PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 mock drafts: what the pundits think

Read a report where one scout said that Kindley can’t play in a zone blocking scheme so I don’t know how he would fit here
Would prefer biadasz or bredeson

An educated guess at a Patriots seven-round draft

23. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
87. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois
98. Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
100. Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia
125. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
172. Larrell Murchison, DT, N.C. State
195. Markus Bailey, LB, Purdue
204. DJ Wonnum, DE, South Carolina
212. Sam Sloman, K, Miami (Ohio) [?]
213. Jalen Elliott, S, Notre Dame
230. Calvin Throckmorton, IOL, Oregon
241. Aaron Parker, WR, Rhode Island

212. Sam Sloman, K, Miami (Ohio) [?]

Sam Sloman, K, Miami (OH)
Sloman, who kicked a 64-yard field goal during the FBS All-Americans Tropical Bowl in January and booted one from 61 yards yesterday, actually had three special teams coaches work him out last Wednesday, as the trio drove to Miami, Ohio, from the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

2020 NFL Draft: Miami RedHawks Pro Day Report | PFN

Sloman has been the starting place kicker since he got to campus as a freshman in 2016 and has gotten better each year. During his freshman year, he made one out of three field goals (33.33%), sophomore year he made 12 of 16 (75%), junior year he made 10 of 13 (76.92%), and this season he is 17 of 20 (85%).

Sloman is putting together quite the impressive season. He’s made 19-23 field goals, including a long of 53 yards, the game-winner against Ohio University. He ranks fifth in the nation with 19 field goals made and has the eleventh longest field goal made (53 yards), and is first in field goal percentage from 50 yards and further (75%).

Miami Football's kicker up for national award

Someone to watch for in the draft/UDFA if we bring in competition for Ghost:
  • Overall field goal percentage- 86.2% (25-29)
  • 40-49 yds- 77.8% (7-9)
  • 50+ yds- 80% (4-5)
2020 Patriot-Type Players

New Leader in the Clubhouse for worst Mock Draft:

Peter Schrager NFL mock draft 2.0: Ruggs selected before Jeudy

PICK 23

Harrison Bryant - TE
School: FAU | Year: Senior

First time you've seen Bryant's name in the first round of a mock draft? Don't be shocked -- I can see it happening. New England has tried to get Jared Cook and Hayden Hurst in back-to-back offseasons, with no success. Bryant is a big body who can both catch balls and block. He isn't Gronk, but no one is. What he can be is a building block for whomever Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels groom to be the QB of the future.​

Enormous over-reach for this guy.

Read a report where one scout said that Kindley can’t play in a zone blocking scheme so I don’t know how he would fit here
Would prefer biadasz or bredeson

And this is why kindley is not in my mock patriots draft. He is best in a power blocking scheme. Pittsburgh or Baltimore will be very happy to get this guy.

This only makes sense if David Andrews is cleared to play. If not, BB has to re-build the offensive line with a center and a tackle who can contribute in 2020.

Not sure what Andrews situation has to do with needing a tackle that can contribute in 2020. Last years 3rd round pick, Yodny Cajuste, is good to go. He's over a year recovered from his quad injury, and the Patriots know exactly where he stands. They obviously were able to monitor his progress throughout the year, and because he was a rehab guy, they were able to get him into the building at the beginning of the shutdown. He was a borderline 1st round talent that fell because of the injury, but it wasn't an injury that should hinder his long term availability.

As far as center, Andrews started as a rookie undrafted FA. Hjalte Froholdt was a 4th rounder last year, thats coming off a shoulder injury. While that could be a concern, at least its a situation the Patriots have been able to monitor 1st hand. The point about Andrews being undrafted isn't that any random person could come in and start at C, but just to point out that we don't need a premium pick at center to get by. I think the team would be just fine waiting until the 3rd or 4th for a C, no matter what Andrews situation is. If he is a no go, Froholdt and a rookie 3rd or 4th rounder should be fine to Duke it out.

If Thuney is dealt, then I understand the point of going OL early. In that case, Ruiz, Hennessy, and Jackson would rank higher on the priority list imo.

And this is why kindley is not in my mock patriots draft. He is best in a power blocking scheme. Pittsburgh or Baltimore will be very happy to get this guy.

You responded to the mock, saying you loved the pick of Kindley to the Patriots at 34.

Yeah he would be a mauler there but doesn’t fit our scheme if we stick to it . Would also prefer an guard who is good in pass protection since mason is better in run blocking and we will have a fb combined hopefully to a te who can Block better than LaCosse our run game should be ok

Competition for Ghost?!
I just copied/pasted what I posted earlier about Sam Sloman in the Patriot Type Players thread before Ghost was released which I linked above.:)

I just copied/pasted what I posted earlier about Sam Sloman in the Patriot Type Players thread before Ghost was released which I linked above.:)
Phew. Thought I missed out on some big news. Maybe he was coming back after getting healthy or sumthin.

You responded to the mock, saying you loved the pick of Kindley to the Patriots at 34.

because I do love the pick. Mason was a terrible fit in a zone blocking scheme coming out of college, but we sort of made that work.

I doubt that would work with kindley, so I do not put him in my patriots mock!

because I do love the pick. Mason was a terrible fit in a zone blocking scheme coming out of college, but we sort of made that work.

I doubt that would work with kindley, so I do not put him in my patriots mock!

Mason played in a triple option offense and displayed good athleticism and mobility at Georgia Tech. Many expected him to play center to take advantage of his movement skills(and lack of size). Just because he was strong, did not mean he was a poor fit for a zone blocking scheme. He lacked the size and length teams look for, but there were no concerns about his mobility.

If you don't think Kindley can make the transition to a zone scheme(I would agree with that) and you wouldn't mock him to the Patriots in your own mock, why would you love the pick of him to the Patriots at 34, a spot nobody projects to go at? Just curious. You may like him as a prospect but that doesn't mean him going to the Patriots at pick 34 is a good move.

Mason played in a triple option offense and displayed good athleticism and mobility at Georgia Tech. Many expected him to play center to take advantage of his movement skills(and lack of size). Just because he was strong, did not mean he was a poor fit for a zone blocking scheme. He lacked the size and length teams look for, but there were no concerns about his mobility.

If you don't think Kindley can make the transition to a zone scheme(I would agree with that) and you wouldn't mock him to the Patriots in your own mock, why would you love the pick of him to the Patriots at 34, a spot nobody projects to go at? Just curious. You may like him as a prospect but that doesn't mean him going to the Patriots at pick 34 is a good move.

never said it was a good move, just said I love the pick.

let me ask this: we have the ball and it is 3rd and 1. How confident are you that our zone blocking offensive line can blow the defense off the line of scrimmage and we can run for that 1 yard?
Now how much better would you feel about picking it up if we ran it behind kindley?

never said it was a good move, just said I love the pick.

let me ask this: we have the ball and it is 3rd and 1. How confident are you that our zone blocking offensive line can blow the defense off the line of scrimmage and we can run for that 1 yard?
Now how much better would you feel about picking it up if we ran it behind kindley?

I would be much more confident in Thuney and Mason on the field getting the job done, than plucking a guy slow off the snap, fresh off the bench. The unit works best as a unit, not taking a square peg, trying to pound it into a round hole.

Evan Lazar's Final Mock Draft:

Lazar's Final Patriots Mock Draft: Pats Draft Defense With First Two Selections | CLNS Media

Traded #23 to Tennessee for #29 and #93
29. AJ Epenesa, DL, Iowa
Traded #87 and #125 to Indianapolis for #75
75. Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama
93. Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
98. K'Von Wallace, DB, Clemson
139. Netane Muti, T/G, Fresno State
172. James Proche, WR, SMU
Traded #195 and #204 to Miami for #174
174. Tanner Muse, S/LB, Clemson
212. Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern
213. Joe Reed, WR, Virginia
230. Luther Kirk, S, Illinois State

Evan Lazar's Final Mock Draft:

Lazar's Final Patriots Mock Draft: Pats Draft Defense With First Two Selections | CLNS Media

Traded #23 to Tennessee for #29 and #93
29. AJ Epenesa, DL, Iowa
Traded #87 and #125 to Indianapolis for #75
75. Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama
93. Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
98. K'Von Wallace, DB, Clemson
139. Netane Muti, T/G, Fresno State
172. James Proche, WR, SMU
Traded #195 and #204 to Miami for #174
174. Tanner Muse, S/LB, Clemson
212. Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern
213. Joe Reed, WR, Virginia
230. Luther Kirk, S, Illinois State

I think Epenesa and Lewis would be great to inject some youth into the defense. But I hope the Pats add an offensive lineman better than Muti and add more help at TE than just Bryant.

I like the players he has selected for defence but I am a little surprised as to the quality of the offensive players Bryant/Proche/Reed , is that the best for the future !

Not sure what Andrews situation has to do with needing a tackle that can contribute in 2020. Last years 3rd round pick, Yodny Cajuste, is good to go. He's over a year recovered from his quad injury, and the Patriots know exactly where he stands. They obviously were able to monitor his progress throughout the year, and because he was a rehab guy, they were able to get him into the building at the beginning of the shutdown. He was a borderline 1st round talent that fell because of the injury, but it wasn't an injury that should hinder his long term availability.

As far as center, Andrews started as a rookie undrafted FA. Hjalte Froholdt was a 4th rounder last year, thats coming off a shoulder injury. While that could be a concern, at least its a situation the Patriots have been able to monitor 1st hand. The point about Andrews being undrafted isn't that any random person could come in and start at C, but just to point out that we don't need a premium pick at center to get by. I think the team would be just fine waiting until the 3rd or 4th for a C, no matter what Andrews situation is. If he is a no go, Froholdt and a rookie 3rd or 4th rounder should be fine to Duke it out.

If Thuney is dealt, then I understand the point of going OL early. In that case, Ruiz, Hennessy, and Jackson would rank higher on the priority list imo.

You have great confidence in Cajuste at tackle and Froholdt at center. I hope you are right. If Andrews is good to go, I agree that center is not a need. But if not, Ruiz is, by many accounts, a can't miss NFL starting center and will be there at 23.

As far as tackle is concerned, I don't trust the lot of them. Cannon is on the other side of the hill, Wynn hasn't shown an ability to give you a full season, and neither Cajuste nor Cunningham have proven they can play at this level against the edge rushers that will be intent on getting to whomever is taking snaps. In my view OT is the #1 priority for this team to rebuild that offense.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back