PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Red Sox

Nice easy win for Sox, Sele pitches 5 and gives up 2 hits and a 1 run. Renfro has a late bases clearing double and now has 93 RBI's. Barnes made his return and gave up a walk and a hit but got out of trouble. Toronto loses, Yankees win. Nick Pivetta goes after his allusive 10th win tomorrow at 1PM.
Barnes is such a big piece of this, if he pitches like he did the first half of the year. And Martinez and Devers need to get back to what they can do.

Sox bullpen again pitching well with 5 1/3 innings of scoreless relief in the 9-3 win. Nice to see Xander come through with a big 3 run homer to put the game out of reach and thank you Cleveland for spanking the Yankees 11-3.

Last edited:
Be nice to get the sweep today. Yankees are facing some atrocious starting pitching the next few days so good to maintain the 1.5 game lead going into the short series with the Mets.

Be nice to get the sweep today. Yankees are facing some atrocious starting pitching the next few days so good to maintain the 1.5 game lead going into the short series with the Mets.
I almost feel guilty taking wins from Baltimore, today's starter Wells's ERA is .776. On Friday night the Orioles had 4 consecutive relievers with ERA'S over 7. Its nice knowing we have one more series with the Orioles.

Last edited:
I almost feel guilty taking wins from Baltimore, today's starter Wells's ERA is .776. On Friday night the Orioles had 4 consecutive relievers with ERA'S over 7. Its nice knowing we have one more series with the Orioles.
I hear ya, but a win's a win, and for all we know the Sox lose today but let's hope not. Makes the Yankees ineptitude against them all the sweeter. Would be great to build a little cushion on the off chance they lose the series to the Yankees. But one game at a time, so far so good.

Love the move of Houck to the bullpen, btw. With him, Whitlock, and even Richards out there, that gives them 3 guys that can give them multiple innings. If the big bats do their part and Sale gets his velocity back, the pieces are aligning nicely.

I hear ya, but a win's a win, and for all we know the Sox lose today but let's hope not. Makes the Yankees ineptitude against them all the sweeter. Would be great to build a little cushion on the off chance they lose the series to the Yankees. But one game at a time, so far so good.

Love the move of Houck to the bullpen, btw. With him, Whitlock, and even Richards out there, that gives them 3 guys that can give them multiple innings. If the big bats do their part and Sale gets his velocity back, the pieces are aligning nicely.

They have a lot going in their favor finally. Players coming back from Covid, their pitching schedule including the off days and playing Baltimore to close out the season. They may end up with enough cushion to rest up their rotation a bit.

They have a lot going in their favor finally. Players coming back from Covid, their pitching schedule including the off days and playing Baltimore to close out the season. They may end up with enough cushion to rest up their rotation a bit.
The yankees have given up ten or more runs the last two games.

Hard to have a better weekend than that, assuming Whitlock is OK

Going by the idea that 92 wins is the number to shoot for, if the Sox take 2 of 3 from the Yankees they would just need to split the remaining 8 against the Mets, Nats and Orioles to get there, while the Yankees would need to go 8-1 in their other games.

Hard to have a better weekend than that, assuming Whitlock is OK

Going by the idea that 92 wins is the number to shoot for, if the Sox take 2 of 3 from the Yankees they would just need to split the remaining 8 against the Mets, Nats and Orioles to get there, while the Yankees would need to go 8-1 in their other games.
All of that to just get a one play in game. I hate it. The Sox jays and yankees should be playing for one wild card spot. Instead of this BS one game play in crapola.

All of that to just get a one play in game. I hate it. The Sox jays and yankees should be playing for one wild card spot. Instead of this BS one game play in crapola.
Yeah, I get it. If you lose that game it feels like you achieved nothing. But I do understand the change, when there was only one wild card the division title meant so little. So it's kind of a trade-off

But I do understand the change, when there was only one wild card the division title meant so little. So it's kind of a trade-off
I never understood that. The division title means you're in the playoffs with home field for the first round. If you use that logic. then baseball should go back to just 4 teams making the playoffs. That way, the division means more. I'm not suggesting I want that. Just making a point. I thought three playoff rounds was perfection.

I never understood that. The division title means you're in the playoffs with home field for the first round. If you use that logic. then baseball should go back to just 4 teams making the playoffs. That way, the division means more. I'm not suggesting I want that. Just making a point. I thought three playoff rounds was perfection.
Well, this year would exciting for the Sox either way. But in general, it includes more teams. And a few years ago, the Sox won the wild card, and it just didn't seem to matter at all they lost the division, so that achievement definitely lost some luster with just one wild card, IF there were just two teams fighting for it.

Big start tonight for Eduardo Rodriguez 11-8 .500. He's a free agent next year and could use a couple of victories out of his last 3 starts and possible playoff exposure to increase his asking price. Sox are facing fireballer Marcus Stroman with a .288 Era so hopefully Mets don't try too hard to win as they would prefer the Yankees don't make the playoffs too.

Wow. Xander. 2 run homer gives Sox the 4-2 lead. It makes up for his grounding into a home to first DP in his previous at bat.

Big start tonight for Eduardo Rodriguez 11-8 .500. He's a free agent next year and could use a couple of victories out of his last 3 starts and possible playoff exposure to increase his asking price. Sox are facing fireballer Marcus Stroman with a .288 Era so hopefully Mets don't try too hard to win as they would prefer the Yankees don't make the playoffs too.
He’s a weird pitcher, just has never really seemed to put it together. Another W though, good night for Bogaerts after the early squander

Chris Sale starts tonight on normal rest after throwing 5 innings Friday. If Sox get a good lead early I would pull Sale early and pitch him on Sunday against the Yankees if need be.

Chris Sale starts tonight on normal rest after throwing 5 innings Friday. If Sox get a good lead early I would pull Sale early and pitch him on Sunday against the Yankees if need be.
Don’t think they’d want to mess with Sale on short rest. Sox taking care of business, honestly if they just don’t get swept by NY they should be ok, but would be great to knock them out

I just watched a 50 second Q&A with Xander who rambled on about if we win we will keep wearing the yellow uniforms, I was hoping he quote Crash Davis by saying "Never f@#k with a winning streak.

Cole vs Eovaldi, which should mean a low scoring game. Just win 1 of 3 at least this weekend and let NY and Toronto play each other next.

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back