PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that the 2021 is in relatively good shape. Sure, they could be retirements and the use of the money for replacements (e.g. McCourty, McCourty, Chung and Hightower), . IMO, the only clear "need" is on the DL. We need a couple of additions from the draft or free agency. That isn't a huge issue.

S: McCourty, Phillips, Dugger, Chung
CB: Gilmore, Jones, Williams, Jackson (assuming a 1st round tender or a roster replacement with the 1st), [Bryant], [Toran]
LB/DE: Winovich, Hightower, Bentley, Jennings, Uche
DL: Allen, Barnett

Chung's finished...The only reason for his being here in 2021 will be if it is cost-prohibitive to release him...
Edit - Which I guess according to this it will be:

I'd like to see Cody Davis stick around another season...Unlike Ebner, Brandon King et al, he might also be able to help on defense too...

We need more help at LB/DE...and DL is indeed a clear Need, even if Guy re-signs...

I’m concerned about the D going forward. Guys like DMac, Gilmore, HT, Chung are “a link to the past” leaders who’ve played huge games and have produced at a high level. The team lacks the 26-30 year old leaders to replace them for 2021.

Having said that, I could see all four of them move on. And I don’t know many teams able to replace 4/11 of their starters with equal quality.

JC is a keeper. I like Phillips and JJ as well. Wino shows well (but might be in the dog house atm).

Like I said last offseason, the D line needs a massive upgrade at DT and DE. Secondary could take a hit with GIlmore trade. Chung is gone as Phillips and Dugger can take over. Who knows if HT ever comes back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News