PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time those people start making the jump to Bucs boards and that thread gets locked. It's been a year and those people have proven they are pro-Tom & anti-Bill So why should they continue to have a place on here to do their Brady worshipping and Belichick damning and no I'm not saying you can't criticize Bill but when you start a thread whining because the mods locked a toxic Belichick hate thread, maybe time to move on from here.

What I dont get is that Ian even created a sub board for them to put a lid on trolling and toxicity and keep it in quarantined there. And yet somehow this **** keeps spilling over to the mainboard where most posters have moved on and dont give a **** about the Bucs or what Brady is up to in 2021.

What I dont get is that Ian even created a sub board for them to put a lid on trolling and toxicity and keep it in quarantined there. And yet somehow this **** keeps spilling over to the mainboard where most posters have moved on and dont give a **** about the Bucs or what Brady is up to in 2021.
Malcolm Butler signed with the Cards. Let's you and I become Cards fans and talk about their team on the main board.

Brady consistently took under market contracts, thus losing money to help this team be better, while Bill has needed to be the top paid coach.

I am so sick of these stupid posts. Look here: Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

Brady was NOT UNDERPAID. And again - in 2010, Tom Brady was the highest paid player in the NFL.

Lastly, just to show you how stupid this is, look at Brady's "salary" next year with the Bucs: $1,075,000. Ooooooo... look at those Bucs underpaying Brady!! Didn't they learn anything from what the Patriots did to him?

I've been saying this a while now. Brady doesn't give AF about the Pats or the Bucs. He only cares about whatever team gets him the next ring. I guarantee you that if the Bucs didn't re-sign all their players that he would be incredibly moody now. The guy has no loyalty to anything except his family, rings, and current/former teammates

I did like how for weeks those posters were saying James White was a sure signing for the Bucs then when he re-signed with the Pats out came the excuses.

Hurt the "no one wants to play in NE without Brady" narrative. Which was a fecking embarrassment by those posters because it was something that blowhard rex ryan said

Last edited:
Id welcome a new Tom & Bill thread every day if that would prevent EVERY thread becoming Tom & Bill thread. It is so tiring.

Its not a problem to have Tom & Bill threads on main board. The problem is people who want to have continuous, focused discussions on other topics have nowhere to go bc every thread gets derailed sooner or later.

And Tom hasn't even been a GM yet :)

Get this nonsense out of the Tom vs. Bill thread!

Huh? What? This is the Free Agency thread?! Jesus...

Well, in that case, good! I would like him to stick around beyond this season if possible. He was still good last year, it just didn't feel like it at times because A) He was LIGHTS OUT the year before, so it was always going to look a little worse compared to that, and B) It's harder to provide consistent value as a shutdown corner when you're facing mostly 3rd and 2's because the run defense is porous.

Now that my next top 3 WRs - Willie Snead, Demarcus Robinson & Adam Humphries - have all been signed recently, the best-available WR for us still on the market might be...Damiere Byrd? Hey why not, since Scam is still here and Curtis Samuel isn't...Shouldn't take much more than the vet minimum with little guaranteed plus some moderate incentives...

Now that my next top 3 WRs - Willie Snead, Demarcus Robinson & Adam Humphries - have all been signed recently, the best-available WR for us still on the market might be...Damiere Byrd? Hey why not, since Scam is still here and Curtis Samuel isn't...Shouldn't take much more than the vet minimum with little guaranteed plus some moderate incentives...
I'm more of a fan of getting a Wr in this historically good Wr class.

We have Nelson, Bourne, Edelman, Myers. Give me a rookie in round 2 or 3 to compete with that group. Just find out who the Steelers scout is and pay him for info.

We have Nelson, Bourne, Edelman, Myers. Give me a rookie in round 2 or 3 to compete with that group. Just find out who the Steelers scout is and pay him for info.

Assuming Byrd doesn't have any great offers elsewhere, it could be a good opportunity to do both. Byrd becomes your floor, a guy you know understands the system, plays well with Cam, and had moderate success despite getting more focus from defenses than he normally would. He's also a reasonable "speed" backup to Agholor, not as fast but allows you to run similar plays if Nelson is hurt or getting a breather.

Then you draft someone, and if he beats out Byrd, it's not like you're cutting a long term commitment. There's no where to go but up in that scenario.

I think we're good on depth for now. What we need is someone with real potential to rise above our mass of #2/#3 receivers and take the top role, and I don't see Byrd or any other FA being that guy. Gotta look to the draft.

Also, I saw that WLB Jordan Evans re-signed with the Bungles...I liked him as a borderline top-150 prospect in 2017, and thought he was the best-available LB after Matt Milano was taken by Barfalo at 163, courtesy of the Pats & Mike Gillislee...While his snaps on defense have declined, he was a core member of their big-4 STs units...

"While he’s only played 961 snaps on defense, Evans has played 1,058 snaps on special teams and has established himself as one of their best players in that unit. In 2020, Evans finished with a 77.6 Pro Football Focus special teams grade last year, the third-highest on the Bengals. Their highest-graded special teamer, Cethan Carter, left for the Miami Dolphins earlier in March."

"Originally a 2017 sixth-round draft pick of the Bengals, Evans in '19 served as a valuable contributor on special teams and reserve linebacker on defense ... Played in all 16 games in 2019, and saw action on 68.6 percent of special teams snaps (second on team) while recording six special teams tackles (tied for third on team) ... Also saw 76 snaps on defense, and recorded six tackles and a PD ... Enters 2020 with 45 career games played, 98 tackles, 1.5 sacks, six PDs and an INT on defense, along with 13 tackles on special teams."

And unlike that old, useless, never-was pile of poo Reynolds, he has youth & athleticism at a position (Will LB) where we Still have absolutely Nothing...

I wouldn’t bring Damiere Byrd back just yet but I like him as a fallback option if anything happens to one of the vets in the meantime. I’d prefer to invest one of those 10 draft picks on a wide receiver, just have to hope we don’t draft another jag. Nico Collins and D’Wayne Eskridge are some 2nd-3rd round options I like, and I’ve mentioned Ihmir Smith-Marsette as a late round sleeper.

Get this nonsense out of the Tom vs. Bill thread!

Huh? What? This is the Free Agency thread?! Jesus...

Well, in that case, good! I would like him to stick around beyond this season if possible. He was still good last year, it just didn't feel like it at times because A) He was LIGHTS OUT the year before, so it was always going to look a little worse compared to that, and B) It's harder to provide consistent value as a shutdown corner when you're facing mostly 3rd and 2's because the run defense is porous.
I actually looked to see if I clicked the Tom v Bill thread. Cheezus.
frustrated jack nicholson GIF

I think we're good on depth for now. What we need is someone with real potential to rise above our mass of #2/#3 receivers and take the top role, and I don't see Byrd or any other FA being that guy. Gotta look to the draft.

I dig that; in fact I want Bill to Double-dip at WR this year if at all possible...Once during the first 3 rounds, and once again during the last 3...like he should've done in 2019...

I wouldn’t bring Damiere Byrd back just yet but I like him as a fallback option if anything happens to one of the vets in the meantime. I’d prefer to invest one of those 10 draft picks on a wide receiver, just have to hope we don’t draft another jag. Nico Collins and D’Wayne Eskridge are some 2nd-3rd round options I like, and I’ve mentioned Ihmir Smith-Marsette as a late round sleeper.
How about Amon-Ra St. Brown at 96.

How about Amon-Ra St. Brown at 96.
He would be a massive steal for us if he fell that far, absolutely! Sadly I think he helped his stock with his pro day and may be gone long before then.

I dig that; in fact I want Bill to Double-dip at WR this year if at all possible...Once during the first 3 rounds, and once again during the last 3...like he should've done in 2019...
I don't get it. Y'all think that the patriots are any good at drafting wide receivers. I suppose that they could go to fan sites from other teams and see who they are interested in.

If we have a 2nd or 3rd, I suspect that it will be important that Gilmore, Jackson and McCourty are all in their last year. DB is much, much more likely (and reasonable) than a WR to compete with Meyers. Besides, no rookie will learn our system in their first year.

He would be a massive steal for us if he fell that far, absolutely!
I think we need to make some trades to move up into the 70s in round 3. There'll be a lot of good talent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots