PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
trying to square the circles that dont exist again? :)

259 picks are now official in 2021 Draft .. would be 261 if not for the 2 forfeited (NE 3rd, MIN 7th)

After correcting mistake of taking away one from NE, they decided to keep 33 Comps this year
+4 additional Special “minority“ Comps were awarded in 3rd round.

Actually, No. You just make that sort of assumption despite what reality actually is.

I made a mistake with my math (it happens occasionally) because it's normally the equivalent of 8 rounds of 32. 7 normal rounds and 1 round of comp picks. So, my thinking was 256 (not 252).

Surprised we haven’t heard much about White. Is his market slow? Is he deliberately slow playing it? Is he debating between the Pats, Bucs, and/or others? Curious to find out.
I don’t see a better third down back. I’m hoping they are letting him see what’s out there and bring him back for reasonable money. If not, who fills that spot? Burkhead? It is one of the few open spots.

If you are a liability when blocking, BB won't make you a priority.
1. Protection
2. Run routes precisely catch the ball
3. Running

Taylor can run and catch but I don’t want him between my qb and a blitzing lb.

RB Leonard Fournette
RB James Connor (short money)
RB Duke Johnson
DT Jurrell Casey
DT Akiem Hicks (trade/release-restructure)
DE/DT Clowney (short money...INT sub rush)
WR TY Hilton (short money)
WR Sammy Watkins (short money)
LB KJ Wright
DE Aldon Smith (short money)
DT Geno Atkins (short money...INT sub rush)
DT Kawaan Short (short money... INT sub rush)

I would like to add Trent Taylor for the veteran minimum. Humphries is another obvious one but I wonder if his concussion issues are going to be an ongoing concern.

Fournette would be nasty then trade Sony Michel to some team for a third. Or a decent wideout.

I don’t see a better third down back. I’m hoping they are letting him see what’s out there and bring him back for reasonable money. If not, who fills that spot? Burkhead? It is one of the few open spots.
Agreed. There were stories during 2020 that Fears was high on JJ Taylor, but I can’t imagine they would just give him the job with no competition. Even if they draft someone (the draft seems deep in 3rd down backs), the odds of the Pats trusting that rookie in pass protection in year 1 is very low. I think there’s another free agent move coming here, even if it’s just cheap competition for Taylor. Hopefully it’s a White re-signing....

Duke Johnson would fit the bill.

They'd find better RBs in the 3rd round of this year's draft - picks are valuable and especially so if trying to trade for a RB on the last year of his deal.
There are so many good running backs in this draft, but hard to know who might be the best of those projected after the 1st. They might go anywhere. Who knows: Gainwell, Hubbard, Trey Sermon, Patterson, Herbert, Stevenson, etc. We might see a good number of RBs drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3