PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Patriots Official Postgame Thread: Week - 14 NE @ PIT

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I said it at half time when everyone was putting him in the HoF... it's ONE HALF of ONE GAME.
And, Zappe did well for 1 half. The 2nd half was pathetic by the whole offense.
So, yes, I'm withholding my zeal.
I am on this train with you. He had a nice first half, but one of the TDs was the result of Peppers INT. Zappe did the absolute minimum needed to win. He didn't crap himself and give it away, although they tried with the blocked punt. Just think, if Tomlin kicked the field goal earlier, we might be singing a different tune this morning. I am ready for a new special teams staff.

I am thrilled with the win, and thrilled to still be in the 2 spot for the draft.

1st half O vs. 2nd half - BOB working from script vs BOB selecting plays live?

I said it at half time when everyone was putting him in the HoF... it's ONE HALF of ONE GAME.
And, Zappe did well for 1 half. The 2nd half was pathetic by the whole offense.
So, yes, I'm withholding my zeal.
And, the biggest fear isn't that Zappe might get a few wins this year - that's fine.
The biggest fear is that those few wins will be enough to "inception" Kraft to keep BB, and give him ANOTHER offseason.
And it will be continued mediocrity and same old coaches, and Zappe will turn into Mac next year... (he's halfway there already)

Not ready to write off the first half performance. Not ready to accept it wasn't a fluky thing where the Steelers just came out flat on a Thursday night and then finally got into gear at half time either. Zappe did make some big time throws in the first half. But were receivers open because they got open or the Steelers were sleep walking? Or were they able to exploit the Steelers' depleted LB core until the Steelers adjusted?

I am hopeful that Zappe and the offense have found something to build on and will give KC a game in 10 days, but I wouldn't be shocked if KC romped the Pats 38-3 either.

They went conservative the 2nd half w/ only 35% passing plays. The 1st half had about 67% passing plays.

Maybe PIT made adjustments in the half to take away the pass, and Pats just ran the ball into a lighter box. Or Bill figured his D could stop Trubisky from getting 12 pts before time ran out.
I mean this was finally a game where playing conservative late was the way to go. The Steelers offense is hot garbage but their defense was getting amped up. Wasn’t worth risking the turnover.

No team has won the Super Bowl starting 2-10 in a season. Why can’t we be the first? ;)
That's right! All they have to do is make the playoffs.

Good news atleast our Pick didn't move I want us to get a Top 3 selection.

Zappe is crappe but he does have a little moxie in him, kinda like a Baker Mayfield. Doesn't **** his pants under pressure like Mac.

great game by Zappe tonight. But I do not think he has a stronger arm than Mac.
Arm strength is Zappe's biggest weakness with height a close second
How can you call a guy who throws Floaters arm strong??

So we definitely tried our best to blow this one too and **** over our defense.

After we make a huge goal line stand, our st which had already blown several games the last few years gets the punt blocked and pitt starts in the red zone a second straight time!

Defense makes another stop late, st jumps offsides which would have kept the drive going if the refs didn’t blow the call.

We very fortunately get the ball back despite further incompetence, do 3 bland runs and give it right back. Defense stops them again.

We cant convert 3rd and inches, another 3 and out and defense has to seal it although it would have taken a prayer.

I just hope we can make it through the last 4 weeks with our d staying hungry and carrying this into next year. Should have been the 4th straight game weve held someone to 10 or less if not for incompetence from st. If achord is back the person who lets him back should be fired

Interesting. His winning % with Brady is 74%.
Any idea what his winning % is with every other QB? I bet that's interesting too.

As for the defense, hard to judge them since Trubisky is so hot or cold and mostly cold. The fact he was drafted before Mahomes will be one of NFL’s head scratch forever.

The Steelers are a running team and had 82 yards on 28 carries for less than 3 yards per carry. BB is 10 - 3 against the Steelers because he takes away the running game. Trubisky was never going to beat the Pats. Great game by the D.

So we definitely tried our best to blow this one too.

After our defense makes a huge goal line stand, our st which had already blown several games the last few years gets the punt blocked.

Defense makes another stop late, st jumps offsides which would have kept the drive going if the refs didn’t blow the call.

We get the ball back, do 3 bland runs and give it right back. Defense stops them again.

We cant convert 3rd and inches, another 3 and out and defense has to seal it although it would have taken a prayer.

I just hope we can make it through the last 4 weeks with our d staying hungry and carrying this into next year. Should have been the 4th straight game weve held someone to 10 or less if not for incompetence from st. If achord is back the person who lets him back should be fired

I am not sure why O'Brien and Belichick still try to run the tush push. It didn't work with Mac who is bigger than Zappe, it wasn't going to work with Zappe either. You need a mac truck of a center (Kelce) which Andrews is not and a big and strong QB (Hurts) which Zappe is not.

Last edited:
1st half O vs. 2nd half - BOB working from script vs BOB selecting plays live?
Just a quintessential BB/TB/Dynasty win ... only needed one half of good football to win.

A couple notes:

- Although the Patriots hold the #2 pick, I think there is a possibility that they could drop to three even if they lose the rest of their games. The Pats have the SOS tie breaker with Arizona. But it is close and that could change by the end of the season based on the win loss record of the teams each play.

- Last night Bailey Zappe has passed for more TDs in a single game on Heinz Field than any Steelers' QB since December 27, 2020 when Roethlisberger threw for three against the Colts. Kenny Pickett has yet to have a game where he passed for three TDs and only one game where he passed for two.
Pretty confident Arizona will beat the Bears and Pats will lose the next 3. The Jets game it will then come down to, and by then should know the SOS story but you might have multiple teams at 4 wins then. They could drop as low as 7th, though with 4 wins the 5th spot is most probable.

JJSS and Parker ?.......think I would give JJSS another chance , get injury free and assess during camp 2024 but I don't think I would keep Parker once this season has finished.

JJSS and Parker ?.......think I would give JJSS another chance , get injury free and assess during camp 2024 but I don't think I would keep Parker once this season has finished.
Parker just got an extension. He's not going anywhere.

I thought defense played lights out first half and sloppy in the second for the most part….tale of two “half’s” (is it halves?:)
Ya know. I initially went with halves then changed it to halfs. Idfk what in doing anymore.

I am not sure why O'Brien and Belichick still try to run the tush push. It didn't work with Mac who is bigger than Zappe, it wasn't going to work with Zappe either. You need a mac truck of a center (Kelse) which Andrews is not and a big and strong QB (Hurts) which Zappe is not.
We were better off handing the ball to Zeke who is very good in short yardage. Didn’t make sense at all to go for the tush push.

Parker just got an extension. He's not going anywhere.
Yeah I saw that , and I appreciate it could be a waste of money but I just would not keep him around if he cant / does not perform.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back