PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Mock Drafts

Rare disagreement with the Cap’n. I like Bryan Edwards, the WR from SC, and Jonathan Greenard, the DE/OLB from Florida, in the third-fourth round range.
In Gil Brandt’s top 150 they’re 69 and 98, respectively.
Yeah I saw the Godfather's Hot 150 list a couple of days ago too, and posted a link to it in the Big Boards thread...There's more than a couple of surprises in it, that's for sure...

I wish that Edwards had performed a workout somewhere, at the very least to show that his knee/foot injuries are behind him; I cannot justify taking him that early without one...

I like Greenard too, and might've been too hasty to pan the pick there because we still ended-up drafting DT Davon Hamilton later...In fact I just went to my original post and modified my thoughts to reflect this...

Last edited:
Ok,that was my last draft rodeo.These are my results.View attachment 26948
I don't mind the PK & QB picks...they were made during the 6th & 7th rounds and that's as early as I'm willing to go with either of them, though I still would've tried to see who was available at OT (or maybe Slot CB) first...The rest of these picks are Excellent...I especially like how almost every one of our needs is addressed at least once...

Sunday brunch mocks, first The Draft Network (no trades) with their Player Rankings board:

Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma
  • - Our LBs are a huge question mark; Murray begins to provide an answer...

• Cole Kmet, TE Notre Dame

Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State
    - Doubtful he lasts this long...

Chase Claypool, WR/HB/TE Notre Dame
    - Pittman & Van Jefferson already gone; I took Batman, might as well take Robin too...

Alton Robinson, DE Syracuse
    - My favorite DTs (RDavis, Hamilton, Fotu) already gone, so I instead went with the best DE available...

Reggie Robinson II, DB Tulsa
    - Devin McCourty understudy/eventual replacement?

Lynn Bowden, Weapon Kentucky
    - Seriously doubtful he lasts this long...

Tanner Muse, LB/S Clemson
    - Running-down SS, passing-down OLB...another Athlete for the LB room...

Charlie Taumoepeau, TE/HB Portland State
    - another Swiss Army Knife-type for McD...Dalton Keene already taken...

Kindle Vildor, Slot CB Georgia Southern
    - Slot CB of the Future if Johnny Jones continues to suck...

Danny Pinter, Center Ball State
    - Will never play OT in the NFL, but is plenty athletic enough to transition to Center, especially if Andrews is healthy enough to return as starter while Pinter learns the position...

Benito Jones, DT Mississippi
    - Lucky that he's still available here; our DTs need a shot of Beef...

Pretty good draft , on the "edge" side of things should we expect more from Derek Rivers ......must be his last chance albeit with injuries over the last few seasons

Pretty good draft , on the "edge" side of things should we expect more from Derek Rivers ......must be his last chance albeit with injuries over the last few seasons
Anything we receive from Rivers should be considered the loose change recovered from your pockets after a night of blackout-inducing drinking while you are still missing the bills...What a complete, unacceptable abomination that draft was...

Last one from me, on PFN, did some wheeling and dealing of picks:

44. Kmet, TE, ND
55. Baun, OLB, Wisconsin
92. Biadasz, C, Wisconsin
98. Claypool, WR, ND
100. Hamilton, DT, OSU
119. Fromm, QB, Georgia
172. Jennings, DE, Alabama
204. Alex Taylor, OT, SC State,
212. M. Perry, RB, Navy
213. Tamoepeau, TE, Portland State
230. Bass, K, Georgia Southern
241. Arnold, S, Baylor

I would have taken Baun at 44 but looking at the ratings on that simulator thought I could still get him at 55. Baun at 44 would still let me pick Trautman at 55 so I guess I prefer Kmet to Trautman based primarily on better experience with competitors.

I had a similar situation with Hamilton and Claypool.

This was the first time I mock-selected Fromm. I am sort of undecided about drafting a QB until late, but while I think he’s going to be a career backup I still think he’s a lot better than the guys like Dinucci or Montez and thus too good of a value there to pass up.

Perry is sort of a new binkie for me as a gadget type player.

The other picks were just the ones I prefer at need positions with a hope that Jennings and Taylor’s limitations athletically won’t deter them from being useful rotation players on each line, and Arnold would be a good special teams player a la Ebner.

I’d be really shocked if Claypool lasted until 98. BUT, this would be an excellent draft if it fell this way and the Pats made those exact picks.

Though prefer a different 2nd TE, like a Colby Parkinson, and not 100% all in on Fromm, I don’t see him as an improvement over Stidham.

I’d be really shocked if Claypool lasted until 98. BUT, this would be an excellent draft if it fell this way and the Pats made those exact picks.

Though prefer a different 2nd TE, like a Colby Parkinson, and not 100% all in on Fromm, I don’t see him as an improvement over Stidham.

I am all in on Parkinson. He may not be the fastest, but he can get open and catch the ball. He offers nothing after the catch, but is better than Izzo from day one.

44. Kmet, TE, ND
55. Baun, OLB, Wisconsin
98. Claypool, WR, ND
100. Hamilton, DT, OSU
119. Fromm, QB, Georgia
212. M. Perry, RB, Navy
241. Arnold, S, Baylor

I would have taken Baun at 44 but looking at the ratings on that simulator thought I could still get him at 55. Baun at 44 would still let me pick Trautman at 55 so I guess I prefer Kmet to Trautman based primarily on better experience with competitors.

This was the first time I mock-selected Fromm. I am sort of undecided about drafting a QB until late, but while I think he’s going to be a career backup I still think he’s a lot better than the guys like Dinucci or Montez and thus too good of a value there to pass up.

The other picks were just the ones I prefer at need positions with a hope that Jennings and Taylor’s limitations athletically won’t deter them from being useful rotation players on each line, and Arnold would be a good special teams player a la Ebner.
I understand your reasoning behind taking Fromm, and in a normal year and with a more-balanced & talented overall roster I would be ok with the pick here...It's certainly not a reach value-wise...But like Scott99 mentioned above, I too don't believe that Fromm will be an improvement over Stid, and he certainly won't be this season, so that's why I'm in favor of using that pick on a position player to help fill one of our several and in some cases deep holes...

Besides my QB thing, I wouldn't complain at all with this draft...I can easily envision Bill drafting Anfernee Jennings if he's available anytime after the 1st round...I just hope he has the good sense to wait until day 3 for him...and if those first 5 picks fall that way I'll jump for joy...

One more from The Draft Network, this time using their Predictive board:

Justin Herbert, QB Oregon
    - The only other QB outside the top 2 in whom I have any interest...Gotta gamble on greatness...

Van Jefferson, WR Florida
    - a WR who actually knows how to play the position...what a concept...

Leki Fotu, DT Utah
    - Shelton is gone, and Fat Thor sucks...

Tyler Biadasz, C/G Wisconsin
  • - We need to replace Mongo and provide quality insurance for Andrews...and No, Thanksdad doesn't count...and probably neither will Frodo...

Harrison Bryant, TE Florida Atlantic
    - The complete overhaul of the TE room MUST begin before the end of Day 2...Kmet & Trautman already gone...Better hands than Bryce Hopkins, better blocking than Albert O...Short arms are a legit concern however...

Tanner Muse, LB/S Clemson
    - Picked him in the other mock too...Didn't want to wait this long to draft a LB, but Justin Herbert happened, and all of Malik Harrison, Logan Wilson, Troy Dye & Jordan Brooks were taken before #98...

Dalton Keene, TE Virginia Tech
    - Didn't plan on taking another TE so soon, but after losing out on Kmet & Trautman I didn't want to lose him too...I'll actually be OK with almost any combination of 2 of about a dozen of these guys...as long as LaGlasse & Izzo are feckin gone...

Kindle Vildor, CB Georgia Southern
    - Picked him in the other mock too...

D.J. Wonnum, DE South Carolina
    - Strictly a passing-down DE for mow, but there's room to grow still...

Isaiah Hodgins, WR Oregon State
    - Don't think he'll last this long...Another legacy, knows how to play...Hands are excellent; wiggle & YAC however are not...

Carter Coughlin, OLB Minnesota
    - I picture him closer to mid-field than to the LOS, where he'll get destroyed...athletic potential there to ass-ume the KVN role...

Jon Runyan, OT Michigan
    - One more legacy pick...Tested very well at the combine...Arms just long enough to stay outside...Possible Plan C if both Cannon & Cachoo are unable to answer the bell...

One more from The Draft Network, this time using their Predictive board:

Kindle Vildor, CB Georgia Southern
    - Picked him in the other mock too...

do you have a good read on him?

do you have a good read on him?
Hand size, arm length & strength are terrific for somebody < 5'10, gives hope that he can stay outside...Can jump out of the gym...COD skills to mirror Slot WRs are questionable...level of competition has to be considered also...but at #204 well worth the pick...Hope that helps...

You show just how unrealistic this process can be. We would be very lucky to get plays where you drafted them.
Ruggs is the only pick he made that is way lower than expected.

do you have a mock you’ve done?

44. Kmet, TE, ND
55. Baun, OLB, Wisconsin
98. Claypool, WR, ND
100. Hamilton, DT, OSU
119. Fromm, QB, Georgia
212. M. Perry, RB, Navy
241. Arnold, S, Baylor

Not sure how realistic this is, but what a haul

View attachment 26970

PFF trade down edition.
Extremely impressive haul...Only critiques I have is that I would've tried to use a pick somewhere for a Center, and I would've drafted a beefier DT at #87 than Elliot such as Raekwon Davis, Davon Hamilton or Leki Fotu, if any of those 3 were still available that is...

Hand size, arm length & strength are terrific for somebody < 5'10, gives hope that he can stay outside...Can jump out of the gym...COD skills to mirror Slot WRs are questionable...level of competition has to be considered also...but at #204 well worth the pick...Hope that helps...

It was a joke based on his name Kindle. ‘Good read’, get it?

But thanks for the scouting report.

PFF trade down edition.
I've been playing around withe PFF simulator, too. And I was pretty happy with how my effort came out.

Until I saw this one.

Yeah.

This is mine. I couldn't get the graphic to work, so you'll have to just trust me.

TRADE: #23 and #212 traded to Indianapolis for #34, #75, and #122.
TRADE: #34 and #230 traded to Houston for #40 and #90.

40. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
75. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
87. James Lynch, DE, Baylor
90. Leki Fotu, NT, Utah
98. Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
100. Nick Harris, C, Washington
122. Jabari Zuniga, DE, Florida
125. Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina
172. Justin Strnad, LB, Wake Forest
195. Rodrigo Blankenship, PK, Georgia
204. Cole McDonald, QB, Hawaii
213. Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
241. Kenny Robinson, FS, St. Louis (XFL)

Also, I'm assuming Thuney is traded for a late 2nd/early 3rd that I'm going to use to take either Josh Uche or Malik Harrison.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back