PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 mock drafts: what the pundits think

Dane Brugler (The Athletic): 2020 Mock Draft 5.0: All seven rounds and 255 picks

1 (23) DL Marlon Davidson, Auburn
3 (87) TE Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic
3 (98) EDGE Jabari Zuniga, Florida
3 (100) WR KJ Hill, Ohio State
4 (125) LB Davion Taylor, Colorado
5 (172) EDGE Anfernee Jennings, Alabama
6 (195) PK Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern
6 (204) QB Jake Luton, Oregon State
6 (212) OG Tremayne Anchrum, Clemson
6 (213) CB Kindle Vildor, Georgia Southern
7 (230) WR Joe Reed, Virginia
7 (241) OT Terence Steele, Texas Tech

PFF reminding us why they suck:

PFF 2020 NFL Three-Round Mock Draft: Colts take Jalen Hurts, Eagles pick Jacob Eason on Day 2 | College Football and NFL Draft | PFF

23. QB Jordan Love, Utah State

87. TE Adam Trautman, Dayton
98. CB(!!!) Troy Pride, Jr., Notre Dame
100. TE Hunter Bryant, Washington

hmm

We have four picks in the top 100. We end up with someone to compete with Stidham to be our future QB. We get two of the top TE prospects in the draft.

And, we whine. And, we whine. The worst part was not picking Bryant at 98.
==============
I will 100% clear. If we get these four, many will celebrate. OK, trade 98 into 2021 and we'd be ecstatic.

hmm

We have four picks in the top 100. We end up with someone to compete with Stidham to be our future QB. We get two of the top TE prospects in the draft.

And, we whine. And, we whine. The worst part was not picking Bryant at 98.
==============
I will 100% clear. If we get these four, many will celebrate. OK, trade 98 into 2021 and we'd be ecstatic.

Again, if you're drafting a first-round QB, you're not bringing him in to "compete."

New Leader in the Clubhouse for worst Mock Draft:

Peter Schrager NFL mock draft 2.0: Ruggs selected before Jeudy

PICK 23

Harrison Bryant - TE
School: FAU | Year: Senior

First time you've seen Bryant's name in the first round of a mock draft? Don't be shocked -- I can see it happening. New England has tried to get Jared Cook and Hayden Hurst in back-to-back offseasons, with no success. Bryant is a big body who can both catch balls and block. He isn't Gronk, but no one is. What he can be is a building block for whomever Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels groom to be the QB of the future.​

PICK 23

Harrison Bryant - TE

First time you've seen Bryant's name in the first round of a mock draft? Don't be shocked -- I can see it happening. New England has tried to get Jared Cook and Hayden Hurst in back-to-back offseasons, with no success. Bryant is a big body who can both catch balls and block. He isn't Gronk, but no one is. What he can be is a building block for whomever Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels groom to be the QB of the future.​
Gross. I'm pretty sure I've seen more people with Bryant as a day 3 prospect than day 1.

Gross. I'm pretty sure I've seen more people with Bryant as a day 3 prospect than day 1.
He's not going Day 1, don't think any TE should

Check out the new Patriots seven-round mock draft - Pats Pulpit

Trades
Patriots trade picks 3-98 and 3-100 to Jacksonville for pick 3-73.
Patriots trade picks 5-173 and 6-204 to Chicago for pick 5-163 and a 2021 fifth-round selection.
Patriots trade picks 6-212 and 6-213 to the Los Angeles Rams for pick 6-199.

23. EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU
73. TE Adam Trautman, Dayton
87. WR Lynn Bowden Jr, Kentucky
125. S K’Von Wallace, Clemson
163. G Jonah Jackson, Ohio State
195. WR James Proche, SMU
199. LB Markus Bailey, Purdue
230. K Rodrigo Blankenship, Georgia
241. QB Nate Stanley, Iowa

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/17/nfl-mock-draft-16-all-seven-rounds

23. A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
87. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
98. Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech
100. Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
125. Lynn Bowden Jr., WR, Kentucky
172. Kindle Vildor, CB, Georgia Southern
195. Jake Luton, QB, Oregon State
204. Josiah Deguara, TE, Cincinnati
212. Robert Windsor, IDL, Penn State
213. Jordan Fuller, S, Ohio State
230. Rodridgo Blankenship, K, Georgia
241. Cole McDonald, QB, Hawaii [!?!?!?]

Again, if you're drafting a first-round QB, you're not bringing him in to "compete."

IMO, all quarterbacks drafted in the first round shouldn't be expected to be starters in their rookie years. With regard to Love, if he were ready to start, he'd likely be a top 15 pick.

Last edited:
Chad Reuter seven-round 2020 NFL mock draft: Round 1

30. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU - PROJECTED TRADE WITH PACKERS. The Patriots swap first-rounders with the Packers and add third- and sixth-round picks in this move. My guess is that New England will then use its bevy of picks to move up in the second or third rounds -- or they might trade some combination of their (now) five selections between Nos. 87 and 125 for 2021 second- and third-rounders. Meanwhile, the Pats land a versatile defensive lineman here with real potential as an outside/inside force.

87. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
94. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
98. Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
100. Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State
125. Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest
172. Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia
192. Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame
195. Trishton Jackson, WR, Syracuse
204. Jordan Glasgow, LB, Michigan
212. Colton McKivitz, OG, West Virginia
213. Tyshun Render, EDGE, Middle Tennessee State
230. Branden Bowen, OT, Ohio State
241. Matthew Sexton, WR, Eastern Michigan

I mean, I give anyone props for putting together a seven-round mock draft, but this one leaves me with so... many... questions.

PICK 23

Harrison Bryant - TE

I LOVE Harrison Bryant, he could wind up being the best TE in this draft. If Belichick did this, I would not complain.

Wow, this is a solid draft, though I’d be shocked if they selected TWO QBs. 2 TEs and 2 WRs makes me happy though. And a beast in Epenesa in the 1st round, plus we get our kicker. I actually like McDonald more than Luton (gluten?) BTW.

Chad Reuter seven-round 2020 NFL mock draft: Round 1

30. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU - PROJECTED TRADE WITH PACKERS. The Patriots swap first-rounders with the Packers and add third- and sixth-round picks in this move. My guess is that New England will then use its bevy of picks to move up in the second or third rounds -- or they might trade some combination of their (now) five selections between Nos. 87 and 125 for 2021 second- and third-rounders. Meanwhile, the Pats land a versatile defensive lineman here with real potential as an outside/inside force.

87. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
94. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
98. Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
100. Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State
125. Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest
172. Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia
192. Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame
195. Trishton Jackson, WR, Syracuse
204. Jordan Glasgow, LB, Michigan
212. Colton McKivitz, OG, West Virginia
213. Tyshun Render, EDGE, Middle Tennessee State
230. Branden Bowen, OT, Ohio State
241. Matthew Sexton, WR, Eastern Michigan

I mean, I give anyone props for putting together a seven-round mock draft, but this one leaves me with so... many... questions.
LOVE Albert O at TE, most explosive TE in the draft. And Logan Wilson is a heat seeking missile type LB, love him. Jalen Hurts, I’m warming up to the idea of drafting him. Interesting Lamar Jackson type weapon at QB. Has a good arm, ran for 1200 yards last year at Oklahoma, pretty astounding considering he also threw 38 TD passes I believe.

I'm on board with Epenesa(though ideally in a trade down), Troutman, and even Brooks.

But I doubt we draft 2 slot receivers back to back. Neither guy brings what this team needs most(speed) and pretty much every wideout on the roster is a slot guy. Maybe not Harry, but Edelman, Sanu, Meyers, and even Olszweski. While I understand Gunner is no lock to make the team, it still comes down to guys with similar profiles fighting for roster spots and ALL of them playing the same role. We need variance. I'm not saying we won't draft one guy that can play in the slot, but I can't see using a 3rd and 4th on slots. We need speed, and someone that defenses need to worry about getting behind them. I dont think drsfting two guys that project in the same role, behind multiple guys already on the roster in those roles is the best usage. Jefferson and Bowden both have talent but they're redundant in the current landscape of the WR spot.

LOVE Albert O at TE, most explosive TE in the draft. And Logan Wilson is a heat seeking missile type LB, love him. Jalen Hurts, I’m warming up to the idea of drafting him. Interesting Lamar Jackson type weapon at QB. Has a good arm, ran for 1200 yards last year at Oklahoma, pretty astounding considering he also threw 38 TD passes I believe.

The physical ability is definitely something to dream on. But, to me, he's best if he's the 2nd of a double dip at the position this year. There are a lot of questions about his ability to develop and put that physical talent to good use. Beyond that, I would be concerned with him missing time in back to back years with injuries to the same shoulder.

If we go Kmet or Trautman and come back with him in the 4th, trying to use him as a mismatch, I'm good. Id be concerned if he's the one guy we add and future hopes at the position are pinned on him.

Patriots 2020 mock draft: A QB falls into their lap and skill positions get a major upgrade

And now the head-scratcher part. . . .

TRADE! SECOND ROUND, 50th OVERALL (FROM CHI): JORDAN LOVE, QB, UTAH STATE — The Patriots ship off Joe Thuney to the Bears in exchange for this pick, which thrusts Kindley into a situation where he should start on Day 1. In terms of Love, I really didn't want to draft him for the Patriots. He just doesn't make much sense for New England, which needs a starting-caliber quarterback right now. He'll take time to develop after a rough 17-interception season. But at 50th overall, the upside will be too tempting for Belichick and Josh McDaniels. They'll have faith they can fix Love, and propel him onto a special career. In the meantime, the Patriots might just ride with Brian Hoyer to start 2020, especially if there are limited offseason workouts.

Patriots 2020 mock draft: A QB falls into their lap and skill positions get a major upgrade

And now the head-scratcher part. . . .

TRADE! SECOND ROUND, 50th OVERALL (FROM CHI): JORDAN LOVE, QB, UTAH STATE — The Patriots ship off Joe Thuney to the Bears in exchange for this pick, which thrusts Kindley into a situation where he should start on Day 1. In terms of Love, I really didn't want to draft him for the Patriots. He just doesn't make much sense for New England, which needs a starting-caliber quarterback right now. He'll take time to develop after a rough 17-interception season. But at 50th overall, the upside will be too tempting for Belichick and Josh McDaniels. They'll have faith they can fix Love, and propel him onto a special career. In the meantime, the Patriots might just ride with Brian Hoyer to start 2020, especially if there are limited offseason workouts.

I'm fine with Love there(zero chance it happens), and Trautman and Claypool(as a TE) are fine.

But the first 2 ... man. That's rough. Kindley should not be going 34th, and should not be ahead of Ruiz. With a trade of Thuney, Ruiz would make plenty of sense. But not passing on him for Kindley. And Jennings at 44 would be a disappointment as well. Just too early, and he brings nothing that we actually need in the Van Noy role. He's going to struggle in coverage in the NFL.

I love the Kindley pick. I think he is the best interior lineman in this draft. In the running game, he is a monster. When he goes forward, defenders go backwards.

pass protection is not great, but better than Mason’s!

if we trade thuney, kindley or brederson would be perfect replacements.

I love the Kindley pick. I think he is the best interior lineman in this draft. In the running game, he is a monster. When he goes forward, defenders go backwards.

pass protection is not great, but better than Mason’s!

if we trade thuney, kindley or brederson would be perfect replacements.

To each their own. Ruiz is in a class of his own to me, but I applaud going out on a limb.

But, even if you have that stance, you cant defend taking him at 34. Hes just not worth that high of a pick.

I love the Kindley pick. I think he is the best interior lineman in this draft.
FWIW, The Athletic compiled player rankings from 54 different sources into one composite list.

According to them, Kindley is the consensus 9th-best guard in the draft, placing 162nd on their composite big board.

In addition, they polled a series of scouts, and the scouts didn't put him in their Top 10 players at guard.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back