PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 mock drafts: what the pundits think

Three of their last four QB draft picks are below-average on hand size (only Brissett is >50th percentile).

In any case, I can't see any scenario in which the Pats spend a first-round pick on a QB this year. If Brady comes back and they use that pick on a QB, it will not end well. If Brady doesn't come back, it still would make more sense to see what you have in Stidham and use that first-rounder on someone who can help regardless of who the QB is.
I do agree unless you are much higher on Loves ceiling than Stidhams.

DraftTek finally added comp picks. They're still missing some picks, though. :rolleyes:

For the record, they currently see QB as a "depth need."

23. OT Austin Jackson, USC
87. WR Denzel Mims, Baylor
97. TE Colby Parkinson, Stanford
99. DT Jordan Elliott, Missouri

122. EDGE Trevon Hill, Miami
195. RB Salvon Ahmed, Washington
205. ILB Cam Brown, Penn State
212. DL Adam Shuler, Florida
213. CB Reggie Robinson, Temple
235. QB James Morgan, FIU
Adding Jackson, Mims & Parkinson to the offense would be a big boost. I'm a big fan of Mims and Parkinson, great red zone targets with great catch radiuses (good for an aging QB who is getting less accurate). I've seen games that Salvon Ahmed played, he's a good back that runs hard. Morgan has a very good arm, he'd be an interesting project.

I do agree unless you are much higher on Loves ceiling than Stidhams.
No offense meant, but I think Love MIGHT be the most overrated QB in this draft. Me personally, I rather roll with Stidham. Stidham was a 1st round value that we got in the 4th round. Love is a 3rd round value who will go in the 1st or 2nd round. Should be interesting to see who winds up being the better player.

Albert O is a weird prospect. He has a massive frame but he doesn’t get a whole hell of a lot of separation. He makes contested catches and Brady has never really been a guy to throw contested balls. I’ve also thought he struggled in the run blocking department when I’ve watched him, but that seems to be an issue with technique as well.
I LOVE Albert O as a prospect. Of all of the TEs, he's the most physically talented. He went from Drew Lock to a horrible QB this year.

No offense meant, but I think Love MIGHT be the most overrated QB in this draft. Me personally, I rather roll with Stidham. Stidham was a 1st round value that we got in the 4th round. Love is a 3rd round value who will go in the 1st or 2nd round. Should be interesting to see who winds up being the better player.
They compare his Arms to Allen he’s athletic and seems like a good kid.
He has some shades of Mahomes, Watson.
Somebody will take him in the first.
Again Stidham was the second QB on my board last season behind Lock.
I never saw a change of us getting Murray.

They compare his Arms to Allen he’s athletic and seems like a good kid.
He has some shades of Mahomes, Watson.
Somebody will take him in the first.
Again Stidham was the second QB on my board last season behind Lock.
I never saw a change of us getting Murray.
Stidham reminds me of Jimmy G, quick release (maybe not as quick), but a slightly stronger arm.

Good comparison for Love, he has some Watson in him, don't really see much Mahomes in him, though he is pretty accurate throwing on the run (not a running QB though).

Stidham reminds me of Jimmy G, quick release (maybe not as quick), but a slightly stronger arm.

Good comparison for Love, he has some Watson in him, don't really see much Mahomes in him, though he is pretty accurate throwing on the run (not a running QB though).
Stidhams release could improve with confidence in the system and confidence in his receivers.
He throws a great ball but if you are BB and think Love could be a special talent you make that pick even if another position is weaker for a year or 2.
My preference is sign Mariota And let him and Jarret fight it out

Stidhams release could improve with confidence in the system and confidence in his receivers.
He throws a great ball but if you are BB and think Love could be a special talent you make that pick even if another position is weaker for a year or 2.
My preference is sign Mariota And let him and Jarret fight it out

Serious, non-snarky question: how much do you envision it would cost to sign Mariota?

Serious, non-snarky question: how much do you envision it would cost to sign Mariota?
I think it depends on competitor for his services or if we see him as a starter if we see him as a starter 2 year deal 2 year deal 19 Million with a player option majority of the money front loaded.
If we view him as open completion with Stidham I think 1 year 5.5 Million.

Chad Reuter has an . . . interesting 3-rounder:

Patriots trade down from 23 to 38 to let CAR draft Jordan Love. They get picks in 2021(!?!) for their trouble.

Then . . .

38. Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia (!)
87. Anfernee Jennings, EDGE, Alabama
98. Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU
100. Robert Windsor, DT, Penn State

Three-round 2020 NFL mock draft 2.0: Eagles hit DBs in Round 3

Not a mock. But, Matt Miller has a pre-Combine Top 100.

2020 NFL Draft Big Board: Matt Miller's Top Players at Start of Scouting Combine.

I think I'd trade down at 23. 23 for Carolina 2 and 3.

2. Raekwon Davis - DE - Bama
3. Adam Trautman - TE - Toledo
3. Van Jefferson - WR - Florida
supp Harrison Bryant - TE - Florida Atlantic
supp Ben Bredeson - G - Michigan

I do lot have Bryant on my draft board.

but if kmet runs under a 4.7, then I would trade down into the early second round and take him. (Provides kinlaw and Espinoza are off the board at 23.)

I do lot have Bryant on my draft board.

but if kmet runs under a 4.7, then I would trade down into the early second round and take him. (Provides kinlaw and Espinoza are off the board at 23.)
Epenesa didn’t have a great combine. That doesn’t worry me as much as weight. He was 279. Thought he was bigger than that. Looks like he’s going to be there at 23. I’d still take him. He’s a true junior. Not a 5th year guy. Should be able to get up to 295-300 in a year. May not be a plug and play pick. Neither was a guy like Ty Warren

Epenesa didn’t have a great combine. That doesn’t worry me as much as weight. He was 279. Thought he was bigger than that. Looks like he’s going to be there at 23. I’d still take him. He’s a true junior. Not a 5th year guy. Should be able to get up to 295-300 in a year. May not be a plug and play pick. Neither was a guy like Ty Warren

he is a lot like warren but with more pass rush ability,

NFL mock draft 2020: Combine results shake up first-round picks for Cowboys, Packers, Browns, others

23. New England Patriots (12-4): Grant Delpit, S, LSU
The Patriots need to get younger at safety given their starters are pending free agent Devin McCourty and Patrick Chung. Delpit flies around the field, stopping the run like an extra linebacker and making big plays on the ball in downfield coverage. He plays like the Chargers' Derwin James with tremendous hybrid size (6-2, 213 pounds) for the position.

I read Michael Holley's book "Patriot Reign" a few years ago - I thought it was pretty good with some nice insights. It included one line I've never really forgotten that relates to drafting defensive players. BB was watching film on a DB who had an issue with missing tackles, and Belichick finally got disgusted watching the film and kind of scowled at the room "Don't show me a guy who can't tackle, because where will I play him?"

The Patriots traditionally have a small draft board. I wouldn't be shocked if Delpit wasn't on it.

I read Michael Holley's book "Patriot Reign" a few years ago - I thought it was pretty good with some nice insights. It included one line I've never really forgotten that relates to drafting defensive players. BB was watching film on a DB who had an issue with missing tackles, and Belichick finally got disgusted watching the film and kind of scowled at the room "Don't show me a guy who can't tackle, because where will I play him?"

The Patriots traditionally have a small draft board. I wouldn't be shocked if Delpit wasn't on it.
Depends on how easily you think his tackling issues can be fixed. He never looked shy about contact to me, but his technique needs a lot of work. Lowers his head a lot and loses track of the ball carrier.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/04/patriots-2020-mock-draft-what-happens-if-tom-brady-leaves/

1. Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
2 [trade two 3s]. Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia
3. Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
4a. Leki Fotu, DL, Utah
4b. Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic [Both are listed as "from CHI"??]
5(!) [trade two 6s]. Chris Finke, WR, Notre Dame
6a. Derrek Tuszka, EDGE, North Dakota State
6b. Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia
7a. Shyheim Carter, DB, Alabama
7b. John Molchon, OL, Boise State
7c. Terence Steele, OL, Texas Tech

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes