PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with building heavily on free agency is that the fact you have to (and can) sign many expensive players means you don’t have many already.
The laughingstock big spenders were the teams in the vicious cycle of making bad big money decisions, continuing to stink, then getting rid of that crew and missing on a whole new crew. See Jete, NJ

The other mistake is paying a player past his prime based upon his prime then having him through his decline

All of this is true, but the cycle you're describing is pretty much exclusively caused by the "other mistake". I think this team has done a good job of targeting young players with potential beyond their prior production. Some teams really just aren't afraid to throw big, long term contracts at players in their 30s, and it goes about as well as you would expect.

Looks like the chiefs are interested in trent williams and kyle long. So much for their cap issues.

Nothing will sell the fan base on that. No matter what the Pats give up, the Texans fans will think they could have gotten more from someone else.

It would be career suicide for Caserio.

The Dolphins would have the best offer, as they have a young promising QB, the #3 pick this year. That's a much better starting offer than anything the Pats can offer.

I don't agree with it being career suicide. He won't get fired after one year no matter what he did with Watson. If he was able to turn the team around in a year or two, then he would be fine. People have short memories.

I still don't see the Texans trading Watson to the Patriots, but I don't buy "this would end Caserio's career as GM before it really started".

I think my preference is that Watson and Wilson aren't traded even to the Patriots. I think the second one of those guys shoots their way out of town, it could create a domino effect where all the top players in the league who aren't happy with their situation shoot their way out of town and the NFL turns into the NBA.
Originally I didn’t like the way Watson acted but if he feels that his owner is racist or comes from racist heritage and embraces that.
I applaud him for standing up to that and not just smiling getting a check and shutting his mouth.
In the case of Wilson they have put a lot of weapons around him the OL hasn’t played well or been heavily invested in.
I’m my mind Watson has more of a reason for wanting out than Wilson.
Knowing the man you get your money from and you make tons of money for thinks less of you because of your skin and who your ancestors are.
Is disgusting and anybody with a ounce of respect would want out.

Only one signing today? Man, I feel let down...

I

I think the Watson situation is warranted enough all things considered.

But I agree on Russell Wilson.

I don't think it is warranted even in the Watson situation. He signed a long term contract. Sure contracts in the NFL are one sided, but he agreed to take a lot of money from the Texans. He could have just made them franchise him year after year until they ran out of franchise tag options, refused to tag him, or tag and traded him. Just because they hired a turd to run the organization doesn't change his contract situation.

I don't think it is warranted even in the Watson situation. He signed a long term contract. Sure contracts in the NFL are one sided, but he agreed to take a lot of money from the Texans. He could have just made them franchise him year after year until they ran out of franchise tag options, refused to tag him, or tag and traded him. Just because they hired a turd to run the organization doesn't change his contract situation.
Actually I think the racism stuff came out after he signed.

Originally I didn’t like the way Watson acted but if he feels that his owner is racist or comes from racist heritage and embraces that.
I applaud him for standing up to that and not just smiling getting a check and shutting his mouth.
In the case of Wilson they have put a lot of weapons around him the OL hasn’t played well or been heavily invested in.
Knowing the man you get your money from and you make tons of money for thinks less of you because of your skin and who your ancestors are.

I thought it was because Watson hates the guy they hired to run the team and upset they hired Caserio without informing him. I don't know anything about racism from the owner being the issue. If it is, I guess I haven't followed the situation close enough.

Edit: Giardi retweeted a fake account

Actually I think the racism stuff came out after he signed.

If that is the case, it is different. I thought this was more about him being upset with management and him not being informed or included in Caserio's signing.

I think my preference is that Watson and Wilson aren't traded even to the Patriots. I think the second one of those guys shoots their way out of town, it could create a domino effect where all the top players in the league who aren't happy with their situation shoot their way out of town and the NFL turns into the NBA.
I have mixed feelings on that one. I hate what the NBA has become in that regard.

However, if teams can just trade a player when that player no longer suits them, then why can't a player force his way out when that team no longer suits them?

In essence I agree with you, but I do see the other side of the argument as well

Even beyond the racism accusations, which I haven't seen but would not doubt, there are innumerable football reasons that a star player would want out of that dumpster fire in Houston. Absolutely nothing has taken place over the last few years to show me that franchise has any intention of improving, and if I'm a star QB, I would fear that I'd never get a ring for as long as I play there. The front office operates almost exclusively on nepotism and makes the wrong decision about most things on every scale.

The one thing I will say to counter all of that is Watson signed an extension not too long ago, and he could have simply just not done that. He played himself in a big way and now has very little leverage despite his grievances being extremely justified.

I thought it was because Watson hates the guy they hired to run the team and upset they hired Caserio without informing him. I don't know anything about racism from the owner being the issue. If it is, I guess I haven't followed the situation close enough.
Yea, racism from whom exactly? Why are we throwing out accusations without concrete information?

Agreed the nba is unwatchable with that **** and there product. But ya there’s a better chance I get offered the starting job before houston trades Watson to NE

If that is the case, it is different. I thought this was more about him being upset with management and him not being informed or included in Caserio's signing.
I mean he was on board with the franchise even with McNair’s dubious history, so he had a sense of patience. It was clear something went way deeper in him understanding how the organization is being run. I think he realized what he’s caught in the middle of right now.

This is a different level of corruption and incompetence. Andre Johnson called it out, and he’s normally dead silent.

I have mixed feelings on that one. I hate what the NBA has become in that regard.

However, if teams can just trade a player when that player no longer suits them, then why can't a player force his way out when that team no longer suits them?

In essence I agree with you, but I do see the other side of the argument as well

Disagree I don’t see teams trading a guy a year into a deal being signed. The pampered nba players get there money and want out 5 months later absolutely absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down