PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Mock Drafts

According to Tankathon | 2021 NFL Draft Order Pats are drafting 14th with one week left.
If the Pats lose to the NYJ and the right teams win, NE can move up in the draft a few more slots.
For argument sakes, lets slot NE at #12
#12 gets NE in reasonable striking distance for the second tier of round 1 QBs after the initial flurry.
My gut tells me Bill would be willing to use 3rd rd picks to move up, not 2nds

And based only on the 2021 NFL Mock Draft | Tankathon that does not list a single DT getting drafted in round 1......

Pats go...
Rd 1 QB.........a rare opportunity for NE to be in position to get a blue chipper
Rd 2 DT..........quality should still be on the board

2 problems solved
This is easy
are there any QB blue chipper beside TL? not sure about that

are there any QB blue chipper beside TL? not sure about that
I've expanded :cool:the blue chip pool beyond the "one every decade" club of Manning, Luck, and Lawrence
I edited....'stealth blue chippers' ....with Aaron Rodgers as de facto President

CBS now have us taking Mac Jones at 15. He's my second favourite QB in the entire draft class after Lawrence, so I'd be happy with that. They also have Miami taking Micah Parsons at 3, which would be super annoying...

NBC have us taking Zack Wilson, who I prefer to Fields, Trask or Lance but still feel he has huge bust potential.

Last edited:
Dont think I will advance much further than the Draft network mock draft simulator.....lol

I've expanded :cool:the blue chip pool beyond the "one every decade" club of Manning, Luck, and Lawrence
I edited....'stealth blue chippers' ....with Aaron Rodgers as de facto President

the original franchise qb was elway!
Then came Peyton, followed by luck. Both of whom had qb’s ffathers.

What Lawrence has done thus far in his career puts him ahead of luck and Peyton in my book.

I doubt anybody could ever surpass elway!

Starting to see Trey Lance and Mac Jones a little more in some of the mock drafts. Most are still pointing at Pitts/Smith/Waddle etc

Will be interesting to see how Draftniks like BGC grade Mac Jones. As somebody who doesn't follow college sports and going only by scouting reports online (which are still limited since we are still some way off the draft), I'm not quite sure if his profile really represents the best value at where the Patriots will be picking even considering the positional value of the QB position.

The couple of reports I saw lists as his strengths and weaknesses:
+ High accuracy on short/medium type of throws
+ Goes cleanly through his progressions
+ Makes good decisions within the scheme
+ Mechanically sound throwing motion
- Not a threat outside the pocket
- Average arm strength
- Not very accurate on deep balls

Looking at this profile this definitely sounds like somebody who could fit the Patriots' offensive scheme. However, the overall impression I got from those reports is that he is more of a high-floor / low-ceiling type of player who as a starter would need a great team around him like at Alabama to be productive. And this is also something I wonder about, how much of his success this year in college is translatable to the NFL considering just how much superior Alabama's team is compared to all their opponents, something that won't be the case in the NFL.

At Alabama he's got a) a RB who's run for over 1200 yards on a 5.9 YPC clip plus 24 TDs and b) two potential first round WRs in Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. If drafted by the Patriots he'll have a good running game, a potentially suspect pass protecting line and subpar WRs. Meaning most likely his first year is going to be a redshirt year as he sits behind a veteran QB.

To conclude, if the Patriots like in basically every year of the Brady era had a low first rounder, it might be worth a shot. But at somewhere between 12-15 where the Patriots will end up, I wonder if it were perhaps too early to take him, depending on who's still on the board.

My first attempt at a mock draft with trades. This is one scenario...View attachment 29638
Love the notebook
-----------------------
Vikings trade up for QB using significant assets?

Cousins is having a very solid season statistically. 67% 33 TDs 13 INTs 103 rating
Contract goes until '22
Given Cousins' & his agent's headstrong approach to contracts, I tend to believe both would view Fields as a threat and the locker room would be unsettled going forward. Factor in $40 mill dead money if they try to move Cousins this offseason.

Vikings immediate problem is: their D is woeful....30th in pts against
The Vikings offense is scoring enough but teams are still outscoring them

Ballsy move if management goes your route. They do have contract security.
----------------------------
SF trading up for Wilson is interesting on 2 levels

1) I view Wilson as same person as Jimmy G coming out of college
High production (1 year for Wilson) vs weak schedule
Slight frame
Not ready to step in IMO
Hard to believe SF would swap out JG for a QB who just played against Coastal Carolina.
SF has a win now roster IMO

2) Your cost to trade up entices me to wonder...... WHY NOT the PATRIOTS?
Unlike SF who I have in Win Now mode, NE is rebuilding and can afford a more measured development approach as the team rebuilds.
Not sure 210 lb Wilson is their cup of tea....but the cost to get to #7 is reasonable IMO
-----------
Your #17 trade is next level (I do wish I could read the entire trade)
Your either a genius or insane

Honestly, I’d be happy with any of the top 6 QBs available in the 1st round. Was turned off big time with Trask’s last game, he was horrendous. Every game without Pitts in the lineup, he struggled big time. There might be some correlation there.

My favorites are Lawrence (not gonna get him), Wilson (probably won’t get him), Fields (not as high on him as most, probably won’t be there for us anyway), Lance (definitely a possibility to land him), Jones (he SHOULD be available, and Trask (will be available).

I’m REALLY high on Wilson. He would transform our offense to the 21st century. He has everything I like for this Pat’s offense. Quick release, great arm, can extend plays with his feet, smart, good at reading defenses quickly, passionate about football. I think his last game, they mentioned he spoke to one of his idols, Aaron Rodgers, for an hour and a half, Rodgers actually called him. His playing style is very similar. Unfortunately I can’t see Belichick trading up to get him. In fact, all of this may be moot, Belichick might not even select a QB in the first round.

Trey Lance, I think the lack of playing time in 2020 may make him fall to us. Talent level is off the charts. One of the things I love about him is his throwing motion. Love that over the top, compact throwing motion. Obviously a great runner (if you’ve seen his highlights), so that makes the offense so unpredictable. As far back as last offseason, Lance was rated as the 2nd best QB, but after this season, he seems to have fallen behind Fields & Wilson (and obviously Lawrence). But he would certainly bring an Allen/Mahomes style of play to any offense. Would be interesting to see. Obviously Belichick doesn’t mind a running QB, as evidenced by bringing in Cam.

Jones and Trask are your typical pocket QBs, who MAY be a product of their environment. Can they play in any offense and make those teams good ? Well, Jones, when playing as Tua’s replacement in 2019, had WRs Ruggs, Smith, Waddle & Jeudy, and TE Irv Smith Jr. not to mention great RBs. Still had some great players in 2020. Trask had Pitts and Toney this year. So I’m wary of those 2 QBs.

One Qb who might be an interesting pick outside of round one is Desmond Ridder. Very interesting player. Doesn’t have the gaudy stats of the other guys. But watching him, my thoughts are, he may be a better pro than college player. He’s nowhere near his ceiling. He can sit and learn for a year or 2. Good arm, very good runner. He reminds me of Randall Cunningham as far as style of play, his running, the way he throws, even his body type. When he runs, he doesn’t look fast, but he is, it’s just that he’s a long strider, like Cunningham was. Maybe a 2nd round pick. I really think all 6 QBs go in the 1st round.

Of course a lot will be possibly changed with maybe virtual combines and virtual pro days. And though the East/West Shrine game has been cancelled, the Senior Bowl is still on (for now).

I think I may be thinking a bit differently when it comes to this team and what they need at qb from this year. I think Zack Wilson for right now is the only qb I’d take if available with our pick( I still need to watch more trey lance tape). I think Mac Jones may be a product of the players around him, Justin fields plays for Ohio state and I rarely ever trust their qbs, and I never was high on Kyle trask to begin with.

I think with our picks we should look into drafting the best possible players available to fill the roster holes we currently have( and I know we have problems drafting but assuming this year works out). If we go into next year with stidham or possibly cam starting we can at least field a better offense than what we had this year and if we’re still looking for the answer at qb then maybe we’ll be in a better position to trade up and get a guy we absolutely like next year. I think taking the Kansas City approach to this teams rebuild would be our best approach.

Again that’s just my opinion and knowing how this team operates I’m going probably going to be completely off.

Honestly, I’d be happy with any of the top 6 QBs available in the 1st round. Was turned off big time with Trask’s last game, he was horrendous. Every game without Pitts in the lineup, he struggled big time. There might be some correlation there.

My favorites are Lawrence (not gonna get him), Wilson (probably won’t get him), Fields (not as high on him as most, probably won’t be there for us anyway), Lance (definitely a possibility to land him), Jones (he SHOULD be available, and Trask (will be available).

I’m REALLY high on Wilson. He would transform our offense to the 21st century. He has everything I like for this Pat’s offense. Quick release, great arm, can extend plays with his feet, smart, good at reading defenses quickly, passionate about football. I think his last game, they mentioned he spoke to one of his idols, Aaron Rodgers, for an hour and a half, Rodgers actually called him. His playing style is very similar. Unfortunately I can’t see Belichick trading up to get him. In fact, all of this may be moot, Belichick might not even select a QB in the first round.

Trey Lance, I think the lack of playing time in 2020 may make him fall to us. Talent level is off the charts. One of the things I love about him is his throwing motion. Love that over the top, compact throwing motion. Obviously a great runner (if you’ve seen his highlights), so that makes the offense so unpredictable. As far back as last offseason, Lance was rated as the 2nd best QB, but after this season, he seems to have fallen behind Fields & Wilson (and obviously Lawrence). But he would certainly bring an Allen/Mahomes style of play to any offense. Would be interesting to see. Obviously Belichick doesn’t mind a running QB, as evidenced by bringing in Cam.

Jones and Trask are your typical pocket QBs, who MAY be a product of their environment. Can they play in any offense and make those teams good ? Well, Jones, when playing as Tua’s replacement in 2019, had WRs Ruggs, Smith, Waddle & Jeudy, and TE Irv Smith Jr. not to mention great RBs. Still had some great players in 2020. Trask had Pitts and Toney this year. So I’m wary of those 2 QBs.

One Qb who might be an interesting pick outside of round one is Desmond Ridder. Very interesting player. Doesn’t have the gaudy stats of the other guys. But watching him, my thoughts are, he may be a better pro than college player. He’s nowhere near his ceiling. He can sit and learn for a year or 2. Good arm, very good runner. He reminds me of Randall Cunningham as far as style of play, his running, the way he throws, even his body type. When he runs, he doesn’t look fast, but he is, it’s just that he’s a long strider, like Cunningham was. Maybe a 2nd round pick. I really think all 6 QBs go in the 1st round.

Of course a lot will be possibly changed with maybe virtual combines and virtual pro days. And though the East/West Shrine game has been cancelled, the Senior Bowl is still on (for now).
Super intrigued by Lance. Doesn't turn the ball over which is major...being that NE will pick between 9-15, who knows, may happen

While I don't love Lance, I do like him more than some alternatives...including Wilson, Jones, Trask, and maybe Fields

High upside pick

I think I may be thinking a bit differently when it comes to this team and what they need at qb from this year. I think Zack Wilson for right now is the only qb I’d take if available with our pick( I still need to watch more trey lance tape). I think Mac Jones may be a product of the players around him, Justin fields plays for Ohio state and I rarely ever trust their qbs, and I never was high on Kyle trask to begin with.

I think with our picks we should look into drafting the best possible players available to fill the roster holes we currently have( and I know we have problems drafting but assuming this year works out). If we go into next year with stidham or possibly cam starting we can at least field a better offense than what we had this year and if we’re still looking for the answer at qb then maybe we’ll be in a better position to trade up and get a guy we absolutely like next year. I think taking the Kansas City approach to this teams rebuild would be our best approach.

Again that’s just my opinion and knowing how this team operates I’m going probably going to be completely off.
As mentioned above, I don't really follow college, but from an approach standpoint I agree. The team has too many spots where talent infusion is needed than to say, draft a QB, sign some FAs and contend for playoff wins again.

As it currently stands, the team has major needs at: QB, WR, TE, DL and LB, in addition to questions at DB with Gilmore's contract, JC Jackson in RFA and the age of the McCourtys. Some of it can be fixed via the draft, some via FA, but certainly not all of them. Realistically we should be looking at a 2 year rebuild window with the goal being to compete for a division title again in 2022. So in the upcoming draft, especially with the first rounder, they should in my opinion just draft the best player available, even if he's not a QB. It would be really important to draft somebody that can be a contributor right away and be an impact player in his second or third season.

Love the notebook
-----------------------
Vikings trade up for QB using significant assets?

Cousins is having a very solid season statistically. 67% 33 TDs 13 INTs 103 rating
Contract goes until '22
Given Cousins' & his agent's headstrong approach to contracts, I tend to believe both would view Fields as a threat and the locker room would be unsettled going forward. Factor in $40 mill dead money if they try to move Cousins this offseason.

Vikings immediate problem is: their D is woeful....30th in pts against
The Vikings offense is scoring enough but teams are still outscoring them

Ballsy move if management goes your route. They do have contract security.
----------------------------
SF trading up for Wilson is interesting on 2 levels

1) I view Wilson as same person as Jimmy G coming out of college
High production (1 year for Wilson) vs weak schedule
Slight frame
Not ready to step in IMO
Hard to believe SF would swap out JG for a QB who just played against Coastal Carolina.
SF has a win now roster IMO

2) Your cost to trade up entices me to wonder...... WHY NOT the PATRIOTS?
Unlike SF who I have in Win Now mode, NE is rebuilding and can afford a more measured development approach as the team rebuilds.
Not sure 210 lb Wilson is their cup of tea....but the cost to get to #7 is reasonable IMO
-----------
Your #17 trade is next level (I do wish I could read the entire trade)
Your either a genius or insane
I will be making a new mock tomorrow after the games. The trade chart I use is Rich hills. It was only one scenario, just wait until my next mock!

After the win today, we are locked into the 15th pick in the first round.

for the first time in nearly a decade there are 10 blue chip prospects:

qb Lawrence of Clemson - best qb since Peyton.

ot Sewell of Oregon - absolute athletic beast!

ot slater of northwestern - incredibly arhletic

de paye of Michigan - came on strong this year and was a pass rushing beast, who needs help setting the edge on running plays.

lb parsons of penn state - qb of the defense, sideline to sideline defender.

cb surtain of Alabama - I am not sure he stays at corner or ends up at fs, but this guy is a coverage demon. Under saban’s tutoring he is way ahead of his father at this point in his career.

wr chase of lsu - absolute beast. Incredible at the catch point.

wr waddle of Alabama - the most sudden player in college football.

wr smith of Alabama - total playmaker. Incredibly he wins at the line of scrimmage and at the catch.

te Pitts of Florida - an absolute match up nightmare. Hernandez 2.0 with more size, speed and catch radius. The concussion history is the only real wart he has.

the question of who we take is dependent on How many qb’s are overdrafted? Fields, Wilson, trask, Jones and who we have as the best of the red chip talent!

With the draft order for non-playoff teams set there are already a couple of mock drafts out there that have been updated:

Pro Football Network
#1 Jaguars - Trevor Lawrence (QB)
#2 Jets - Justin Fields (QB)
#3 Dolphins - Penei Sewell (OT)
#4 Falcons - Kwity Page (EDGE)
#5 Bengals - Rashawn Slater (OT)
#6 Eagles - Ja'Marr Chase (WR)
#7 Lions - Zach Wilson (QB)
#8 Panthers - Trey Lance (QB)
#9 Broncos - Caleb Farley (CB)
#10 Cowboys - Jaycee Horn (CB)
#11 Giants - Micah Parsons (LB)
#12 49ers - Patrick Surtain II (CB)
#13 Chargers - Christian Darrisaw (OT)
#14 Vikings - Azeez Ojulari (EDGE)
#15 Patriots - DeVonta Smith (WR)
#16 Cardinals - Kyle Pitts (TE)
#17 Raiders - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (LB)

Since this is a 4 round mock (without compensatory picks) the guy has the Patriots take Mac Jones (QB) at 46 by the way.

The Draft Network
#2 Jets - Justin Fields (QB)
#3 Panthers - Zach Wilson (QB) traded with Miami for #8, #72 and a 2022 first
#4 Falcons - Trey Lance (QB)
#5 Bengals - Penei Sewell (OT)
#6 Eagles - Micah Parsons (LB)
#7 Lions - Ja'Marr Chase (WR)
#8 Dolphins - Jaylen Waddle (WR)
#9 Broncos - Caleb Farley (CB)
#10 Cowboys - Patrick Surtain II (CB)
#11 Giants - Kwity Page (EDGE)
#12 49ers - Rashawn Slater (OT)
#13 Chargers - Christian Darrisaw (OT)
#14 Vikings - Gregory Rousseau (EDGE)
#15 Patriots - Kyle Pitts (TE)
#16 Cardinals - Jaycee Horn (CB)
#17 Raiders - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (LB)

Gonna be interesting

If Lance falls, he's one of the only QBs I'd be intrigued of

Otherwise, Waddle/Smith, Surtain, Pitts all of interest

Can't wait

A few more updated mock drafts.

PFF
#2 Jets - Zach Wilson (QB)
#3 Dolphins - Penei Sewell (OT)
#4 49ers - Justin Fields (QB)
#5 Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase (WR)
#6 Eagles - Trey Lance (QB)
#7 Lions - Kwity Page (EDGE)
#8 Panthers - Micah Parsons (LB)
#9 Broncos - Patrick Surtain II (CB)
#10 Cowboys - Caleb Farley (CB)
#11 Giants - Devonta Smith (WR)
#12 Falcons - Kyle Pitts (TE)
#13 Chargers - Rashawn Slater (OT)
#14 Vikings - Gregory Rousseau (EDGE)
#15 Patriots - Mac Jones (QB)
#16 Cardinals - Jaylen Waddle (WR)
#17 Raiders - Azeez Ojulari (EDGE)
#18 Dolphins - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (LB)

SB Nation
#2 Jets - Penei Sewell (OT)
#3 Dolphins - Devonta Smith (WR)
#4 Falcons- Justin Fields (QB)
#5 Bengals - Ja'Marr Chase (WR)
#6 Eagles - Micah Parsons (LB)
#7 Lions - Jaylen Waddle (WR)
#8 Panthers - Kyle Pitts (TE)
#9 Broncos - Rashawn Slater (OT)
#10 Cowboys - Caleb Farley (CB)
#11 Giants - Kwity Page (DT)