PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Mock Drafts

Playing around with the PFN Mock Draft Simulator, and thought I'd kind of live blog my draft:

At #23, there were some guys I like, but in this mock, Jordan Love was still on the board. The Chargers went OL at #6, so I managed to swap #23 for #37 and #71 to allow LA to move up and grab Love.

A lot of players I'm not that interested in ended up going between #23 and #37. I think I might be able to move down again without a great deal of risk. I trade #37 and #100 to Atlanta for #47 and #78. That means I've turned #23 and #100 into #47, #71, and #78. If you go by the Draft Pick Trade Value Chart, I've traded away 860 points, and gotten back 865.

I instantly regret the second trade down as Cole Kmet goes to Carolina at #38 - WAY earlier than I anticipated. I wanted either Kmet or Trautman from this draft, but now it seems like they're both going to go in the 2nd round. I'm not comfortable taking Trautman at #47. I'm probably overthinking this. Take the best player who fits a need. There's someone I like who I'm really surprised is still available in the middle of the 2nd round. At #47, I select Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin.

I still want Trautman. I try to work something out with teams near the bottom of the 2nd round to move up into the low 60s, but can't find a taker at a price I think is reasonable. I'm holding my breath as the 2nd round ends and Trautman is still on the board. I'm thinking my gamble is about to pay off.

It doesn't. Trautman goes four picks ahead of me to the Jets at #67 at the top of the 3rd round. I've failed in getting one of my two TE targets.

Back to basics - take the best player who fits a need. I didn't start this draft thinking I'd take a safety real high, but like Baun, there's a guy on the board who I didn't think would be there at this point in the draft - a guy that I think the Patriots could deploy in a number of roles. At pick #71, I'm taking Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois.

I'm still looking for offensive playmakers, but the board isn't falling my way. The value is still on the defensive side of the ball. I follow up the Baun and Chinn picks by taking Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama at #78. After I make the pick, I tell myself, "Offense at #87, no matter what."

OK, so which offensive player do I go for? To be honest, I'm not sold on any of the choices as a difference-maker. If I go TE, it'd probably be Albert Okwuegbunam, who I don't love. If I go WR, I'm probably going to choose between Van Jefferson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, and Gabriel Davis. My favorite player on the board is Clyde Edwards-Hillaire, the RB from LSU. I could take him and then release Burkhead, saving almost $3.0 million against the cap. But if I take Edwards-Hillaire, it probably means either giving up on Sony Michel, or another season where Damien Harris doesn't dress. I'm not ready to give up on Michel, and I want to give Harris a chance to take Burkhead's spot in the lineup. I'm going with Van Jefferson, WR, Florida, who may not be a star, but he's dependable, and I think he'll play in the NFL for a long, long time.

Okwuegbunam is still on the board at #98. As I said - I'm not a huge fan. In fact, beyond Kmet and Trautman, I'm not a huge fan of any of the rest of the TE class. But I don't see how the Patriots can go another year without picking at least one. Pick #98 is Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri.

Another RB I like - Zack Moss from Utah - is available at #125, but I can't pull the trigger for the same reasons I didn't pull the trigger on Edwards-Hillaire. There are two players I like that I think would fit needs, and I can't really decide between them. I don't think either would be there at #172, but I think I might be able to hold out a little longer to take them. I'm looking to trade down and maybe cash in some of those late picks I've got. I trade #125, #195, and #213 to Philadelphia for #145 and #146.

This time, my gamble pays off - both my targets are still available. I haven't addressed the OL yet, and I think it's time. I'm taking a kid who I think is athletic, versatile, and underrated. Pick #145 is Hakeem Adeniji, OL, Kansas.

At #146, we're going quarterback. I realize I'm on an island here, but after Burrow, Herbert, and Tagovailoa, QB4 in this draft for me isn't Love or Eason or even Jake Fromm. It's James Morgan, QB, Florida International.

Back to defense at #172. Taking a bit of a flyer on a kid who has a good frame, is a good Special Teams player, and was a three-year team captain in the SEC - DJ Wonnum, DE, South Carolina. He just feels like a Belichick pick.

Given my screen name, this next pick friggin' pains me, but it fills a need, and he's a pretty good kicker. #204 overall is Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia.

We're now well into the stage of the draft where I'm hoping to pick up guys who can provide a little depth and maybe push some other players who have some questions. I wasn't a huge fan of Ted Karras, but he does need to be replaced. Maybe Hjalte Froholdt is the guy. Maybe he isn't. Either way, it'd be nice to have some insurance. Pick #212 is Calvin Throckmorton, OL, Oregon.

Speaking of depth, the Patriots still lack linebackers. So at #230, I'm going with the best LB in all of FBS... a guy who's scouting report - at least to me - screams "Patriots" - Dante Olson, LB, Montana.

And to wrap things up at #241, I'm double dipping at TE in the hopes of pushing either LaCosse or Izzo off the roster. He likely won't be available in the 7th round two weeks from now, but in this simulation, pick #241 is Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech.
I like the Baun, Chinn, Davis & Van Jefferson picks where they were taken (yeah Tony Pauline's not a huge Zach Baun fan, but I think he goes higher than this)...

I agree that Kmet & Trautman are the top 2 TEs, but I have Harrison Bryant as my #3, so if he's still on the board at 98 I'm taking him there instead of Albert O...

I would have to be very confident that Adeniji can perform Swing Tackle duties before taking him here, but I'm just not sure if he has enough sand in his pants for RT, and we have enough assets committed to Guard-Onlys as it is...

I do Not want another mid-round QB...I would instead look for the best available Slot CB/Free Safety here...

And I don't want to waste a pick on a kicker either...The overwhelming majority of PKs & Punters in the league arrived as UDFAs, and I don't see anything special in Blankenship or anyone else in this class either...

I absolutely love the Dalton Keene pick, but sadly I think he's going to go higher than this.

If any of Run-Stuffers Raekwon Davis, Davon Hamilton & Leki Fotu (in that order) are still available at #87, I would take one of them here instead of 3-Tech Elliot...We absolutely need LBs, but I don't think that Cale Garrett is even a draftable prospect...And other than still needing a Slot CB/Free Safety, I like these picks.
Who could play 0-tech if we get Davis or what would could we play if not 4-3?

Who could play 0-tech if we get Davis or what would could we play if not 4-3?
Davis should be stout enough for a 0/1-tech, at least much more so than Jordan Elliot will be ... This draft is chock-full of 3-techs; no need to grab one so soon when we are desperate for Run-Stuffers.

Davis should be stout enough for a 0/1-tech, at least much more so than Jordan Elliot will be ... This draft is chock-full of 3-techs; no need to grab one so soon when we are desperate for Run-Stuffers.
Yeah or maybe guy as and Davis as run stuffers compared to a guy like lynch for pass rush I would like that cause we can also use some pass rush there but I totally agree for need of a run stuffer after loosing DS and replacing him with Allen.

Yeah or maybe guy as and Davis as run stuffers compared to a guy like lynch for pass rush I would like that cause we can also use some pass rush there but I totally agree for need of a run stuffer after loosing DS and replacing him with Allen.
Edit. : getting Fotu and Lynch would be also nice cause Davis requests probably end of second or early third and Fotu maybe not earlier than mid third

Which website is this, and from which teams did you acquire 1st-rounders?
He traded out of the 1st. The 2021 1st round picks are our own. He didn't trade for any future 1's.

Which website is this, and from which teams did you acquire 1st-rounders?
First pick is the website. I didn’t acquire the 1st rounders. I just held onto our own.

Concerned about Froholdt propensity for holding penalties.
I wonder why at 6’5” the Dane’s arms are barely longer than mine. I stand less than 6’0”.

I think I might prefer Ruiz. Still favor OL/DL round 1. Ruiz could count for G and C. Assuming Karras and Thuney gone could fit in need areas.
I like the Wisconsin player Badazz even more.

I like the Wisconsin player Badazz even more.
Gotta be concerned though with Biadasz' shoulder injury, especially without any thorough follow-ups during this suck-ass pre-draft process (still feel that the draft should be delayed a month)...
Otherwise he would be right up there with Cesar Ruiz, who is really, really good...

Gotta be concerned though with Biadasz' shoulder injury, especially without any thorough follow-ups during this suck-ass pre-draft process (still feel that the draft should be delayed a month)...
Otherwise he would be right up there with Cesar Ruiz, who is really, really good...

Biadasz shoulder injury puts him in the same position as yajuste last season. I first round talent who fell due to injury.

my question with biadasz is if the injury is chronic. Bb will have the medicals to make that call.

Crushenberry from LSU or Hennessy from temple are two fall backs if biadasz injury is chronic,

PFN Mock Draft Simulator

Have been away for a couple of years. Quarantine comeback effort.

Did a five-rounder with a "what I would do, not necessarily what BB would do" mentality.

Traded 23 and 87 to Green Bay for 30 and 62 and one of the 6s.

30. Xavier McKinney S Alabama
62. Adam Trautman TE Dayton
98. Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame
100. Harrison Bryant TE FAU
125. Leki Fotu DT Utah
172. Tyler Bass K Georgia Southern

Interestingly enough, the results are somewhat unpredictable; I tried it once to see how it worked and Jordan Love was gone in the teens; here, Love was still available at 30.

Biadasz shoulder injury puts him in the same position as yajuste last season. I first round talent who fell due to injury.

my question with biadasz is if the injury is chronic. Bb will have the medicals to make that call.

Crushenberry from LSU or Hennessy from temple are two fall backs if biadasz injury is chronic,
Agree about Biadasz & Crush...But...Yawndy Cachoo was not, is not now, and never will be a "1st-round talent"...

Was finally able to do a full mock on the PFF website...man that thing can be slow...
Settings -
Big Board: 25/75 PFF/Other
Draft for Need: A lot
Positional value: Yes
Randomness: Randomupload_2020-4-14_11-12-35.png
I tried to make smaller trade-downs with a couple of teams, but PFF's trade machine is really stingy...For example, on the PFN simulator I can send the Vikings #23 for #s 25 & 105 whenever I want; with this one they wouldn't give me #132 even if I included a 6th-rounder (finally acquired it with a later trade)...But that's cool because the player I wanted anyway (LB Ken Murray) was still available at #33 even after I traded with da Bungles for their 2nd-rounder next year (more ammo just in case we have to go hard on Tanking for Trevor)...

Not being able to secure a late 2nd/early 3rd sucked, but I still met my objectives on doubling-up at TE, WR, OL, DL, LB & DB...Wasting valuable resources on picking a mid-round QB again and on a feckin kicker can go bugger off...

Last edited:
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 27 (SEA): Josh Jones, OT (Could trade Cannon and save some money for next year)
Round 3 Pick 23: Khalid Kareem, DE/OLB, Notre Dame (They really need ED support)
Round 3 Pick 34 (COMP): Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton (Biggest need IMO)
Round 3 Pick 36 (COMP): Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia (I love him, i think he would be our QB1 right now)
Round 3 Pick 37 (SEA): K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio St. (Terry Mc 2.0)
Round 4 Pick 19: J.R. Reed, FS/SS, Georgia (Getting younger)
Round 5 Pick 26: Jake Hanson, C/OG, Oregon (Andrews insurance)
Round 6 Pick 16: Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia (Our starter for the next 10 years)
Round 6 Pick 25: Kamal Martin, OLB, Minnesota
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Benito Jones, DT, Ole Miss
Round 6 Pick 34 (COMP): Quintez Cephus, WR, Wisconsin
Round 7 Pick 16: D.J. Wonnum, DE, South Carolina
Round 7 Pick 27: Raymond Calais, RB, Louisiana

I would love to trade another vet or 2 for picks ( Cannon for a late pick and one of the RB - White / Burk i would not mind - They have 2 young RB + they can add late round talent). If they do so, i would like to double dip @ TE.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back