PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Draft: Bold Predictions (in poop)

Patriots trade #15 to Baltimore for their two firsts....take two of CB/OT/LB/WR.

Day 2...Patriots trade #46 and something to move up to #34-#36 and take Kellen Mond or Davis Mills.
If they believe enough in Mond or Mills to trade up to early 2nd round for them, then they may as well use the second Baltimore 1st rounder on a QB to get the fifth year option. Though I suspect either guy could be had at 46.

You draft Fields or Lance you don’t have to worry about picking a QB for the next 10 years.
There is no guarantee of that, in fact it's much more likely that neither will be a franchise QB.

Here’s a bold prediction:

Bill takes Asante Samuel Jr.
This would surprise me if we’re talking about their first rounder. Samuel is more of a slot corner and they need a boundary corner (someone to start the opposite site of White, someone like Newsome or Farley). Edge rusher is at the top of their needs and it’s a thin class at the position so I imagine they’d prioritize that in the first. But man it would be a pain in the ass to have to deal with Asante Jr. (and Sr.) twice a year.

EDIT - oh this is about Bill, not the Bills. Please disregard

Last edited:
This would surprise me if we’re talking about their first rounder. Samuel is more of a slot corner and they need a boundary corner (someone to start the opposite site of White, someone like Newsome or Farley). Edge rusher is at the top of their needs and it’s a thin class at the position so I imagine they’d prioritize that in the first. But man it would be a pain in the ass to have to deal with Asante Jr. (and Sr.) twice a year.
It’s not going to happen. I think Bill takes a QB, baits Shanahan to trade him back Jimmy G or takes a front 7 player.

It would be shocking if Bill takes a CB within the first two rounds after Kraft’s recent comments that things need to change. The recent 2nd round picks wasted on DB’s are well known.

It’s not going to happen. I think Bill takes a QB, baits Shanahan to trade him back Jimmy G or takes a front 7 player.

It would be shocking if Bill takes a CB within the first two rounds after Kraft’s recent comments that things need to change. The recent 2nd picks wasted on DB’s are well known.
Actually my fault, I misread your original post, thought it said “Bills take Asante Samuel Jr.” lol

You meant Bill Belichick of course, which would be the boldest prediction on here because I see no chance of that happening

I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the Pats drafting a corner in the first two rounds. The process changing is as far as Bill putting more trust in his scouts and not just taking advice from his college coach friends.

Well, how often do teams that do "what the patriots do in terms of coaching, system, OL, running game, TEs, and defense" actually pick in the top 10? In fact, how many teams are there in the NFL that fall into the "do what the Patriots do" category, by your count?
It was “have what the patriots do” and the point pretty much is why would you hold a young QBs coming into a good situation as comparable to a young qb coming into a poor situation?
Mahomes, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Jackson, Wilson, mcnab, Brady, are all examples of young QBs who came into either a strong team and/or a solid coaching situation and thrived.
The point is that the coaching they receive, and the team around them is the most viral factor in whether they succeed or not.
I mean give me the list of good coaches who had highly regarded young QBs bust under them or good teams that were turned over to a highly regarded young QB and went to crap.
THAT would be the counter to the strong evidence that coaching and team quality are the most important factors, not saying good teams don’t draft early in the first round.

My point exactly. Top-10 QB are drafted by bottom-10 teams, so your argument that top-10 QBs drafted by Patriots-like team never fails is not something that can be verified because it rarely happens.
So find me any highly regarded QBs that failed when they took over we’ll coached teams that had decent talent.
Use the whole first round if you want.
I don’t think you can find many
1) highly regarded QBs with good hc/oc
2) highly regarded QBs who took over good well rounded teams so they didn’t have to carry a crap team
That failed.

that is the situation we are bringing a qb into, so that situation is what is relevant.

So find me any highly regarded QBs that failed when they took over we’ll coached teams that had decent talent.
Use the whole first round if you want.
I don’t think you can find many
1) highly regarded QBs with good hc/oc
2) highly regarded QBs who took over good well rounded teams so they didn’t have to carry a crap team
That failed.

that is the situation we are bringing a qb into, so that situation is what is relevant.
You can do it yourself, you'll see that there isnt many QB Who fits what you're looking for. Maybe you can find 3 cases like that over the past 10 years ?

An analysis based on 3 cases is pointless, it doesnt tell anything.

If we end today with one of:

Fields
Lance
Horn
Collins

I’ll be happy.

As for a prediction? Trade back in the 1st, draft Collins and use the acquired pick to trade for Jimmy G.

You can do it yourself, you'll see that there isnt many QB Who fits what you're looking for. Maybe you can find 3 cases like that over the past 10 years ?

An analysis based on 3 cases is pointless, it doesnt tell anything.
It tells you more than an analysis based on zero cases.
i listed a number of QBs who cane into good coaching and/or team situations and succeeding immediately.

@DropKickFlutie , sorry this had to be :D

Nah it's all good. A good reminder for how packaging 3 picks for Tim Tebow was an absolute disaster for the Broncos. And a possible suggestion that we shouldn't be making a huge move for the '4th QB' is our OC is the one pushing for it. The franchise is on the tipping point if collapse ala Denver 2010

I never thought this day would come. Slowest offseason of my Patriots life. I blame joining this board.

Poop fling: Parsons slips to us in the 1st, and we take him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back