PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Patriots

It's funny, I've never been on the McDaniels taking over for Bill train but when presented with Patricia or Lil Bill (Steve), I'll take him every day of the week.

Sign G -Thuney 5 year 71M 30g (11, 14, 14, 16, 16)
Sign C - Andrews 4 year 27M 12g (6, 6, 7, 8)
Sign RB - White 4 year 21M 12g (4, 5, 6, 5)
Sign RB - Burkhead 2 year 7M 3g (3, 4) <First year fully guaranteed and then see about next year>
Sign CB - McCourty 2 year 10M 6g (5, 5)
Sign CB - Jackson 2 year 25M 12g (9, 16) <I think the team wants to see 1 more year. And he'll take it for this leverage of having 3M dead next yr. It also allows him to be an UFA if cut next year>
Sign DI - Guy 3 year 16M 8g (5, 5, 6)

I'm onboard minus the running backs. I just don't value the position to pay them and White is 29 and Rex 31 in July. If you can get them on the cheap for 2 years great. If not I appreciate all you've done now go win another one in Tampa.

i'm hopeful that this is going to be a bounce back year. The way most people talk is as if we went 1-15. we went 7-9 with a QB who threw only 8 TD's, record high optouts, no receivers or tight ends and a tough schedule.

Now, Bill has his highest picks in years, $60million in capspace in a year with a cap reduction where many teams are over the cap and need to let go players. and in a year where there will be record QB movement. Bill can fill alot of holes and add alot of talent this offseason between Free agency and the draft.

best case scenario for me is Jimmy G somehow gets free, we sign a top WR, a TE like Henry/OJ howard. Then I think we are back in business with our strong O-line and running game.

If Bill leaves then I’m on board with blowing it up and rebuilding from the bottom up. That includes the coaching staff too
Bill will not leave with a team not playoff caliber.

i'm hopeful that this is going to be a bounce back year. The way most people talk is as if we went 1-15. we went 7-9 with a QB who threw only 8 TD's, record high optouts, no receivers or tight ends and a tough schedule.

Now, Bill has his highest picks in years, $60million in capspace in a year with a cap reduction where many teams are over the cap and need to let go players. and in a year where there will be record QB movement. Bill can fill alot of holes and add alot of talent this offseason between Free agency and the draft.

best case scenario for me is Jimmy G somehow gets free, we sign a top WR, a TE like Henry/OJ howard. Then I think we are back in business with our strong O-line and running game.
Thank You

For the opener - IF there are fans I don't think it's out of the question that the Bucs open at Foxboro. Everyone wants to see it. The ratings would be through the roof. And there is precedent for the champ to open on the road - Ravens @ Broncos in 2013 was the opener. But there has to be fans in Gillette stadium I think for it to work. I don't know if that's going to be allowed.

Hesitate on Fuller - who knows what he will be post PEDs.

Baltimore opened on the road only because the O's would not adjust their schedule.
7 defensive backs drafted in the second round in the last 10 years and next to nothing to show for it!

bb has a lot to answer for.

Yet somehow we have the best secondary.

If anyone needs to answer for anything it's you and this insanely stupid post.

Ian

This guy needs to be penalized 15 days for crimes of stupidity against football fans.

I couldn't disagree with your take more strongly than I do. Brady's work ethic has stood out no matter what he's done for a living. That would have been noticed anywhere. So would his extremely high football IQ accuracy and quick decision making. The fact that a lot of teams, including the Patriots, passed on him in the draft is irrelevant. All 32 teams were wrong, including the Patriots. He was clearly a diamond in the rough. So much so, that he replaced a Pro Bowl QB Some team would have noticed this. It's silly to suggest that, if not for Bill, the GOAT would not have made it in the NFL. Absolute silliness. Almost as silly as the Bill/Brady debate. They both needed each other

Brady's success was inevitable because of his skillset and work ethic. Those guys selling insurance, etc didn't make it because they don't have 1/100th of Brady's gifts, not because of circumstance. With all due respect, your post is ridiculous.

Now patsfans has a real life clairvoyant in our company.

How rich would I be if did start that landscaping company 25 years ago?
Indisputable arguments no matter what side you're on in this debate:

Belichick would not be GOAT coach nor a 6 time champ without having the GOAT QB for all these years.
Belichick gave Brady his shot and set him on the path to become the greatest QB that this league will ever see.
It's reasonable to say that Belichick helped make Brady into what he is today. But he didn't do everything.
There is no such thing as a magical system that turns a sixth round draft pick QB into GOAT
GOAT QBs should get way more credit for dynasties than GOAT coaches.
You can win with a great team and an ok coach - as the 2020 Bucs proved.
You can even win a lot of games with a great team and QB and a subpar coach - as the 2009 Colts proved
But you cannot win with a subpar team even with an all time great coach - as the 2020 Patriots proved
Bad coaches are not 7-9 with a subpar team, they're more like 2-14

Actually, that's mostly disputable and mostly wrong.

The point most blatantly wrong is QB's don't deserve more credit. Superior leadership and organization is always the most important factor under conditions where parity is inferred. That's simple reality.

9. I'd like to see both Andrews and Thuney back. Again with the cap going down I'm hopeful Bill offers them decent deals. The OL was by far the best unit of this team last year. Keep the continuity.
If the market is low this year, then I would not expect Thuney to sign a long-term deal. Andrews may be more possible. As far as a one year deal, I would think that Thuney would wait and hear from other teams in the last couple of days before the season starts (when he is allowed to speak to other teams). The patriots would have had already franchised him, or not.

I would like the Pats to take a shot at Tyson Alualu. Similar to L. Guy. Hasn't missed games. Won't re-sign with Pitt, IMO, as they are strapped for cap space. Would not cost a lot. Only negative is his age.

13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 9 AFCCG victories, 6 Super Bowl victories in the span of 20 seasons /=/ next to nothing

And how more of that could have we had if bb wasn’t wasting all those second round picks???

if some of those were quality wide receivers or tight ends would Brady have stayed?

again bb has a lot to answer for!

7 defensive backs drafted in the second round in the last 10 years and next to nothing to show for it!

bb has a lot to answer for.

I don’t really understand the criticism here. The Patriots have scouted defensive backs very well and invested a lot of draft capital in them. That itself basically proves the second round failures of more of an anomaly than anything. It’s akin to saying “the Patriots offense didn’t score a touchdown in nine Super Bowls so it was bad” and yet they averaged over 24ppg overall against the best defenses. Their offense was good; their DB drafting was good and UDFAs count:
  • Chung
  • McCourty
  • Ryan
  • Harmon
  • Butler (UDFA)
  • Jackson (UDFA)
  • Dugger (looks promising)
I do believe the Jordan Richards pick was indeed worthy of criticism due to the outpouring of WTF from basically every draft pundit at the time. But overall, they’ve gotten a great group of secondary players over that time period despite using only one first round pick.

Want to crap on them? Take aim at the skill players. It isn’t just bad picks, it’s that they have no freaking clue about what they even want in a wide receiver and wasted a first round pick on a middling running back (I don’t care if Michel did well during that SB run behind that line...that’s not how to judge picks and drafting a RB in round 1 is almost always a terrible value.)

They need to blow it up and start over on offense, where they’ve drafted two good receivers in twenty years, one of them (Edelman) being on his way out in FA because the team didn’t even realize his potential after four years. They no longer have a QB who can make cheap budget, middling players into postseason heroes. They need some actual talent and they need to build around those guys.

McDaniels needs to go and Belichick needs to bring in someone whose offensive philosophy isn’t a relic of the 1970s and who knows what scouts should look for. There has been zero confidence in their WR drafting for so long because so many guys haven’t just busted but busted in such a big way, seemingly never having a chance.

I don’t really understand the criticism here. The Patriots have scouted defensive backs very well and invested a lot of draft capital in them. That itself basically proves the second round failures of more of an anomaly than anything. It’s akin to saying “the Patriots offense didn’t score a touchdown in nine Super Bowls so it was bad” and yet they averaged over 24ppg overall against the best defenses. Their offense was good; their DB drafting was good and UDFAs count:
  • Chung
  • McCourty
  • Ryan
  • Harmon
  • Butler (UDFA)
  • Jackson (UDFA)
  • Dugger (looks promising)
I do believe the Jordan Richards pick was indeed worthy of criticism due to the outpouring of WTF from basically every draft pundit at the time. But overall, they’ve gotten a great group of secondary players over that time period despite using only one first round pick.

Want to crap on them? Take aim at the skill players. It isn’t just bad picks, it’s that they have no freaking clue about what they even want in a wide receiver and wasted a first round pick on a middling running back (I don’t care if Michel did well during that SB run behind that line...that’s not how to judge picks and drafting a RB in round 1 is almost always a terrible value.)

They need to blow it up and start over on offense, where they’ve drafted two good receivers in twenty years, one of them (Edelman) being on his way out in FA because the team didn’t even realize his potential after four years. They no longer have a QB who can make cheap budget, middling players into postseason heroes. They need some actual talent and they need to build around those guys.

McDaniels needs to go and Belichick needs to bring in someone whose offensive philosophy isn’t a relic of the 1970s and who knows what scouts should look for. There has been zero confidence in their WR drafting for so long because so many guys haven’t just busted but busted in such a big way, seemingly never having a chance.

maybe our offense would not be bereft of skill position players, if we weren’t wasting tons of draft capital on worthless second round defensive backs that have contributed minimally.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back