PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Patriots

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
For 2020 I wanted Tom and the Bucs to win it all. There is now zero doubt who the QB goat is. I was ,still am to some degree, pissed at Bill for how he let the roster get this bad and pushed out the GOAT when it didn't have to be this way. That said Bill is Bill for good and bad. To his credit he does what he believes is right and the critics can sit on a flagpole.

I do at this point think everyone is universally piling on because he's been such a prick to the media and the rest of the. Bill couldn't have predicted Covid and with the opt outs, preseason workouts, training camp and the preseason this team would have been better. Yes everyone had to deal with it but very few teams with a new starting QB and a lack of talent around him. Granted Bill screwed the pooch having Stidham and Newton.

On to 2021

1. I now want Bill to redeem himself and win a title in the next couple of years. I don't think it will be this year however if the opt outs come back and with the 160+ million they have to spend coupled with a lot of veterans being released due to the cap implications I do expect they're going to get much better in a hurry.

2. They have to find two QBs. They're going to need a bridge veteran. Maybe a Fitzmagic, Mariotta, JG, Alex Smith....not sure. I don't love any of the options and Bill isn't trading three #1's for Watson and I simply refuse to believe Wilson is actually available. The second is the long term solution. I don't see them trading up into the top 5 to get one of the top tier guys and I'm not sure anyone below that is worth a pick.

3. I pray the stadiums are allowed to be packed next year. I hope Brady gets the loudest ovation ever and chants of GOAT.

4. The Pats are lucky they have Tampa at home this year or I believe the league would stick it to the Pats and have them open in Tampa to rub it Bill's and to a lesser extent Bob's face.

5. My prediction is the Bucs are at the Pats week 2 on Sunday night. Major advantage Bucs with the ten days of rest. If I had to predict they'll open at home vs Dallas.

6. Bill has to nail this draft and I'm really hopeful at least Dugger makes that second year leap from last year's draft class.

7. Gilmore is going to be sadly mistaken if he thinks he's getting another major deal in this economic environment. Hopefully he sees the logic and they work something out but I'd bet he's traded and the Pats pick up a cap casualty like Kyle Fuller. He had an off 2020 but could be a good rebound player.

8. Von Miller, Preston Smith, Brandon Graham....there's going to be some good edge bargains.

9. I'd like to see both Andrews and Thuney back. Again with the cap going down I'm hopeful Bill offers them decent deals. The OL was by far the best unit of this team last year. Keep the continuity.

10. Higgans, Fuller, Juju...........There's going to be a ton of bargain talent at WR as well. I personally don't think Juju has the mental toughness to play here but Bill needs to vet this out and find a free agent that has closer to Welker impact than Sanu. Cory Davis is a guy who has so much talent but is so up and down. He had a great game against the Pats and I wonder if that will sway Bill.

Anyway looking forward to what others have to say. For those who keep commenting Brady doesn't play for the team.........sorry get used to it. You don't have a guy like that for 20 years and when he's gone the fan base ghosts him. Even after he retires it's not fully going away, nor should it.

For the opener - IF there are fans I don't think it's out of the question that the Bucs open at Foxboro. Everyone wants to see it. The ratings would be through the roof. And there is precedent for the champ to open on the road - Ravens @ Broncos in 2013 was the opener. But there has to be fans in Gillette stadium I think for it to work. I don't know if that's going to be allowed.

Hesitate on Fuller - who knows what he will be post PEDs.

For the opener - IF there are fans I don't think it's out of the question that the Bucs open at Foxboro. Everyone wants to see it. The ratings would be through the roof. And there is precedent for the champ to open on the road - Ravens @ Broncos in 2013 was the opener. But there has to be fans in Gillette stadium I think for it to work. I don't know if that's going to be allowed.

Hesitate on Fuller - who knows what he will be post PEDs.
The Ravens had to play on the road for logistical reasons (couldn't use their stadium that day). But I think the point is that they don't need to follow tradition. Hell, the 2019 Patriots got screwed out of their kickoff game so the ****ing Bears could play the Packers.

Personally, I don't think BB needs any redemption.

Here's my take on the Did-Brady-Make-Belichick argument:
In 2000, Brady was the 199th pick in the draft. Looking at the QBs selected immediately before Brady, it doesn't seem that many teams considered Brady to be draftable. Looking at his combine photo and workout, it's no wonder. If the Patriots don't draft him in the 6th, they probably take him in the 7th. If they don't, it's quite possible that he goes undrafted. As an undrafted free agent, he's a camp arm for somebody--he probably gets cut, or maybe makes someone's practice squad for a year or so. Perhaps as likely, he's selling insurance with his dad by 2001.

In a move that I don't recall being done before or since, BB keeps four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster in 2000. He's the 53rd guy on one of the worst teams in the league. In the off-season, the Patriots sign Damon Huard to be Bledsoe's backup. In training camp, BB promotes Brady to #2, over the guy he signed to be the backup. A lot of coaches wouldn't do this. After Bledsoe gets hurt and Brady steps in, BB sticks with Brady even though Bledsoe has recovered. At the time Bledsoe was one of the highest-paid players in the league. With most sports franchises, the pecking order is: (1) owner; (2) franchise player, and (3) GM and/or coach. The Patriots at the time were no different. Twenty years later and Brady's success seems inevitable in retrospect, but it really wasn't. There are plenty of guys out there coaching in high school, selling cars, working in gyms, or selling insurance who could have made it in the NFL if things had broken differently in their lives. This didn't happen to Brady and he has one guy to thank among all others.

For 2020 I wanted Tom and the Bucs to win it all. There is now zero doubt who the QB goat is. I was ,still am to some degree, pissed at Bill for how he let the roster get this bad and pushed out the GOAT when it didn't have to be this way. That said Bill is Bill for good and bad. To his credit he does what he believes is right and the critics can sit on a flagpole.

I do at this point think everyone is universally piling on because he's been such a prick to the media and the rest of the. Bill couldn't have predicted Covid and with the opt outs, preseason workouts, training camp and the preseason this team would have been better. Yes everyone had to deal with it but very few teams with a new starting QB and a lack of talent around him. Granted Bill screwed the pooch having Stidham and Newton.

On to 2021

1. I now want Bill to redeem himself and win a title in the next couple of years. I don't think it will be this year however if the opt outs come back and with the 160+ million they have to spend coupled with a lot of veterans being released due to the cap implications I do expect they're going to get much better in a hurry.

2. They have to find two QBs. They're going to need a bridge veteran. Maybe a Fitzmagic, Mariotta, JG, Alex Smith....not sure. I don't love any of the options and Bill isn't trading three #1's for Watson and I simply refuse to believe Wilson is actually available. The second is the long term solution. I don't see them trading up into the top 5 to get one of the top tier guys and I'm not sure anyone below that is worth a pick.

3. I pray the stadiums are allowed to be packed next year. I hope Brady gets the loudest ovation ever and chants of GOAT.

4. The Pats are lucky they have Tampa at home this year or I believe the league would stick it to the Pats and have them open in Tampa to rub it Bill's and to a lesser extent Bob's face.

5. My prediction is the Bucs are at the Pats week 2 on Sunday night. Major advantage Bucs with the ten days of rest. If I had to predict they'll open at home vs Dallas.

6. Bill has to nail this draft and I'm really hopeful at least Dugger makes that second year leap from last year's draft class.

7. Gilmore is going to be sadly mistaken if he thinks he's getting another major deal in this economic environment. Hopefully he sees the logic and they work something out but I'd bet he's traded and the Pats pick up a cap casualty like Kyle Fuller. He had an off 2020 but could be a good rebound player.

8. Von Miller, Preston Smith, Brandon Graham....there's going to be some good edge bargains.

9. I'd like to see both Andrews and Thuney back. Again with the cap going down I'm hopeful Bill offers them decent deals. The OL was by far the best unit of this team last year. Keep the continuity.

10. Higgans, Fuller, Juju...........There's going to be a ton of bargain talent at WR as well. I personally don't think Juju has the mental toughness to play here but Bill needs to vet this out and find a free agent that has closer to Welker impact than Sanu. Cory Davis is a guy who has so much talent but is so up and down. He had a great game against the Pats and I wonder if that will sway Bill.

Anyway looking forward to what others have to say. For those who keep commenting Brady doesn't play for the team.........sorry get used to it. You don't have a guy like that for 20 years and when he's gone the fan base ghosts him. Even after he retires it's not fully going away, nor should it.
There was already zero doubt about Tom being the Goat. This changes nothing. The haters will still hate. They never cared about reality. They are not going to start now.
Two QBs? If they can't acquire an above average veteran I don't want them reaching in the draft, too many holes on this roster. I am fine with a bridge veteran until they can find someone they believe in. Would love to see Wilson here but he wants say in personnel matters. He's not getting that from any well run franchise, especially here.

I want no part of Juu. at any price. He's soft, immature and wasn't very good last year.

In order for Bill to win one in the next couple of years we would need to have a 1995 type draft two years in a row. And he is going to have figure out how to improve at picking WRs. In addition to, obviously, figuring out the QB. We don't need a top 3 QB, just a top 10 QB to win it all, maybe even a top 15. An above average QB who is mentally tough and smart.

Gilmore was the best CB in football just two years ago. Somebody will overpay. They always do. There's always at least one dumb team out there.

In 2000, Brady was the 199th pick in the draft. Looking at the QBs selected immediately before Brady, it doesn't seem that many teams considered Brady to be draftable. Looking at his combine photo and workout, it's no wonder. If the Patriots don't draft him in the 6th, they probably take him in the 7th. If they don't, it's quite possible that he goes undrafted. As an undrafted free agent, he's a camp arm for somebody--he probably gets cut, or maybe makes someone's practice squad for a year or so. Perhaps as likely, he's selling insurance with his dad by 2001.

In a move that I don't recall being done before or since, BB keeps four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster in 2000. He's the 53rd guy on one of the worst teams in the league. In the off-season, the Patriots sign Damon Huard to be Bledsoe's backup. In training camp, BB promotes Brady to #2, over the guy he signed to be the backup. A lot of coaches wouldn't do this. After Bledsoe gets hurt and Brady steps in, BB sticks with Brady even though Bledsoe has recovered. At the time Bledsoe was one of the highest-paid players in the league. With most sports franchises, the pecking order is: (1) owner; (2) franchise player, and (3) GM and/or coach. The Patriots at the time were no different. Twenty years later and Brady's success seems inevitable in retrospect, but it really wasn't. There are plenty of guys out there coaching in high school, selling cars, working in gyms, or selling insurance who could have made it in the NFL if things had broken differently in their lives. This didn't happen to Brady and he has one guy to thank among all others.
Indisputable arguments no matter what side you're on in this debate:

Belichick would not be GOAT coach nor a 6 time champ without having the GOAT QB for all these years.
Belichick gave Brady his shot and set him on the path to become the greatest QB that this league will ever see.
It's reasonable to say that Belichick helped make Brady into what he is today. But he didn't do everything.
There is no such thing as a magical system that turns a sixth round draft pick QB into GOAT
GOAT QBs should get way more credit for dynasties than GOAT coaches.
You can win with a great team and an ok coach - as the 2020 Bucs proved.
You can even win a lot of games with a great team and QB and a subpar coach - as the 2009 Colts proved
But you cannot win with a subpar team even with an all time great coach - as the 2020 Patriots proved
Bad coaches are not 7-9 with a subpar team, they're more like 2-14

It doesn't matter what you personally think of BB needing redemption. I don't mean that as a slight. The fact is the narrative going forward if nothing changes is always going to be Tom carried Bill especially if Bill goes somewhere near .500 with no playoffs or even a couple of one and done appearances over the next few years.

There was already zero doubt about Tom being the Goat. This changes nothing. The haters will still hate. They never cared about reality. They are not going to start now.
Two QBs? If they can't acquire an above average veteran I don't want them reaching in the draft, too many holes on this roster. I am fine with a bridge veteran until they can find someone they believe in. Would love to see Wilson here but he wants say in personnel matters. He's not getting that from any well run franchise, especially here.

I want no part of Juu. at any price. He's soft, immature and wasn't very good last year.

In order for Bill to win one in the next couple of years we would need to have a 1995 type draft two years in a row. And he is going to have figure out how to improve at picking WRs. In addition to, obviously, figuring out the QB. We don't need a top 3 QB, just a top 10 QB to win it all, maybe even a top 15. An above average QB who is mentally tough and smart.

Gilmore was the best CB in football just two years ago. Somebody will overpay. They always do. There's always at least one dumb team out there.

People were already saying if Mahomes won he was the GOAT in waiting.

Agree on not reaching for a QB.

Mostly agree on Juju. My one thought is that in a locker room with Edelman he can learn to become a real pro.

With all their cap space if he can just draft solidly I think they're in good shape assuming you can solve the QB situation which is really what is ultimately going to determine if he'll do it or not.

You're most likely correct about Gilmore.

I couldn't disagree with your take more strongly than I do. Brady's work ethic has stood out no matter what he's done for a living. That would have been noticed anywhere. So would his extremely high football IQ accuracy and quick decision making. The fact that a lot of teams, including the Patriots, passed on him in the draft is irrelevant. All 32 teams were wrong, including the Patriots. He was clearly a diamond in the rough. So much so, that he replaced a Pro Bowl QB Some team would have noticed this. It's silly to suggest that, if not for Bill, the GOAT would not have made it in the NFL. Absolute silliness. Almost as silly as the Bill/Brady debate. They both needed each other

Brady's success was inevitable because of his skillset and work ethic. Those guys selling insurance, etc didn't make it because they don't have 1/100th of Brady's gifts, not because of circumstance. With all due respect, your post is ridiculous.

I couldn't disagree with your take more strongly than I do. Brady's work ethic has stood out no matter what he's done for a living. That would have been noticed anywhere. So would his extremely high football IQ accuracy and quick decision making. The fact that a lot of teams, including the Patriots, passed on him in the draft is irrelevant. All 32 teams were wrong, including the Patriots. He was clearly a diamond in the rough. So much so, that he replaced a Pro Bowl QB Some team would have noticed this. It's silly to suggest that, if not for Bill, the GOAT would not have made it in the NFL. Absolute silliness. Almost as silly as the Bill/Brady debate. They both needed each other

Brady's success was inevitable because of his skillset and work ethic. Those guys selling insurance, etc didn't make it because they don't have 1/100th of Brady's gifts, not because of circumstance. With all due respect, your post is ridiculous.
Due to his work ethic and desire, I think Brady would have eventually made it as well. But I think his career path would look more like Kurt Warner’s than his actual path. Some dumb coach would have cut him at some point, even multiple. Once he got a shot, some dumb coach would have benched him when he was winning to put the starter back in. He might have had to play in the CFL for a while. It might have taken him longer to understand the finer details of film review because BB wasn’t around to teach him. It might have taken him longer to truly understand ball control importance because he may have had a coach that didn’t care about it compared who BB who ingrained it. But he would have gotten there eventually. But BB was perfect for him.

Similarly, Belichick would have eventually become a winner without Brady. Shoot, he started winning with Vinny Testeverde; they took a step back the next year mostly due to the Modell fiasco impacting everyone (for those that were’t around, this was the worst franchise move reaction during my lifetime - nothing like the recent Rams, Raiders, and Chargers moves. This dominated the sports pages - and the real US newspapers - for months). But Brady was exactly the guy that fit the mold of what BB wanted, right down to his unparalleled desire to improve and win. But you can’t win with chopped liver no matter how good of a HC you are. Let’s hope he can find someone halfway decent this year at least.

You're contradicting yourself. One one hand you're saying that Bill did the unthinkable (keeping 4 QBs) to keep Brady on the roster and on the other you're claiming that Brady would maybe make a roster, get cut in a year or two and be selling insurance.

The person who saw what the future could be with Brady was **** Rehbein, even claiming that in 20 years everyone would know his name. It's too bad that Bill didn't recognize what we had when he let him go.

On to 2021

Good job. Hadn't thought about those 3 edge guys, good pickups if they don't want premium money. There were several receivers, I thought Rashard Higgins really came through for the Browns. High on Samuel and Davis.

I will start by saying I badly believe Bill needs to make the playoffs this year or at least go 10-6 if they somehow miss the playoffs. Not for me or for the pundits, he needs to do it to keep the locker room and the belief that he can be the focal point of this team without Brady. If this year doesn't go well, and he loses that, I don't see us getting back to relevance without a massive reset that may well involve the head coach. Perception matters, particularly from the players and FAs. They aren't going to take discounts to be here or even the same amount to be here if they don't believe they will win. If they think they have about the same chance at other locations the tax situation and BB bein a perceived hard ass losses. So this is a vital season. The fact they didn't set more ground work in 2020 for this one is troubling in some ways (like hitting in the draft or getting a promising young QB), but at least they have cap space.

Here is how I would build this team for 2021. We have about 68M in cap space. (g = Guaranteed)

Sign G -Thuney 5 year 71M 30g (11, 14, 14, 16, 16)
Sign C - Andrews 4 year 27M 12g (6, 6, 7, 8)
Sign RB - White 4 year 21M 12g (4, 5, 6, 5)
Sign RB - Burkhead 2 year 7M 3g (3, 4) <First year fully guaranteed and then see about next year>
Sign CB - McCourty 2 year 10M 6g (5, 5)
Sign CB - Jackson 2 year 25M 12g (9, 16) <I think the team wants to see 1 more year. And he'll take it for this leverage of having 3M dead next yr. It also allows him to be an UFA if cut next year>
Sign DI - Guy 3 year 16M 8g (5, 5, 6)

These would be the only players I have the pats making a point to resign. They may go for a guy like Jakobi Johnson or Byrd, but I don't see them being much above minimum contracts so I don't worry about them. This is a total of 43M out of the 68M And these contracts aren't even that back loaded. It's very possible they can get the same players for only 40M this year or maybe a bit less. This is how I'd do the rest of FA.

Sign TE - OJ Howard or Brate 2 year 14M 8g (6, 8) <Tampa will cut one most likely. Pick them up. If they keep both sign Jared Cook. You need name recognition at your skill positions Gerald Everett is also an option>
Sign TE - Tyler Eifert -2 years 5M 2g (2, 3) <He's been healthy the last 2 years and will be cheap with good upside.>
Sign WR - Curtis Samuel 3 year 24M 15g (7, 8, 9)
Sign WR - Josh Reynold 2 year 9M 5g (4, 5)

This gives gives you an offense with a good OL and options, though no show stoppers. Hopefully Meyers, Edelman and Harry can be decent and make the core at least deep. I don't see them over paying 16m for a #1 who isn't a true difference maker.

After that their draft should look something like this:

QB - Get one of the top 4. Trade up if you have to. You need to take a shot here. after that I don't care much. But for the love of God, don't get Fitzmagic or Jimmy G. Give the fanbase a guy who can at least give up hope like Zach Wilson or Lance or someone.

Anybody else hearing Miami plans to go hard after Andrews?

7 defensive backs drafted in the second round in the last 10 years and next to nothing to show for it!

bb has a lot to answer for.

13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 9 AFCCG victories, 6 Super Bowl victories in the span of 20 seasons /=/ next to nothing

If Bill leaves then I’m on board with blowing it up and rebuilding from the bottom up. That includes the coaching staff too

Last edited:
I will start by saying I badly believe Bill needs to make the playoffs this year or at least go 10-6 if they somehow miss the playoffs. Not for me or for the pundits, he needs to do it to keep the locker room and the belief that he can be the focal point of this team without Brady. If this year doesn't go well, and he loses that, I don't see us getting back to relevance without a massive reset that may well involve the head coach. Perception matters, particularly from the players and FAs. They aren't going to take discounts to be here or even the same amount to be here if they don't believe they will win. If they think they have about the same chance at other locations the tax situation and BB bein a perceived hard ass losses. So this is a vital season. The fact they didn't set more ground work in 2020 for this one is troubling in some ways (like hitting in the draft or getting a promising young QB), but at least they have cap space.

Here is how I would build this team for 2021. We have about 68M in cap space. (g = Guaranteed)

Sign G -Thuney 5 year 71M 30g (11, 14, 14, 16, 16)
Sign C - Andrews 4 year 27M 12g (6, 6, 7, 8)
Sign RB - White 4 year 21M 12g (4, 5, 6, 5)
Sign RB - Burkhead 2 year 7M 3g (3, 4) <First year fully guaranteed and then see about next year>
Sign CB - McCourty 2 year 10M 6g (5, 5)
Sign CB - Jackson 2 year 25M 12g (9, 16) <I think the team wants to see 1 more year. And he'll take it for this leverage of having 3M dead next yr. It also allows him to be an UFA if cut next year>
Sign DI - Guy 3 year 16M 8g (5, 5, 6)

These would be the only players I have the pats making a point to resign. They may go for a guy like Jakobi Johnson or Byrd, but I don't see them being much above minimum contracts so I don't worry about them. This is a total of 43M out of the 68M And these contracts aren't even that back loaded. It's very possible they can get the same players for only 40M this year or maybe a bit less. This is how I'd do the rest of FA.

Sign TE - OJ Howard or Brate 2 year 14M 8g (6, 8) <Tampa will cut one most likely. Pick them up. If they keep both sign Jared Cook. You need name recognition at your skill positions Gerald Everett is also an option>
Sign TE - Tyler Eifert -2 years 5M 2g (2, 3) <He's been healthy the last 2 years and will be cheap with good upside.>
Sign WR - Curtis Samuel 3 year 24M 15g (7, 8, 9)
Sign WR - Josh Reynold 2 year 9M 5g (4, 5)

This gives gives you an offense with a good OL and options, though no show stoppers. Hopefully Meyers, Edelman and Harry can be decent and make the core at least deep. I don't see them over paying 16m for a #1 who isn't a true difference maker.

After that their draft should look something like this:

QB - Get one of the top 4. Trade up if you have to. You need to take a shot here. after that I don't care much. But for the love of God, don't get Fitzmagic or Jimmy G. Give the fanbase a guy who can at least give up hope like Zach Wilson or Lance or someone.

1613219445178.gif

I would be very unhappy if that is how BB and co. end up spending their 60M+ cap space.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back