Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo, it's 72%.

Hmmmmm, let's see: with 5 different Patriots QBs, it's over 70%. With one, I'm not even going to bother.

With Mac Jones? It's very low.

With Matt Cassell, Jacoby Brissett and Jimmy Garoppolo, it's 72%.

Hmmmmm, let's see: with 5 different Patriots QBs, it's over 70%. With one, I'm not even going to bother.

You really cannot count Brissett or Garoppolo or even Zappe. Not a big enough sample size. You don't even have a half a season worth of starts combined between them.

"Zappe said it was a wakeup call when he got cut by the Patriots in camp," Hartung said. "As he signed with their practice squad the very next day, he told [Zach] Kittley [Zappe's offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky], 'Trust me, I've got this. Eventually I'll be the starter."

Bailey Zappe reportedly made bold claim after being cut by Patriots
Sounds somewhat reminiscent of that guy who told Kraft “I’m the best decision you ever made”. Not at the same level, but rock solid confidence in himself.

Sounds somewhat reminiscent of that guy who told Kraft “I’m the best decision you ever made”. Not at the same level, but rock solid confidence in himself.
Yeah but if Maye is there in the first or JJ McCarthy in the second you have to pull the trigger.
Is Harrison staying it looks like?
A trade down maybe the way to go.

He looked decent in the two starts last year and he played a really good half last night.

He's got 4 more games to show what he has.

If he somehow lights it up, it would be interesting to see what the conversation would be like heading into the offseason.

He looked decent in the two starts last year and he played a really good half last night.

He's got 4 more games to show what he has.

If he somehow lights it up, it would be interesting to see what the conversation would be like heading into the offseason.
Will he be good enough by then to trade back, stockpile some additional 2nd and 3rd round picks, and add more talent around him? Bolster the OL and receiving corps, add a back to augment Rham and Zeke. Maybe add a vet corner.

This may be a disappointing season overall, but the offseason is shaping up to be one of the most interesting we've had in a long time.

I called a college aged girl maam when I was 25 and she ripped my head off.
Never again they could be pushing 100 I’m saying Miss.
My wife told a waitress "thank you maam" last year and the waitress, as we found out at that time was trans, lit into my wife for calling her maam. She/he never had to worry about that ever again after we left.

I remember being at an Elvis concert in 72 and there were a bunch of women in their late 30's or 40's in front of us and we were calling them old ladies. Not so they could hear us though.

I think Bill cares the same about winning the next game regardless who it is.
Bill was accused of running up the score vs Gibbs in 2007 and he does seem like the type to hold grudges. Maybe he has a problem with Triplin. I know I do.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back