PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Draft Class of WRs

If they were looking 1st round i'd say Williams, Burks or Dotson. Later rounds: Metchie, Pickens or Bell

They have to bring in someone to help evaluate these receivers. Maybe ask Troy Brown his thoughts during the process. This has been a blind spot drafting for this team for a long time. I'd almost rather say they're better off going for Godwin or Big Mike Williams in FA over drafting. Hell maybe get Chark from the Jags for a 5th rounder.

I have zero confidence in Bills ability to draft a wide out.

Honestly don't know how people can say this

Brian-Snyder-AP-1.jpeg
IGFXJ4RIGEI6TKH37Z7FWY4QAI.jpg

They have to bring in someone to help evaluate these receivers. Maybe ask Troy Brown his thoughts during the process. This has been a blind spot drafting for this team for a long time. I'd almost rather say they're better off going for Godwin or Big Mike Williams in FA over drafting. Hell maybe get Chark from the Jags for a 5th rounder.

just bring in Ochmed Jones and BaconGrundleCandy as consultants. They are the only ones i trust to evaluate college talent.

Burks intrigues me because he seems like an athletic freak: Big, HUGE hands, but still athletic (not another Harry). He sounds to me like a Gronk-style at WR, though I'm obviously not going to assume he ends up as GOOD as Gronk. But if he "gets it" he could have that kind of mismatch impact.

dotson or robinson scream pats to me. burks though athletic , they mention is not a crisp route runner. robinson in second round seems about right to me. trade down and stockpile picks 40-60

Edelman was a 7th and Branch was a 2nd. 2 guys in 20 + years.. I'll stand by my comment.
Are you daring me to bring out my Patriots drafting WR analysis!?!?! I have copyrighted it, just so you're aware.

But anyway, the Patriots have only succeeded in finding 4 WRs over the last 22 years. You have to add Givens and Mitchell.

But they've also used barely any premium picks (top 3 rounds). 7 picks in 22 years is a league low.

Of their 16 picks (I'm counting Braxton Berrios as a miss but I'm not counting Matthew Slater at all as a pick or a miss), several of them have been 7th rounders, like Edelman, but also like Ebert, Gallon, Lucien, etc.

In other words, we do have a bad 25% success rate (compare to the Steelers 33% rate), but we almost never use premium picks of the position, and when we do it's mostly disastrous. For one Branch, we have multiple Dobson, Tate, Harry, Chad Jacksons.

That being said, you look at the Steelers and they hit 3 of 8 premium picks in the last 8 years. (Yes, the Steelers have drafted more WRs with premium picks in the last 8 years than Bill has drafted in the last 22 years). They succeeded with Dionte Johnson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Claypool, but failed with the likes of Wheaton, Archer, Bryant, Washington, Coates.

Patriots are bad at evaluating, but they also don't expend much to actually find a WR, even if it's just dumb luck (i.e. the way the Steelers do it).

Honestly don't know how people can say this

Brian-Snyder-AP-1.jpeg
IGFXJ4RIGEI6TKH37Z7FWY4QAI.jpg

Edelman was a QB who eventually transitioned to WR. Some people on this site were not born when Branch and Givens were drafted.

When you zero in on finding a draft WR that you expect to contribute year 1 the Pats are one if not the worst in the NFL. Plug and play now before BB is in a nursing home.

Patriots are bad at evaluating, but they also don't expend much to actually find a WR, even if it's just dumb luck (i.e. the way the Steelers do it).
They spend/waste those picks on DBs instead. [Seriously, though, I don't understand how this team can be so good at finding UDFAs and struggle so much at finding DBs in the second round.]

When you zero in on finding a draft WR that you expect to contribute year 1 the Pats are one if not the worst in the NFL. Plug and play now before BB is in a nursing home.
Again, though, the Patriots have barely tried to do that.

Burks intrigues me because he seems like an athletic freak: Big, HUGE hands, but still athletic (not another Harry). He sounds to me like a Gronk-style at WR, though I'm obviously not going to assume he ends up as GOOD as Gronk. But if he "gets it" he could have that kind of mismatch impact.
How can someone that big be that fast?

That is freakish.

6'3" 225 and runs a 4.3?

I am betting that Burks will rise to the top 10 just based off his combine if those numbers hold up.

Are you daring me to bring out my Patriots drafting WR analysis!?!?! I have copyrighted it, just so you're aware.

But anyway, the Patriots have only succeeded in finding 4 WRs over the last 22 years. You have to add Givens and Mitchell.

But they've also used barely any premium picks (top 3 rounds). 7 picks in 22 years is a league low.

Of their 16 picks (I'm counting Braxton Berrios as a miss but I'm not counting Matthew Slater at all as a pick or a miss), several of them have been 7th rounders, like Edelman, but also like Ebert, Gallon, Lucien, etc.

In other words, we do have a bad 25% success rate (compare to the Steelers 33% rate), but we almost never use premium picks of the position, and when we do it's mostly disastrous. For one Branch, we have multiple Dobson, Tate, Harry, Chad Jacksons.

That being said, you look at the Steelers and they hit 3 of 8 premium picks in the last 8 years. (Yes, the Steelers have drafted more WRs with premium picks in the last 8 years than Bill has drafted in the last 22 years). They succeeded with Dionte Johnson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, and Claypool, but failed with the likes of Wheaton, Archer, Bryant, Washington, Coates.

When Brady was here, the Pats could waste draft picks on WR (and elsewhere) all day long and Brady still found a way to win.

I don't see Mac as that type of guy. For him to deliver banners its going to take WR who are playmakers like he had in Alabama.

Again, though, the Patriots have barely tried to do that.
They dont suck because they didnt try doesnt work.

Aaron Dodson, Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson were 2nd round picks. Brandon Tate was a 3rd. Kooper Cup was a 3rd.

Last edited:
They dont suck because they didnt try doesnt work.

Aaron Dodson, Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson were 2nd round picks. Brandon Tate was a 3rd. Kooper Cup was a 3rd.
Many picked around Kupp went bust.

It is a matter of volume. We don't make many picks.

Those people you list above as busts happened over the entirety of Belichick's career here.

The Steelers have more busts than that in early rounds in the last 8 years alone.

*sigh*

I feel like all this hand wringing over WRs is a waste of time and energy. Bill either sucks at WR evals or doesn't value the position like other teams, or a combination or both. Better off spending time looking at front 7 guys, IMO.

There are opportunities further down the board. the 30-31 WR will likely be undrafted and both are slot candidates who could either be picked up late or as an UDFA.

If Bill doesn’t sign any FA’s, I’d expect him to address this position within the first two rounds of the draft. This group is just bad.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back